Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Market for Standards

Cary

So what’s everyone’s take on the current market for Standards?  I see the same few on Reverb for over $4K, but besides that, with a few exceptions, I’m not even seeing much even for sale.  Are the sub-$3K Standards being scooped up as soon as they get posted, or are people just hanging on to them?  I remember 10 to 20 years ago, there were always Standards for sale at decent prices, although they usually sold right away.  Now they are few and far between.

I’m just glad I scored one last year for a decent price - I love that guitar, and I’ll probably never let it go...

You could do an 'advanced' search for completed Hamer Standard auctions on Ebay, to see what's sold (or not) in the past several months, and how much they went for.  I'm not sure if there's an easier way to find out on Reverb, but I usually do a Google search for items on Reverb.  There's a surprising number of past Reverb listings, regardless of whether they've sold or not, that pop up when just doing that, depending on what you're looking for.  Some Reverb listings I've looked at are as old as five years back...just type in 'Reverb Hamer Standard' and see what happens.  You can also look it up on Reverb's 'Price Guide', but AFAIK I don't believe that shows previous listings with photos and details, only price trends on a graph.  If not many have actually sold, then there won't be much data (of course).  If there's an easier way at looking at Reverb past listings, please let me know!

7 minutes ago, Studio Custom said:

It is high tide, therefore many people do not to sell toys to make their rent.   When this bubble pops lots of guitars will flood the market and become cheap again.  

TICK TICK TICK, it's going to happen anytime now. 

34 minutes ago, Studio Custom said:

It is high tide, therefore many people do not to sell toys to make their rent.   When this bubble pops lots of guitars will flood the market and become cheap again.  

Not 221...

kmKzssR.jpg

2 hours ago, Cary said:

So what’s everyone’s take on the current market for Standards?  I see the same few on Reverb for over $4K, but besides that, with a few exceptions, I’m not even seeing much even for sale.  Are the sub-$3K Standards being scooped up as soon as they get posted, or are people just hanging on to them?  I remember 10 to 20 years ago, there were always Standards for sale at decent prices, although they usually sold right away.  Now they are few and far between.

I tend to believe it's the combination of improved economy (as mentioned) & the perception of improving value/collectability (Hamer's closing).

That being said, mine's been up for sale here @ $3k for two weeks with no interest. I've had some interest over on ebay & reverb, but they've wanted me to give it away to them for less than that (before fees & shipping). Must be the hardware... I'm about ready to pull it & hang on to it for a while... like most everyone else. 

Reverb has a filter to see sold listings now.  You can also then sort them most recent first.  Though it doesn’t always show the actual price if an offer was made and accepted.  It will show the  last listed price (tricky bastards trying to push up sales prices).  It seems most USA  maple topped standards (not 4 digits) are going for right at 3k.  

The big Problem with reverb  is the forever listings, which make most people think they need to list their similar guitars at the prices of the ones on there that have been for sale for 2-3 years.  

0FC85C3F-193D-4A76-8B2E-3AC765986055.png

I’m actually giving home to some of these type of guitars, keeping the market tight and prices up. Never mind, I just love them - until the prices are right - and will never sell. B) 

I run a home for disused and unloved Standards right here in my house.

Please send me your tired, your pizzitis'd, your this-just-doesn't-fit-my-style, homeless Standards.

I will give them love. You WILL feel better about it.

spacer.png

10 hours ago, Ua D said:

Reverb has a filter to see sold listings now.  You can also then sort them most recent first.  Though it doesn’t always show the actual price if an offer was made and accepted.  It will show the  last listed price (tricky bastards trying to push up sales prices).  It seems most USA  maple topped standards (not 4 digits) are going for right at 3k.  

The big Problem with reverb  is the forever listings, which make most people think they need to list their similar guitars at the prices of the ones on there that have been for sale for 2-3 years.  

0FC85C3F-193D-4A76-8B2E-3AC765986055.png

Thanks for the heads-up, I didn’t know you could do that on Reverb now.  Still not a lot of Standards moving recently...  As an aside, mine is shown in that group, although I paid significantly less than the asking price :)

2 minutes ago, Cary said:

although I paid significantly less than the asking price :)

Actually, this is a sentence sellers don’t like to see made public.

Too political, gents.   Keep it clean.

On 10/4/2019 at 10:25 AM, gorch said:

Actually, this is a sentence sellers don’t like to see made public.

Are you saying it’s some kind of secret that you can use the “Make an Offer” button?    My guess is a lot of the stuff on Reverb sells at less than asking price.

19 minutes ago, Cary said:

Are you saying it’s some kind of secret that you can use the “Make an Offer” button?    My guess is a lot of the stuff on Reverb sells at less than asking price.

That depends...if the listing has been up for more than a month or two, then very likely it will.  If it just got listed, then not so much, depending on the offer.

26 minutes ago, Cary said:

Absolutely correct. At some Point it even is a significant difference. I was just saying!

1 hour ago, crunchee said:

That depends...if the listing has been up for more than a month or two, then very likely it will.  If it just got listed, then not so much, depending on the offer.

I think every bass and guitar I’ve bought off of Reverb (3 total) was based on an offer.  Can’t vouch for how long they were listed, though.

Here's an interesting example some of us would've loved to have seen coming...

Recent Mahogany Standard on Reverb

Same Mahogany Standard on The Gear Page

On the surface, this one doesn't seem to make a whole lotta' sense -- It was listed well below what it should have brought, on a fee-charging site, followed by listing on a general discussion board other than the HFC... and the dude is a long-time member here! It took all of about 4 minutes to sell it for about $100 in fees. For whatever his reason(s) being, I hope it was worth the $500 he likely missed out on by not listing it here first.

(my apologies to the seller if it was a deeply personal matter)     

2 minutes ago, Crwth145 said:

Here's an interesting example some of us would've loved to have seen coming...

Recent Mahogany Standard on Reverb

Same Mahogany Standard on The Gear Page

On the surface, this one doesn't seem to make a whole lotta' sense -- It was listed well below what it should have brought, on a fee-charging site, followed by listing on a general discussion board other than the HFC... and the dude is a long-time member here! It took all of about 4 minutes to sell it for about $100 in fees. For whatever his reason(s) being, I hope it was worth the $500 he likely missed out on by not listing it here first.

(my apologies to the seller if it was a deeply personal matter)     

He was banned from the HFC maybe 10 years ago.

Archived