Hamer Fan Club Message Center

A few observations on strolling past 240 bands

polara

The annual Oakhurst Porchfest was big, as always. Apparently it was up to 240 bands/acts, plus loads of vendors who latched onto the event. A few observations to share, which you may find do or do not apply in your local scene.

• People love to make music and hear music. Seems obvious, but in one neighborhood to have this many performers? It's good to see that we haven't lost that aspect of our humanity.
  • Uncle Tupelo, Wilco, and Son Volt had a huge impact on middle-aged, middle-class white people. A big share of bands were doing vaguely "Americana" stuff. It's melodic and not that hard to play competently (though not expertly).
  • Kids like what they like and don't care if it's hip-hop, oldies, indie, grime, bluegrass, or cabaret. It's absolutely wonderful to see kids' honest musical appreciation.
  • I think by the time they hit 30, most people have decided what they like musically, and are not likely to change. The 90s cover bands were the best-attended, because it's an in-town suburb full of 40-somethings who grew up on that music. It triggers the happiness inside to hear it.
  • The original bands had smaller audiences, mostly under 30s or older people who had a very outsider-artist vibe. As mentioned above, kids didn't care if you were playing your own stuff or Van Halen covers. They liked what they liked.
  • My nephew's band of 12-year-olds drew a huge crowd, I think because the 40- and 50-somethings loved to see another generation playing AC/DC, Tom Petty, etc. When I was 12, if I'd tried playing the music of 45 years ago I'd have been laughed at. 30s jump jazz? Times have changed.
  • While when I go to a festival of pro touring bands it's about 90% Fender guitars and amps, it was everything under the sun at this. Hurdy-gurdys, even. If you're not tossing your guitar in the back of a van every night and trying to say in tune in varying weather, you don't need Telecaster durability and simplicity, and you can can play you old Harmony Rocket.
  • The Guitar Center "Excellent" Monaco sounded great and didn't;t go out of tune. I'm also still all-in on the Fractal stuff. 

Kids do still play. Here is from last night. A guy I know arranged a rock/pop night for young kids. This young dude showed up:

On 10/15/2019 at 7:44 AM, polara said:

A few observations to share, which you may find do or do not apply in your local scene.

I expected some downhearted observations about how rock is dead and music is forgotten* and got exactly the opposite.  How upbeat and encouraging!  Thanks for sharing!

*Me projecting my own cynicism?

I'd have just loved to have seen an event like that, I wish my area was as active.  There's a little bit of folk music going on in some of the pubs but nothing on this scale, very nice.

Archived