Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Bonamassa Tickets......

....at the Orpheum Theater here in Madison (cap.: 1700): $145 for the cheap seats, $681 for the best.

Insanity.

Crowd control shouldn't be an issue.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, hamerhead said:

....at the Orpheum Theater here in Madison (cap.: 1700): $145 for the cheap seats, $681 for the best.

Insanity.

I paid $6 to see Kiss and Uriah Heep at my first concert.  Just paid about $75 a ticket for Frampton.  Not paying double to see Joe B.  Love him, but there's plenty of live stuff on line to placate me.

I like JB, but he doesn’t seem to miss a hustle. He has new CDs and dvds out several times a year. He charges a lot for his concerts,  but people pay it. He finances everything he does. I can only imagine how much the t-shirts are....I get it in a way since there is no monetization of music anymore. Streaming has killed it. They gotta raise ticket prices, merch prices, and tour a lot. 
 “They” gotta figure out how to monetize music again so musicians can make money. 

Joe has done it his way in the  era of streaming by keeping fresh product out three and touring incessantly. 

T-shirts at the last Bonamassa show I attended were around $35-40 - about the same as other shows.  It's gotta be tough to come up with the money when you finance everything yourself, and JB carries a lot of old guitars.  The last time I saw Nita Strauss, at her VIP thing, someone asked her what amps she was using that night, and she said it was all a modeler.  The guy must have scoffed or something, and she said, "Hey, I know.  I'd rather have a real amp behind me, but I'm paying for everything, and it costs a lot to ship amps across the country, then city to city every night."  It's not cheap not getting screwed by record companies.

I'm a big fan and I get that touring is expensive, but Joe isn't exactly a household name. And would you rather play to a 1/2 empty over-priced room or a sold-out reasonably-priced room where more people might have money left for a t-shirt or CD?

2 minutes ago, hamerhead said:

I'm a big fan and I get that touring is expensive, but Joe isn't exactly a household name. And would you rather play to a 1/2 empty over-priced room or a sold-out reasonably-priced room where more people might have money left for a t-shirt or CD?

Is there any evidence that he plays to half-empty rooms?

At the end of the day, simple economics dictate everything. If no one buys the tickets, the price comes down. And if JB loses money in the rooms he books, he doesn't book those rooms anymore.

Not all goods and services are meant for cheap and/or broke people. 

5 minutes ago, Studio Custom said:

spacer.png

Actually, that's not true. People can rack up a ton of credit card debt, declare bankruptcy and make everyone else pay for it, and do it all over again in 7 years or so.

#America #FuckYeah

So $145 is a reasonable price for a cheap seat for somebody basically only known to guitar nerds? I don't see it. And it has nothing to do with entitlement. It's just flat absurd.

IMHO, of course.

3 minutes ago, hamerhead said:

So $145 is a reasonable price for a cheap seat for somebody basically only known to guitar nerds? I don't see it. And it has nothing to do with entitlement. It's just flat absurd.

IMHO, of course.

The tickets are either selling or they aren't. That's all that matters.

Businessmen who don't seek to command the highest price possible for their goods and services are in the vast minority. 

He’s allegedly sold out the last two times he’s played around here.

It's a high price.  I'm not willing to pay it; others are.  Good for JB.

Then again, I had the opportunity to see Lady Gaga this summer at a business conference for the price of a 45 minute shuttle ride to the event center.  That was too high a price for me. Instead I paid $45 for a quick round of golf at the hotel I was staying.  I chose what I valued more.  Played fairly well, too!

24 minutes ago, hamerhead said:

I hope he sells it out. He's an amazing musician and deserves it. But that $300+ is better used elsewhere, in my world.

For groceries, perhaps?

21 hours ago, hamerhead said:

Insanity.

Are you sure you didn't accidentally go to a ticket reselling site? They usually are the first few hits above the actual venue of a Google search. I looked at the Orpheum website and front row while imo is outrageous at $400something isn't $681.

Ticketbastard now has "platinum"tickets that are dynamically priced.  Usually after tickets go on sale the price doubles. 

Last year there was a Poison / Cheap Trick show in Alpharetta (Atlanta) with ticket prices making no sense.  Row S cost more than Row H, and other inconsistencies.  We started noticing the problems with dynamic ticket pricing. 

This past Sunday I saw ZZ Top / Cheap Trick.  A tenth row ticket was going to be $119.  The next row forward was $139.  By Friday the prices dropped to $115 and $119.  On Saturday that tenth row seat was $79.50, and I grabbed it. 

So, it is possible that the Bonamassa tickets prices have gone up and down with Ticketbastard's new price system. 

5 hours ago, MCChris said:

For groceries, perhaps?

4 hours ago, hamerhead said:

Beer. This is Wisconsin, ferchrissakes.

Umm, beer IS groceries! 🤣

17 minutes ago, bruce919 said:

I went to his shows for many year until the ticket prices went crazy. It hard to justify most big names shows at all due to the $$. 

Agreed.  There's enough no-name and small-name shows around here that if I want live entertainment it can be had on the cheap.  I'm over the big name shows.  It's either paying way too much for shit seats, or $30-$50 per freaking song for two good seats.

Of course I make the rare exception.  I was recently in Memphis on a solo trip and found a front row seat for Gladys Knight and Jeffrey Osbourne for $130.  Hardly big names anymore, but it was a preferred venue, it was walking distance from my hotel, Bill Sharpe was playing bass for Osbourne, and I'm a nerd for 70s funk so the L.T.D. connection was a draw.  Jeffrey Osbourne was high energy and just a funky good time.  Sharpe can play to the crowd and they had everyone up.  Hell, it got so wild the guitarist (Kevin Chokan) had a defibrillator issue and had to take a couple songs off.  Then Gladys came on and I quickly realized it was well past my bedtime.

Archived