Hamer Fan Club Message Center

David Lee Roth/John 5 album being released

tommy p

12 minutes ago, bubs_42 said:

Good, I can't wait to hear it! 

Do the needful, report and I will say the same or reject.

John 5 is a monster player and he did some good work with Roth on the DLR band record. I’ll be interested to hear what this is like. I’m more skeptical of Dave’s vocals than anything else. 

I can't imagine any guitarist, alive or dead, being able to balance out the awfulness of an aged DLR. Even if you were to assemble a stage full of rock's best and brightest and bump them up in the mix, the moment DLR starts "singing" the show's DOA.  Just my .02

6 hours ago, diablo175 said:

I can't imagine any guitarist, alive or dead, being able to balance out the awfulness of an aged DLR. Even if you were to assemble a stage full of rock's best and brightest and bump them up in the mix, the moment DLR starts "singing" the show's DOA.  Just my .02

In his heyday, he was a true badass--at least IMHO. But frankly, his musical contributions would be more easily appreciated if he'd pulled a Hendrix/Joplin/Morrison and shed his mortal coil in his late twenties.

ETA:  Yeah, Roth has not aged exceptionally well for a guy who seemed to me a Daltrey-like rock god, but to compare him to Jim Dandy...nah.  DLR looks more and more like Malcolm McDowell, which means he looks like a bony old guy with a buzz cut. Jim Dandy looks like....well....this:

spacer.png

4 hours ago, Biz Prof said:

But frankly, his musical contributions would be more easily appreciated if he'd pulled a Hendrix/Joplin/Morrison and shed his mortal coil in his late twenties.

That’s a fucked up thing to post. Like school in summertime: no class. 

Something to note- this was recorded in 2014, just 2 years after the VH reunion album.  The engineers were able to get a decent sound with what Dave gave them on that, pretty sure this disc will be able to pull at least that level of quality out of Roth’s takes.

I love Dave and everything he stands for! Its HIM who understood that Van Halen was the DAD playing swing through the sons w him doing Loius Prima on top. Then he goes and become an NYC emt. Dave is the fuckin man

8 hours ago, RobB said:

That’s a fucked up thing to post. Like school in summertime: no class. 

It was a fucked up thing to post, but let's be honest: it's not wrong.  He'd be a total legend if he'd gone out in his prime.  

I guess this is just another example of the old staple:  Always leave them wanting more.

p.s.  Nicely played with the Dangerfield line.  :) 

49 minutes ago, sixesandsevens said:

It was a fucked up thing to post, but let's be honest: it's not wrong.  He'd be a total legend if he'd gone out in his prime.  

I guess this is just another example of the old staple:  Always leave them wanting more.

I took it in the spirit Biz Prof likely intended it : His career should have gone the way of Hendrix/Joplin/Morrison; Come to screeching halt. Not necessarily for the reasons theirs did. But let's face it, DLR could no more walk away from performing while he has breath left in his body than he could stop breathing. For that reason, a premature demise might've been the only possible way to see that happen. 

And yes, he'd have gone out a total fucking legend.

Again, just my .02.

20 hours ago, Ed Rechts said:

Somebody leaked some footage of DLRs upcoming Vegas review rehearsals onto YouTube last Friday, which was promptly deleted the next day.

Just fucking awful. Three guitar players in the band doing VH staples and DLR wandering around stage wheezing and bellowing like an Alzheimer's victim retelling  the happiest moments of his life to a bemused yet uninterested hospice gathering that just missed 4pm dinner call.

You sir, have a way with words!  Couldn't have said it better...

I saw VH / Davis Lee Roth in the early 80s.  He rarely sang.  He did a lot of jumping, sword twirling, and screaming, but very little actual singing.  The band was awesome though. 

4 hours ago, it's me HHB said:

I love Dave and everything he stands for! Its HIM who understood that Van Halen was the DAD playing swing through the sons w him doing Loius Prima on top. Then he goes and become an NYC emt. Dave is the fuckin man

Roth is an interesting, odd, and intelligent guy. I'm going to guess he's somewhere on the spectrum. I've always found it odd though that with the amount of effort he has put into his non musical endeavors (mountain climbing, martial arts, learning Japanese, the EMT thing, etc.) he never seemed to do much about trying to be a good singer live?

21 minutes ago, Stike said:

Roth is an interesting, odd, and intelligent guy. I'm going to guess he's somewhere on the spectrum. I've always found it odd though that with the amount of effort he has put into his non musical endeavors (mountain climbing, martial arts, learning Japanese, the EMT thing, etc.) he never seemed to do much about trying to be a good singer live?

Where would learning to sing better get him that he wasn't already?  If he felt like he was giving a good show every night and people kept paying, it must have been working for everyone.  :) 

44 minutes ago, Ed Rechts said:

Bill is right,  Roth is a song-and-dance man of the old school variety. He's said so in many interviews. I think he thought of himself as a white Sammy Davis Jr., albeit, Sammy was more rounded and supremely talented.   He's more frontman than singer, for sure, but I think he actually CAN sing, he just prefers not to. Like Bartleby the Scribner in spandex pants.

You gotta admit, he was pretty clever writing catchy anthemic choruses for the fans to echo back to him on stage, which saved him a lot of vocal wear-and-tear out on the road. And although I find him amusing in that unapologetically adolescent bro-venturous kind of way, I know being around that personality for an excessive period would wear thin quickly for bandmates.  Like it tends to with all heavy cocaine users that babble incessantly as if every quip out of their mouths was some gold nugget of clever insight to be cherished and rendered into a pocket mantra. Not that I know ANYTHING about that (**cough*cough**).

He does play the indulgent hedonistic rockstar persona to the hilt, which is a skill that deserves appreciation in any western culture worth celebrating, to be sure. The new promo for his upcoming Vegas review is pretty damn funny:

Edited to add: To bring this thread partly back to OP's topic, there is a rumor going around Hollywood this week that Motley Crue is going back out on tour next year with John 5 in the Mick Mars slot. While I can't abide those bloated fucks in Crue milking their notoriety to collect the millions of dollars that dejected KISS fans are accustomed to throwing away annually, I would love to see John 5 get more exposure to the uninitiated mainstream classic rock crowd and the kids still disposed to picking up a musical instrument for the purposes of playing it in lieu of posing with it.. 

The bolded reminded me of this.

https://www.maximumfun.org/tags/david-lee-roth

And Motley Crue should be replacing Vince not Mick.

Archived