Hamer Fan Club Message Center

I'm ready for the arrows...

The Shark

I've owned about five of these in my life.  Four were maple and one was koa.  They were the top of the line model starting in 1979.  The early tailpiece models are a little harder to find.  They made them until 1983.  I hate all maple guitars with ebony boards.  But I wanted one of these for the collection.  And I rarely see them.  Pics are grainy.  But it's in great shape.

U5gT0wU.jpg

kktCwNG.jpg

I know these are universally hated here, but I'm willing to withstand the onslaught!!!

Always wondered about those weird pickups. I remember from those early GP adds that they even sold them as spares...

21 minutes ago, The Shark said:

If it plays and sounds as good as the Baker, I'll sell the Baker...

That would mean you've gone completely deaf.
It would be great for me, though.

I played with a guy that put a set of those pickups in a superstrat (V22s?) and they sounded fine. But no better that other buckers. I get the idea that more pole pieces mean less signal cancellation when bending and that is needed on some single coils pickups, but I have never heard a bucker with the problem.

Seems to me that a blade-type HB would work just as well design-wise, as far as dealing with signal cancellation goes.  Maybe the advantage of the Carvin 22-pole pickup is for those tone-chasers that like to constantly tinker and adjust stuff and can't leave things alone.

5 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

Bill Lawrence was around back then, and he head the "blade" thing going on already, didn't he?  Carvin had the same idea, and the 22 pole pieces look unique. 

Gibson was using 'blade' single coil PUs back in the 1930s, such as the 'Charlie Christian' type:

http://www.gibson-prewar.com/history-of-the-electric-pickup/

I have never had a chance to try a Carvin. Lefty's do pop up but most seem to have been configured by people whose idea of a dream guitar is a lot different than mine. At the same time  they think their dream guitar (that they want to sell!) is somehow worth more than they paid for it.

Having said that I would probably own a bolt by now if I hadn't fixed everything I didn't like about my Mexican Strat. Now that it's got EMG's in it, a Fishman Trem , Sperzal tuners and a Graffiti Yellow paint job it's pretty close to a bolt anyway. :-) 

These models are inherently bright sounding, but I'm a digital guy now (Headrush Pedalboard) and a little tweaking of the global eq and everything will be fine.  The Headrush allows for preset "global eq" setting, so I can recall them for specific guitars.  Works just great for my Yairi acoustic.

The blades def fix that issue,  but blades have a different tonality compared to rods...AC at Rumpel explained it to me once....but I have forgotten the details why...

Look nice. Congrats. 

Most Carvins always seem like they are well built. Can only say i have played 3-4 of them over the years. Had a all mahogany neck thru tele style for a short time in the 90's , it was an OK guitar, but there are many many OK guitar brands out there. To each there own. I am sure some would say the same about our sacred Hamers.  

5 hours ago, crunchee said:

Seems to me that a blade-type HB would work just as well design-wise, as far as dealing with signal cancellation goes.  Maybe the advantage of the Carvin 22-pole pickup is for those tone-chasers that like to constantly tinker and adjust stuff and can't leave things alone.

This is their raison d'etre, from my extensive study of each Carvin catalog upon arrival back in 8th grade - high school, when I had just started playing. The infinitely adjustable signal for each string with just an allen key. At a time when Gibsons shipped with imported switches and shitty pots, and your humbuckers could be either the 498T-490R pair or the 498T-490R, that sounded like a pretty cool idea and good USA-made value... on paper...

Archived