Hamer Fan Club Message Center

NHD My First Cali Edition

Keoghpjk

Last week one of my contacts at GC who knows of my fondness for Chaparrals told me one had popped-up as part a large collection brought in at a Dallas store. There were no pictures yet for the listing, and when I called the store to get a description it became clear they had a miss-labeled Cali on their hands. My interest has usually been for Chaparrals, and I was initially going to pass, but the fact this '88 Cali was bone stock original with OBLs, a recessed OFR and boomers peaked my interest. After a little bit of back and forth I decided I needed to finally get a Cali in my fleet. It arrived today and holy hell is it wonderful! An absolutely simple yet elegant and refined machine!

The story I was given indicated it was sold to GC by the original owner who bought it in London. It's definitely been played (the back of the neck is worn-in quite beautifully), but it's been well cared for over the years. I was told the case was what it came in when it was bought new, but I've never seen this particular kind of case previously. It's quite nice, and fits the guitar like a glove.

IMG_0891.jpgIMG_0892.jpgIMG_0893.jpgIMG_0894.jpgIMG_0895.jpg

Can't go wrong with a boomered Cali. ;) Nice freakin' score, man! Looks beauteous!

ETA-- if you do any sort of whammy-ing and expect dependable performance from your locking trem, you might consider swapping that old Schaller out for a newer one. The softer die cast metal in the base plate tends to strip faster and saddle screw holes quit doing their job. Saddles will not stay put. The newer ones have hardened steel inserts.

3 hours ago, diablo175 said:

Can't go wrong with a boomered Cali. ;) Nice freakin' score, man! Looks beauteous!

ETA-- if you do any sort of whammy-ing and expect dependable performance from your locking trem, you might consider swapping that old Schaller out for a newer one. The softer die cast metal in the base plate tends to strip faster and saddle screw holes quit doing their job. Saddles will not stay put. The newer ones have hardened steel inserts.

Go ahead and tell him to replace the toggle switch.  This is a safe space.

39 minutes ago, sixesandsevens said:

Go ahead and tell him to replace the toggle switch.  This is a safe space.

Nahhhh... some people don't understand and can't handle the toggle. The struggle is real. Toggles rule but they're not for everyone.  😆

2 hours ago, mrjamiam said:

Who gets a case from GC? 😁

I never hold my breath any case will stay with the guitar when dealing with used GC buys, but I’ve learned to ask them track it down while I’m on the phone with them and then I ask them to send me a pic of the case tag. Then I hope against hope that they remember to actually put the guitar in the case after they ring up the purchase. That part’s a crapshoot. 

I recently snagged a ‘14 Gretsch PowerJet at the local GC. The dicks, “couldn’t find the case, sir. Our warehouse is a mess.” Idiots...I had a short gig at GC in Chicago (and previous to that, Haight-Ashbury Music Ctr.), and I never did a sale where I couldn’t produce the case. 

However, it ended up a happy story, as fuckstick ordered me a new case from OEM. Took three weeks to get it, and I gave man-bun back his RoadRunner gig bag. 

The Gretsch is awesome! My third Japanese one and the quality is really impressive. I’ll have to do a NGD post soon. 

The best case story I read on this forum was several years ago when an HFC-er ordered a case for his Hamer (Special, Duotone, something similar), and the numbnuts on the other end of the phone sent him the case without looking inside--which contained a Korina Special (IIRC).

Archived