Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hamer Newport Pro

1. Hamer Newport Pro.  Nice shape, had it set up, needed a new Tone pot when I got it. Nothing needed now.  $1350 net to me.  

All sales PayPal, net to me as above.  Cash works, too, if you are in the area.  CONUS, only.

DSC_0654.jpg

DSC_0655.jpg

DSC_0656.jpg

DSC_0657.jpg

DSC_0658.jpg

DSC_0659.jpg

DSC_0660.jpg

oh, and let me add these - they came from the prior owner.  I have not taken it apart, again.  

So, as you see Schecter VN parts, built at another shop.  That is how most of these were done.  Only the few built at Schecter as complete guitars are the "dream machines."  They carry an S serial number (beware of fakes) and maybe a few early A serials, though most of the A are Dallas Schecters (using VN parts early on, then later Canadian or other bits).

Schecter neck and body.png

Schecter neck sn.png

Schecter neck pocket.png

Nice Schecter!

I've been looking for a Dream Machine with the blade switch as opposed to the 3 minis, which I never seem to get the hang of when playing live.  Best of luck!

a little history of the one on the right:

sorry for the delay in getting back to you with a little more info on the Schecter.  I think I may have told you already, but in case I didn't, I believe it was made in 1980 or possibly 1979. The guitar was purchased in May of 1981, but as I recall, the owner of the store had told me it had been in the store for about a year. This is why he sold it to me at a reduced price. I think the original price had been $1,399.
As I mentioned when we met, there have been quite a few guitarists that have played this guitar at some point. This typically occurred in my shop or home during the course of building or modifying other instruments for these players. Anyway, here is the list of those I can recall.

Chris Cornell - Soundgarden
Mike McCready - Pearl Jam
Mike Lull - Maker of fabulous bass guitars
Jerry Cantrell - Alice In Chains
Neal Schon - Journey
Ross Valory - Journey
Ronnie Wood - Rolling Stones
Robin Trower
Chris DeGarmo - Queensryche
Nancy Wilson - Heart
John Waite - Babys, Bad English
Roger Fisher - Heart
Stedge - big fan of The Who

I would have to say my fondest memory of this guitar was in the early 90's while my brother and I were helping build Roger Fisher's MARS recording studio. We were discussing the merits of mass in getting longer sustain so I brought the guitar to the studio the next day. I got to listen to Roger play the guitar for over an hour. He went through several Heart songs (most notably, Barracuda) as well as playing some Led Zeppelin and Kinks. When he finished, he told me how much he liked the guitar and asked me what her name was. I told him she didn't have a name. He then informed me that every great guitar needs a name. As he put her back in the case, he told me her name would be "Guenevere". 

I hope this info will be of interest/amusement to you and that you enjoy "Guenevere"  for many years. 
Feel free to contact me with any questions that may come up in the future. I'll do my best to answer.

So, her name is Guenevere.  

I think these old Schecters are cool and given the ties to modern boutiques, kind of the beginning of it all.  The wood is lovely.

Thanks, Eli.  Yes she is a beauty, and not heavy, easy to play.  Again, I overpaid for that one, but I wanted it, dang it.  And that one is staying.  As is Guinevere (who, BTW, is wayyyy overweight).  The one I am selling is a wonderful guitar, but is redundant given a fender American Strat that is a POS and fun beater, and another, so just trying to move something I  dont use.  Certainly wont be heartbroken if it does not sell, but it is a very good price given the work I had done and the awesome wood, sound, rarity, etc, etc.  

Love your Schecters!

21 hours ago, it's me HHB said:

what do you know about the A series w blk hardware and the weird locking trem?

Sounds a bit like a PT that I have, A*** s/n with their old TremLok setup. I know most folks don't care for that unit, but to me it works fine (I favor traditional fulcrum trems and top mount Floyds). Weakest part is the archaic lock nut, but that's pretty much a set-and-forget kinda thing - at least until you break a string :)

vAlJ8p2.jpg

What little i know about the A series is more general but:

early A could have been made in van nuys, and a number not made there but after move to Dallas still used the same van nuys parts. 21 fret necks, rounded skink stripe and butt end of neck, stamps and serial nmbrs/wood codes etc

later A (Typical Dallas guitars) were made from offshore parts or canadian parts and pit together in Dallas. Some had 21 fret necks but a 22 fret neck is never VN Schecter. 

At least that is my rough understanding thus far. 

If you really want to know what you have you take it apart and look. 

• 2 weeks later...

Schecter is off the market, I am keeping it for now.  Sounds too good - a flexible strat with real b@#$$

Newport Pro still available.  Drop to $1300 net to me, low as I will go.

See pot trade interests in my graphic special thread.

Seems like a good idea to withdraw & keeping it!

Over on TPG there are some threads about early Schecters and a couple of knowledgeful members foxyguitars and superrock.

See this one for example:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/early-schecter-van-nuys-history-pt-3.1729247/

I used to have a very old Schecter Telecaster.........................wish I had kept it but,you can't keep them all. Jim Brown who has been on this forum and many others knows about Schecter guitars and is very knowledgeable. I'd keep  that guitar if you can ,the early guitars ones really nice. BTW VERY cool story.

Thanks. Yes i am aware of all those threads and have had many great discussions in other places. That said my experience suggests that the true van nuys built, S serial guitars are the collectible ones. Everything else is a lovely parts guitar. And once the company moved to dallas and they ran out of van nuys parts then entirely different and less desirable beasts. 

So in terms of value:

s serial/van nuys-built custom schecters >> van nuys parts schecters >> dallas and lter schecters built w canadian or offshore parts  

so though i woulda sold the parts guitar as noted, Genevere and the other “dream machines” i have are wayyyy more valuable.  To me, anyway  

Thanks,

GA-5 is a champ-ish amp.  Less scooped, more forward, I guess is a way to describe it.  Good shape.  Toles on inside of back panel tens to curl a little, but easily enough could glue that.  Works perfectly.  Sounds pretty good cranked up and surprisingly loud, but it is tiny like a tweed champ size. Again note this is a reissue, not a vintage one.  Given the lack of movement of the guitars I am thinking about giving it to my daughter who started teaching herself to play, along with the Newport or Graphic Special, when she heads off to law school somewhere (apps are in and fingers crossed).  I have a 72 Champ that covers the same kind of space, and don't need both.    

9 hours ago, FGJ said:

I thought all Newport Pros came with SD humbuckers?

I have a similar guitar  or possibly the same model.

Mine has an ebony board, trans red top and was a special run for a certain Hamer dealer; I have the certificate but can’t recall the store off the top of my head.

I bought mine from a member here.

What I can say for certain is the phat cats are factory originals in my Newport and they sound great.

Also the price on the OP’s guitar seems like a great price point for the buyer, as well as being a fantastic looking guitar and a great opportunity if you are interested in a Newport with phat cats but no bigsby.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived