Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Place your bets on the Black Crowes "reunion"

polara

27 minutes ago, Jakeboy said:

They should just call it the Robinson Brothers.

I don't understand this sentiment.  Gorman is really the only long-standing member that isn't a part of this, but I don't think he was ever credited with writing a note of music or a single lyric.  The rest of the band has been a revolving door feel for years.  In my mind the Crowes have always been a Chris/Rich collaboration.  

image.png

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/12/2019 at 8:31 AM, cynic said:

I don't understand this sentiment.  Gorman is really the only long-standing member that isn't a part of this, but I don't think he was ever credited with writing a note of music or a single lyric.  The rest of the band has been a revolving door feel for years.  In my mind the Crowes have always been a Chris/Rich collaboration.  

image.png

I get it.  But I am weird about this stuff, admittedly. I won’t go see the Eagles without Glenn Frey, either. Part of me does want to see the Crowes though, but I’ll likely wait for the Live cd/dvd that hopefully will follow.

Fleetwood Mac has always been a revolving door with the exceptions of well, Fleetwood, Mac, and Christine (and even she was not original, but did play on some Greenie era stuff, IIRC). I was more than happy to see them last year. Classic singers, original rhythm section. I get that the Crowes are  the Chris and Rich show with a new lead player rotating in often, but if the new guys are actual BC members, that’s another story....if they are just Tour guns, it bothers me. I feel the same way about The Who. It’s not The Who, it is Pete & Roger with other players who aren’t The Who.  No Moon, no Ox, no Rabbit, no KJ......I know, I can be weird about Rock and roll. But I like it.

8 hours ago, Disturber said:

IEdit: this just came up. They look very happy about it, and to be together again. Jolly, I'd say!

black-crowes-2.jpg?resize=900,600&w=1200

They look like Clapton after someone put an Epiphone in his hands.

They suck for excluding Gorman. You cannot build a band then say they dont count. Rich can barely play. The first exposure to 90% of their fans is a Gorman drum beat. It should be the Brothers 

2 hours ago, it's me HHB said:

They suck for excluding Gorman

Once Ed died, I went ‘F— it, this band is never going to happen again,’ at least the real band,” he said. “Chris and Rich may play — in fact, I’m quite certain they will play sooner than later as the Black Crowes — but it’s not going to be a band or the band. I’m not going to be there. It’s just going to be a f—ing joke. ~ Steve Gorman

2 hours ago, it's me HHB said:

They suck for excluding Gorman. You cannot build a band then say they dont count. Rich can barely play. The first exposure to 90% of their fans is a Gorman drum beat. It should be the Brothers 

Gorman is a must-have member for me too, and I would agree with you that Rich was not that great when they started out but he can play now IMHO.  Even when he wasn't that great a player, he was writing those riffs so I give him some credit for that as well.  Live, he is CRAZY LOUD.

Without Gorman, it can't be The Black Crowes. Without Eddie, Marc, and either Johnny or Sven, it shouldn't be called TBC...

Actually, maybe that's the right name: TBC -

The Bad Conclusion

The Big Cashgrab

The Brothers' Cruelty

Playing across town on the same night are Marc Ford, Johnny Colt and Steve Gorman as The Brothers' Castoffs.

After binge listing to Gorman interviews and podcaster, I say good luck to the brothers. As a fan of the band, and not just as shallow listener who wants to hear the hits "I'm Out". I'm ok with that, and I bet they are too. 

When Steve talks about the "High" the you get when you play with others when its really good, it gives me goosebumps. Its amazing when it happens, and it doesn't happen nearly as often as it should. 

On 11/7/2019 at 6:54 AM, polara said:

I'm not that sure they ever really stood for anything. I don't mean that as a dis exactly, but when they stopped being Mister Crowe's Garden, who were a very good, jangly REM-Let's Active sort of band, to re-emerge a year later with a new name, long hair, bell-bottoms, and name-dropping John Lee Hooker and Robert Johnson, the reaction of the local music community was "What the hell just happened to Chris and Rich? They never gave any indication they were deep into the Faces and Delta blues. Huh?"

Followed by, "Ohhhhh. Well, it works."

I think they genuinely dug the new sound and Chris sure has the pipes for it, but I never got any sense they stood for more than rockin' out. I never KNEW them, but they went to a few of my band's shows. Rich seemed nice, and Steve super-nice. I never figured Chris out, but he was besties with our guitarist, who's a good judge of character. He sang with us at one rehearsal.

I think they're being realistic about what most people want in any band: the big personalities out front are gonna sell seats. Deeper fans may care about the band, but as long as it's Mick+Keef, Steve+Joe, Chris+Rich, Ray+Dave, Anne+Nancy, etc... the rhythm section can be anyone.

On 11/7/2019 at 9:12 AM, bubs_42 said:

@polara I can't argue with a guy that witnessed them from ground zero, I do not have that perspective to work from. It is also possible that they were working toward something that wasn't them and someone steered the ship on the right course. For them, I hope the band gets some fresh air. 

Appears that I may have been on to something. 

Dig The Faces and Stones. Crowes never much resonated with me in their heyday. Maybe it’s an east coast thing, like Springsteen?

The live stuff with Page was epic, really well done. Welp, guess that illustrates how much I know about their music, no?  The unknowing always fall back on the familiar. 

On 11/15/2019 at 6:10 PM, bubs_42 said:

After binge listing to Gorman interviews and podcaster, I say good luck to the brothers. As a fan of the band, and not just as shallow listener who wants to hear the hits "I'm Out". I'm ok with that, and I bet they are too. 

When Steve talks about the "High" the you get when you play with others when its really good, it gives me goosebumps. Its amazing when it happens, and it doesn't happen nearly as often as it should. 

That's Gorman? He looks like the band's accountant!

34 minutes ago, RobB said:

That's Gorman? He looks like the band's accountant!

Precisely the reason he couldn’t be welcomed back into the band. He knows where all the buttons are and each brother having to deal with the other is a big enough job without the guy who has a full accounting of all the bad blood spilled among them. 

3 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

BTW it looks like Marc Ford put his band back together and is opening a few shows for Allman Betts Band. 

I wonder what will happen to The Magpie Salute?

I'm fine with whatever they want to do as long as I don't have to hear it ;) 

To all those attending the shows, enjoy! It'll still be a good, rocking time. 

14 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

They were asked about the "side projects" and Rich answered "We both doing nothing but the Black Crowes". 

That is sad.... 😞

Archived