Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Stratocaster magic ...

Well, this project turned out well   :)   I always loved this movie and it was a big part of my impressionable youth. I had a bunch of strat parts left over from various experiments, all I needed was a body and neck, so I thought I would try and duplicate this Strat from the movie. I could have just bought one off the shelf as this is a pretty common color scheme, but then I would still have those parts left over. I figure around a grand total cost. THIS THING SOUNDS EPIC!  Parts list is as follows. A. New fender MIM body (really nice, I was surprised) $250 B. New Fender 70's style headstock neck with satin finish. $350 C. Callaham Trem and othe nickel parts I already had. D. Fralin vintage hot loaded pickguard with blender pot that I had in my box of stuff.   I'm probably biased because I built this myself( not hard at all, anyone could do it) but this sounds and plays better than any Strat I've ever had.   Everyone should give this a go before buying a new one off the shelf. 

DSC02236.jpg

DSC02237.jpg

DSC02239.jpg

Nice build, Punky. It's a stoked feeling when all the disparate components come together without any extra drilling/sanding/shimming, etc.

I agree; more guitarists should take on an intermediate build like yours. One learns more about setups, maintenance, and the mechanics of Leo's simple industrial genius from a build like yours. Additionally, it takes away the, "mystery" of setups, and can save ya a lot of bread in the long run, too.

I'm about to embark on a black pickguard rig for my Blackmore Strat, with a coupla of HS-3s and a beefy-assed Virtual Solo in the bridge. Now, to only find the time to start wrenching...

34 minutes ago, RobB said:

Nice build, Punky. It's a stoked feeling when all the disparate components come together without any extra drilling/sanding/shimming, etc.

I agree; more guitarists should take on an intermediate build like yours. One learns more about setups, maintenance, and the mechanics of Leo's simple industrial genius from a build like yours. Additionally, it takes away the, "mystery" of setups, and can save ya a lot of bread in the long run, too.

I'm about to embark on a black pickguard rig for my Blackmore Strat, with a coupla of HS-3s and a beefy-assed Virtual Solo in the bridge. Now, to only find the time to start wrenching...

The thing about this build that really amazed me is how good it sounds. That same pickguard w/fralins sounded just meh in my Strat deluxe. The EMGs sound great in that one. Go figure. 

Holy Crap! How did I miss Reg shredding those octaves when I saw this years and years ago?

Reg is a beast and so is that damn guitar of yours!

I'm very pleased that you are happy with the guitar and how it turned out.  I'm a little younger so Phantasm II was my jam... I sooooo need to revisit the HD version of this movie.

Congratulations!!

Archived