Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Anyone try a Babicz Tune-o-matic bridge

Dutchman

This crossed the bench earlier this year for me to convert it to Duncan Phat Cats. The Babicz stuff is really cool, bulletproof stuff, and I'd welcome it if it was already on a guitar I was getting.

But actually spec'ing it, and paying some 3-4x what I'd pay for a good TOM and stop tail from another reputable manufacturer? Not for me. Especially if it was going on a Gibson, or a Hamer, or something else where a traditional look is kinda important. That Babicz is BIG and borderline gaudy.

Image may contain: one or more people and guitar

Image may contain: guitar

I've used the Babicz Strat saddles on two Warmoth Mustang projects. Including the one in my avatar photo. Very high quality, impressive engineering and rock solid. I'm a fan.

7N5DzALpTnaVRCweulUdnw.jpg

cqdNHudaQ2aDfOkKDPiB7w.jpg

That's an interesting design. Does the extra mass provide better intonation, sustain, and overtones? Is it like the Fat Finger that attaches to the headstock of any electric guitar or bass? It reminds me of the late '70s with guitars being made with brass hardware on the headstock/tunomatic bridge/tailpiece like the early Ibanez or Yamaha guitars or Alembic guitars & basses. 

Guitar George

8 hours ago, Hamer95USA said:

That's an interesting design. Does the extra mass provide better intonation, sustain, and overtones? Is it like the Fat Finger that attaches to the headstock of any electric guitar or bass? It reminds me of the late '70s with guitars being made with brass hardware on the headstock/tunomatic bridge/tailpiece like the early Ibanez or Yamaha guitars or Alembic guitars & basses. 

Guitar George

This is pure gold... or maybe solid brass... 🤣

On 10/16/2019 at 12:59 AM, Disturber said:

I have never had a problem with an ordinary tuno-o-matic so I would not see the point. 

How about setting spot-on intonation and ideal action in a few seconds?

The Babicz bridges make Tun-a-matics look like they were designed by amateurs. You pay more money for the Babicz, but you'll more than make it up in the time you save on setup and the improvement you get on response and tone quality.

The tone transfer you get from a Babicz is awsome. I bought a drop-in replacement for a Squier fretless Jazz bass and the resulting clarity and massive tone that came from that $199 used bass more than justified the purchase price. What's your time worth calculated over the time you own the guitar or bass?

2 hours ago, RobB said:

Not worth enough to install such ugly, overwrought hardware. 

Players spend a lot more money seeking better tone, intonation, clarity, musicality, and responsiveness.

My perceptions may be based on my purchase in  2011,  at which time it was easy to comparison shop for Babicz products and land a sweet deal. That's what I managed to do eight years ago for about 40% less than the going rate.

12 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Players spend a lot more money seeking better tone, intonation, clarity, musicality, and responsiveness.

They’d be better served saving their bread and practicing more. 

“Musicality?” From hardware? Fukking please. 

29 minutes ago, RobB said:

They’d be better served saving their bread and practicing more. 

“Musicality?” From hardware? Fukking please. 

If you haven't heard one, you have no opinion.

Granted they look like a pimps grill... but it sounds like they do what their designed to do. I’m not offended by gawdy in the pursuit of tone!! I’m sure the first Humbuckers where considered gawdy but they worked!! Thank you all for your comments!!

I know it's not a Babzic bridge but I'd been considering this alternative Schaller 'STM' bridge for my archtop.  It should fit straight onto a Les Paul or an Archtop without need for removing & replacing the body inserts.  I was thinking maybe in addition to locking tuners this bridge which uses roller-type brass saddles might improve the tuning stability a bit. They're available with the intonation screws facing either way.

https://schaller.info/en/bridges/328/stm?c=52

Archived