Hamer Fan Club Message Center

RIP Ginger Baker

seeker

Sad news.  But more interesting is the fact that evidently Mr. Baker invented the Time Machine, and snuck his way into the Beatle's film A HARD DAYS NIGHT...

blob.pngblob.png

16 hours ago, Studio Custom said:

He was a heavy smoker that lived until 80, that's pretty good actually.   

And he turned 80 exactly a week ago. I think the unusual survival story is that he was such a $h!thead that someone didn't beat him to a pulp years ago.

On 9/25/2019 at 6:03 PM, svl said:

Sad news.  But more interesting is the fact that evidently Mr. Baker invented the Time Machine, and snuck his way into the Beatle's film A HARD DAYS NIGHT...

blob.pngblob.png

A rock star who is best known as a grumpy old man.

spacer.png

The man was a human metronome. Bassist Jeff Berlin once described Baker as having 'perfect disco timing'. From what I heard in more recent times, he continued to thrive and his abilities never diminished.

One thing I found that was curious was that his somewhat-different speaking voice in real life matched what I'd heard in "Pressed Rat and Warthog"...

Ginger was in this band (Hawkwind, one of my faves) for their Levitation album.  One of the tracks below.

Their then-current drummer completed the album, but it was a struggle. Ginger came in and completly overdubbed every track in a bit over a day.  Was just supposed to be a studio gig, but he liked the material so joined the band and toured it.  Willie's right, his timing is spot on. 

Needless to say, things happened after, (he wanted to fire the bassist) so it ended up being a one off. 

Excuse the 1980, pre- MTV histrionics, lol. 

RIP Ginger.  I saw him play in Hawkwind on their 'Levitation' tour,  was a great gig but then very Hawkwind gig I saw was great.  I used to like being up close to the front and bop about as a younger teenager but once I got to 20 I'd go up in the circle with my dearly departed other half, both off our heads on spacecake, letting the music flow over & through us.  I wonder if rock music and it's various sub-genres will survive into another century or will it disappear as all the great names slowly die off and it ends up being seen as a footnote of human development in cultural documentaries? 

Just watched 'Beware of Mr. Baker', what an irascible old cockney geezer he was.  I get the feeling he was just miserable because he got clean after using H for a couple of decades or so and it left a huge hole he never managed to fill.    Drugs are baaad. mm'kay.

But he Is Clean...............................Very Clean.

A recurring line in 1964's "A Hard Day's Night." I didn't find out about the origin of that line until about 50 years later.

"Grandpa" was played by the actor, Wilfred Brambell, who played Steptoe in the British sit-com, "Steptoe and Son," the inspiration for the American sit-com, "Sanford and Son." Brambell was best known in England at the time as the  owner/operator of a junk and salvage operation sit-com. So the "he's very clean" line was a British inside joke referring to Brambell's other role.

Archived