Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Bonamassa Tickets......

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep - my apologies - Ticketmaster has them at $103 to $405.

When looking for tickets - which I don't do very often - I landed on Event Tickets Center (twice!) which currently lists them from $144 to $752! That's very different.

Tell Joe I'm very sorry for the confusion. My FU completely. I hope it sells out and he wins another Grammy.

PH.gif

Here are some simple numbers and facts for you to think about....

We have 28 people on the road, three trucks, four buses.

Fuel and permits for said vehicles. 

Hotels for each person on many days, ( on back to back shows I sleep on the bus and shower backstage), flights to and from various states and countries. Work permits for international dates.

Shipping gear all over the world with cargo companies so fans can see and hear the same show at the same level of quality.

Full sound system and lighting rental.

We rent all the venues ourselves, do all the advertising ourselves, and pay all the venue people ourselves. There is no advance money from a promotor or agents. There is also insurance so if we or a fan get injured things can be taken care of.

There is no record company advance money. Everything is all in house, generated by 28 people working 200 plus days a year on the road.

I haven’t even mentioned the office staff. That is another whole operation and expense.

If you want to pay $10 then go down to the Dew Drop Inn and see the Johnny Fingers Blues Band dressed like they just got out of work playing their Squier Strat through a   Peavey Classic amp.

This is just to give you all some perspective on what goes on out here. I personally understand that some pricing may be out of reach for some people. This isn’t directed at anyone in particular, including the OP.

This isn’t some magic rock star fantasy land you read about. 

it is so easy to sit behind a computer and rule the world with conjecture and vitriol. 

And if I ever sell my Hamers they will not be $350...

1 hour ago, hamerhead said:

Sorry. The ticket prices I saw were a bit of a shock and I posted about it. My mistake.

Fuck apologizing.  Face value is one thing but when the "partner" (ticketmaster) is setting aside (platinum) tickets to scalp at higher than face value prices, all parties involved are complicit.  

11 hours ago, 4digitfreak said:

I work with Joe, we do not charge $681 for a ticket. That is absurd.

If $681 is absurd, what's $831??

image.png

Platinum tickets are Ticketbastard's new way of legal scalping.  They are "dynamically priced" which means an algorithm is running up prices on speculation that someone will feel like they have no choice but to pay the price.  Those platinum tickets can come down within a day of the show.   Quite often platinum tickets show up as double the original price within a couple days of the public on sale date. 

I am impressed that Joe Bonamassa is his own promoter and show investor.  He deserves all of his success. 

8 minutes ago, 4digitfreak said:

To play devil’s advocate I wonder what say an Eric Clapton ticket costs or other such artists in a similar or same venue. 

Also too much, I'm sure.  I'm not trying to bash Joe specifically, but the industry he's a part of.  In addition to the $831, there was also $123 in "fees" (x2) so the out the door (in the door?) price for a pair was over $1900.  

2 minutes ago, kizanski said:

How is any ticket reseller's sales not legal scalping?

States have had laws to address the issue of scalping, but some lawyers must have gotten involved. 

Let's bring in the whole "buyer's premium" concept from auction houses to ticket sales.  The fees are way out of line.  Auction houses have been taking bigger cuts from the seller, so Ticketbastard likely has hit promoters or venues with some kind of big hit that takes a chunk of the ticket price without the customer ever seeing that. 

I go to a LOT of shows every year, and I keep up with ticket prices broken down to the individual fees.  I know what I pay.  I do not know what the band actually got. 

Just now, Steve Haynie said:

States have had laws to address the issue of scalping, but some lawyers must have gotten involved. 

Let's bring in the whole "buyer's premium" concept from auction houses to ticket sales.  The fees are way out of line.  Auction houses have been taking bigger cuts from the seller, so Ticketbastard likely has hit promoters or venues with some kind of big hit that takes a chunk of the ticket price without the customer ever seeing that. 

I go to a LOT of shows every year, and I keep up with ticket prices broken down to the individual fees.  I know what I pay.  I do not know what the band actually got. 

That doesn't differentiate "legalized scalping" vs. "ticket re-seller."
Regardless of the state and if it is legal or not, it's all criminal.

2 hours ago, 4digitfreak said:

This isn’t directed at anyone in particular, including the OP.

We're all good. I was messin' with you a little. B)

Joe busts his ass and deserves his success. And I hear he's a genuinely nice guy, part of the reason I'm a big fan. Was I a little disappointed that I won't be going? Yeah, but that's life.

2 hours ago, 4digitfreak said:

Here are some simple numbers and facts for you to think about....

We have 28 people on the road, three trucks, four buses.

Fuel and permits for said vehicles. 

Hotels for each person on many days, ( on back to back shows I sleep on the bus and shower backstage), flights to and from various states and countries. Work permits for international dates.

Shipping gear all over the world with cargo companies so fans can see and hear the same show at the same level of quality.

Full sound system and lighting rental.

We rent all the venues ourselves, do all the advertising ourselves, and pay all the venue people ourselves. There is no advance money from a promotor or agents. There is also insurance so if we or a fan get injured things can be taken care of.

There is no record company advance money. Everything is all in house, generated by 28 people working 200 plus days a year on the road.

I haven’t even mentioned the office staff. That is another whole operation and expense.

If you want to pay $10 then go down to the Dew Drop Inn and see the Johnny Fingers Blues Band dressed like they just got out of work playing their Squier Strat through a   Peavey Classic amp.

This is just to give you all some perspective on what goes on out here. I personally understand that some pricing may be out of reach for some people. This isn’t directed at anyone in particular, including the OP.

This isn’t some magic rock star fantasy land you read about. 

it is so easy to sit behind a computer and rule the world with conjecture and vitriol. 

And if I ever sell my Hamers they will not be $350...

Do you post on TGP? If not, you should. Bravo sir!

1 hour ago, Steve Haynie said:

Paul McCartney tickets started at $275 for a stadium show around here.  When they went platinum they went up from there.  The special package seats (a limited edition print/poster and a bag) were around $1500. 

Given the demographic of Sir Paul's audience, that bag was undoubtedly of the colostomy variety.

I paid $3 to see Alice Cooper back in 1970.. $2 to see Kiss in 1974.. $4.50 to see Queen in 1975.. $9 to see Paul McCartney back in the 1970's.. And many, many, many other bands very cheap compared to today.. Bonamassa has never been low priced..   

Kiss at the Agora 1974.jpg

Queen 1975.jpg

37 minutes ago, custom53 said:

I paid $3 to see Alice Cooper back in 1970.. $2 to see Kiss in 1974.. $4.50 to see Queen in 1975.. $9 to see Paul McCartney back in the 1970's.. And many, many, many other bands very cheap compared to today.

And how much did you pay for a carton of milk and a gallon of gas back then?

3 minutes ago, MCChris said:

And how much did you pay for a carton of milk and a gallon of gas back then?

Inflation aside back then there was no Ticketmaster and Live Nation. I've heard it's almost impossible to tour without having to deal with (pay) them. I'm sure touring now also has more overhead than it did 45-50 years ago.

54 minutes ago, Stike said:

Inflation aside back then there was no Ticketmaster and Live Nation. I've heard it's almost impossible to tour without having to deal with (pay) them. I'm sure touring now also has more overhead than it did 45-50 years ago.

Yes, exactly. The concept of things being different nowadays than they were in the '70s seems to be a difficult one for some to grasp.

8 hours ago, hamerhead said:

Sorry. The ticket prices I saw were a bit of a shock and I posted about it. My mistake.

You brought up a good point.  If you use Google to find tix, the first couple hits are usually resellers.  It's not hard to miss the little sponsored notification.

Archived