Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Guitar heroes of the next decade

gorch

Apart from current heroes, who do you think will become a guitar hero in the next century?

I start with J.D. Simo. Following him for quite a while, I think he could become known to a wider audience in the long term. He has earned a lot of respect already.

Brian May would have a hard time to stay on the list. Possibly requires another re-release of Borap.

What are the talents you see?

1 hour ago, gorch said:

Apart from current heroes, who do you think will become a guitar hero in the next century?

I start with J.D. Simo. Following him for quite a while, I think he could become known to a wider audience in the long term. He has earned a lot of respect already.

Brian May would have a hard time to stay on the list. Possibly requires another re-release of Borap.

What are the talents you see?

J.D. is one bad ass. I remember seeing him when he was a teenager in Phoenix. He is on his way to becoming a major league entertainer.

4 minutes ago, shankyboy said:

J.D. is one bad ass. I remember seeing him when he was a teenager in Phoenix. He is on his way to becoming a major league entertainer.

If he's still playing in the next century, he would indeed be one bad ass.

3 hours ago, kizanski said:

J.D. Simo will be 115 years old in 2100.

Thanks! Title changed.

19 hours ago, kizanski said:

If he's still playing in the next century, he would indeed be one bad ass.

True. I was simply commenting on J.D.'s abilities and overlooking the original topic of the thread. 

1 minute ago, shankyboy said:

True. I was simply commenting on J.D.'s abilities and overlooking the original topic of the thread. 

Don't know how you could overlook a centenarian guitar player.

Tim Pierce has upcoming players on his video sight often.

He also has great players from the past.

He himself is a great player but since his touring time with 867-5209 he’s been a session guy, so the next greats may not even be in bands but may be all over great new recordings!

how’s my phrasing? I sucked at english!!!

2 hours ago, Dutchman said:

the next greats may not even be in bands

Yeah, maybe the new media will show up new talents differently except in bands. Maybe this is already the case for quite some artists. Nevertheless, there will be some. 

I think there are a LOT of dazzling players from a technical standpoint. Heck, there are little five-year-old Asian girls on YouTube that can shred with the best of them.

But actual guitar heroes? Seems to me that what really made one a guitar hero had more to do with influence, innovation, originality, the chops, and the ability to write memorable and inspiring music. Lots of people can dazzle me from a technical perspective, but what is there left to innovate? I suppose one might have asked that same question during Hendrix's peak, but seriously, what hasn't been done on a guitar? One thing I've realized is that being "different" is easy. It's being qualitatively different in a positive way that makes a difference.

These days I'm just happy when I hear a player that plays well and writes some music that I can enjoy.

Archived