Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Your less-known personal musical inspirations

polara

No Pages, Claptons, Becks, Hendrixes. Who are then guys and gals that make you sit up and take notice, make you play better or write better or aspire to be better? One who, if you mention them to another player, elicit a "Who? Never heard of her" or a "That's unexpected. Really?"

Examples appreciated. I wanna hear some new inspiration! Here's one of mine. Not UNKNOWN but not a household name. What a player.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sometimes those guys who do product demos blow me away by playing something that sticks out.  There have been bass players who have played things that made me say, "whoa" as they showed how a pedal sounded or just a bass in general.  Trying to figure out what they did had just as much of an effect on me as trying to learn something by the big name players. 

1 hour ago, polara said:

No Pages, Claptons, Becks, Hendrixes. Who are then guys and gals that make you sit up and take notice, make you play better or write better or aspire to be better? One who, if you mention them to another player, elicit a "Who? Never heard of her" or a "That's unexpected. Really?"

Examples appreciated. I wanna hear some new inspiration! Here's one of mine. Not UNKNOWN but not a household name. What a player.

Nice thread topic! I love finding new folks to listen to, especially if they already have a sizeable library to enjoy. Usually if I drop the name Johnny A folks don't know who I'm talking about but here on the message boards that's probably not true,,, so instead I'll drop the name Duke Levine. His style is a nice mix of the genres I like,,, at about 2:35 the lead guitar kicks in:

This next guy was a household name but never got much play time on the radio when I was growing up and is pretty much forgotten today. I'm listening to him for the first time now, believe it or not, and it's awesome. Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush:

Buck Dharma.  Unique approach without one hint of the Blues.  Also played in the best band

ever--at least the first 5 or 6 albums.  He certainly influenced my playing more than anyone.

Too bad BÖC are now a tribute band of themselves, but hardly alone in that regard...

I don't play well enough to have any influences that anybody can probably hear but my favorite "unknown" to listen to is  Richard Thompson. I put it in quotes because he is far from unknown but I am constantly amazed at how many people (guitarist's especially) have never heard of him. The man has a serious catalog of great albums and in my mind deserved to be as well known as Clapton.

25 minutes ago, HAMERMAN said:

I don't play well enough to have any influences that anybody can probably hear but my favorite "unknown" to listen to is  Richard Thompson. I put it in quotes because he is far from unknown but I am constantly amazed at how many people (guitarist's especially) have never heard of him. The man has a serious catalog of great albums and in my mind deserved to be as well known as Clapton.

Thompson is a fine player, but his true genius is in his lyrics and overall songwriting.

Had the good fortune to see him live once.  Just as great in person...

47 minutes ago, HAMERMAN said:

His playing can be so surprising, in the best way. These unexpected melodic twits in a solo, and flurries of notes in the just right place. A real master.

Ronnie Earl is one of my primary sources of inspiration. Nobody plays Blues with more emotion than him.

Eddie Roberts from The New Mastersounds is another major source of inspiration for me. His playing got me to digging deeper into The Meters, Grant Green and Boogaloo Joe Jones. 

I heard a lot of so-called contemporary christian music in the 70's and 80's. There were quite a few string slingers that inspired me:

Phil Keaggy - of course, though he's kinda semi-famous by now, and there was this sideman of Larry Norman, a guy called Jon Linn (he passed away many years ago in a car crash) who did some incredible stuff.

Being a big Stones fan in the late 60's and 70's as well, Mick Taylor would make it to the list - yeah, I know, too well known...

Bill Washer.....................guitarist with Barry Miles and Silverlight which I'm sure many of you have no idea who that is. Al DiMeola came from Barry Miles's band then joined Return to Forever. Al Dimeola was a big influence along with Bill Connors........................Al was  more of a speed demon than Bill but..............Bill was no slouch on guitar,love his phrasing. I also really liked Vic Juris although he had a completely different style. Here is Barry Miles with Washer on  the second track "The Battle"

Certainly Ray Gomez an incredible guitarist.......................long lost in the mists of time along with so many others. Here "WEST SIDE BOOGIE"

I have followed and liked this guitarist for a long time......................really out there with some things but what a creative guitarist.

38 minutes ago, ARM OF HAMER said:

I have followed and liked this guitarist for a long time......................really out there with some things but what a creative guitarist.

Tasty riffs, really like his style.

Definitely Tim Pierce, he’s on so many records it’s crazy!! He has been a LA session guy for the last 30 years... and he rip’s up a guitar with the tastiest stuff. Smooth stuff!! 

Live at PRS jam...

Glenn Kaiser...a tremendous blues-rock player who falls under the mainstream RNR radar because he records solely in the CHristian music arena. Lots of great electric and acoustic blues albums. Very much Rory influenced in his playing. Tasteful and rockin’!

1 hour ago, Dutchman said:

Definitely Tim Pierce, he’s on so many records it’s crazy!! He has been a LA session guy for the last 30 years... and he rip’s up a guitar with the tastiest stuff. Smooth stuff!! 

Live at PRS jam...                           I love Tim's playing and yes he has played on just about everyone that is anyone recordings..........................Rick Springfield's guitarist back in the day....................I was listening to "Guitarland" here just this morning.

Archived