Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Dion

mudshark

Years ago Dion DiMucci was on a TV show singing Turn Me Loose with a much different voice than the original recording.  He would have been in his 40s at the time, and to me his singing was not that great.  Ever since then I have written him off.  Looking up recent live videos shows Dion letting the audience carry the hard parts to some songs. 

As I complain it must be noted that I go see some of those 1960s bands with a forgiving attitude to enjoy the show.  Gary Puckett can still sing.  He is as close to that original Gary Puckett as anyone will get, but the singing is not quite the same.  Seeing Ron Dante was a lot of fun, and he can still sing Sugar Sugar.  The guys in Jay and The Americans still hit their harmonies dead on in addition to taking turns on lead vocals, and the new guy, Jay III, nails it.  Mark Lindsay's singing voice has changed a bit, too.  Micky Dolenz still sounds like Micky Dolenz.  In a month I will find out how Tommy James and the Shondells are holding up.  Find recent video of Frankie Valli singing in his 80's and you will be amazed.

Dion is still out there entertaining.  Good for him.  It is time for me to give him some slack. 

Some singers adapt their style well to aging vocals, some not so much. Last time I saw Steve Miller, he sounded great but took breaks by sharing singing duties with a buddy. David Lee Roth, not so great....but I'd still go see VH if they toured near me :)

Archived