Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hamer Eclipse pick up ?

hamerican gigolo

Question

I have a 1996 Hamer USA Eclipse with the stock p.u.'s. I never really noticed it before, but

the neck acts like a true single coil. A slight buzz that ends if you touch the strings,

metal parts, etc. The bridge is a lot less noticeable. Is this normal? The green wires are

going to the switch & the red & white ones are taped off. The black is ground, of course.

Just thought it strange & would like to ask someone who is more knowledgeable than I.

4 answers to this question

Since the stock Eclipse pickups are mini-humbuckers, there should very little, if any, circuit noise.

I've had a couple of guitars that had the exact same symptom, a buzz that stops when you touch the string.  The culprit in both cases was a bridge ground wire not making a solid connection (on one, the bridge end of the wire was making inconsistent contact with the bridge; on the other, there was a bad solder joint on the common ground end in the control cavity).

Hope you find the gremlin.  :)

I think i found what it was. I bought this guit used. I really didn't use the stock p.u.'s

because i stuck a set of SD Ant IIs into it. I tried to put the stock ones back in because

i was considering selling it. Now, here's where it gets interesting. The p.u.'s must have

been reversed because the leads were cut to size. In other words, the bridge was where

the neck was supposed to be & vice versa. Weird. I tried to splice a wire into the neck

to compensate, but i forgot about the bare ground wire. That's why it was buzzing. So,

necessity being the mother of invention. I took the neck pickup with the longer lead &

made a FB I/EVH type with bridge p.u. only. It reads about 7k & right now I'm just diggin'

it! I like 1 pickup guits. 

Archived