Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Place your bets on the Black Crowes "reunion"

polara

Steve Gorman (who I recall as being a super nice guy, though it was a long time ago) says it'll be Chris and Rich and hired guns. The Mister Crowe's Pension tour, effectively. Think it'll happen? Last more than a few gigs? Matter at all? And who'll they hire? I'm REALLY hoping Chris will hire a mutual friend of ours who's an utter badass player and could handle the job... fingers crossed.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why not have Gorman back?  Johnny Colt left Lynyrd Skynyrd a couple of years ago, so he might be available.  Putting the band back together with as many past or original members as possible would be better than just the Robinsons in a tribute act to themselves.  One would think a real reunion would make more money. 

Big Black Crowes fan here.

There is no Crowes for me without Gorman. He is one of my favourite drummers. And it should also be Sven Pipien on bass, or Johnny Colt. 

I think The Magpie Salute are a good subsitute for the Crows. I rather go see them than a "Crows" gig without Gorman. It would only be about the money.

Chris Robinson Brotherhood are to weird for me. I hate that bloody organplayer who never shuts up. It's like Lord of the damn Rings every time he plays his jolly licks. Really, really irritating sound on that damn thing he plays. I picture myself that he is wearing a jester hat on stage, and boots that has curls by the toes.

edit, found this. Gorman does not seem up for it. Sad. https://ultimateclassicrock.com/steve-gorman-black-crowes-2019/

Gorman has a book out now titled “Hard to Handle”.  He was on the Adam Carolla podcast a few days ago and said he would not be a part of any Black Crowes reunion.

Without Gorman, without Eddie (RIP), without Marc Ford, without Johnny or Sven... it can't be the Crowes. But especially Gorman. I've seen em without Marc Ford, and they were still great, but without the shuffling beats and intense grooves from the rhythm section, they can't play.

0% chance.  I think it was in one of the Steve Gorman book excerpts that have been popping up lately where it was said that Chris Robinson wanted a 75% share of the band.  Rich and Steve wouldn't go for that, and as Josh just mentioned in the post before mine, I feel like Eddie was THE keys player for the band.  I would take Marc Ford over Jeff Cease on lead guitar, and I also prefer Sven to Johnny though either would be cool.  Still wouldn't be a "reunion" IMHO.

2 hours ago, tommy p said:

0% chance.  I think it was in one of the Steve Gorman book excerpts that have been popping up lately where it was said that Chris Robinson wanted a 75% share of the band.  Rich and Steve wouldn't go for that, and as Josh just mentioned in the post before mine, I feel like Eddie was THE keys player for the band.  I would take Marc Ford over Jeff Cease on lead guitar, and I also prefer Sven to Johnny though either would be cool.  Still wouldn't be a "reunion" IMHO.

I wholeheartedly agree with ALL of this!

On 10/17/2019 at 11:46 AM, tommy p said:

0% chance.  I think it was in one of the Steve Gorman book excerpts that have been popping up lately where it was said that Chris Robinson wanted a 75% share of the band.  

Yeah, Gorman was on Marc Marons podcast and said exactly that, Chris wanted 75% and Rich could have 25%, everyone else is salaried employees not partners.

• 3 weeks later...

Seems like something is going on in the Chris & Rich camp. 

I really love the new Magpie Salute album. It rocks harder than the last BC album. Great sound and vibes on it. I doubt that Chris has that energy anymore, to do music that rocks like that.

https://www.loudersound.com/news/the-black-crowes-tease-reunion-with-poster-campaign

I love the new Magpie Salute, it has enough Black Crowes in the coupe, but doesn't sound like the Black Crowes. Its new, its fresh and they seem happy doing it. If Gorman is not in, then IMHO their isn't a true reunion. You take the backbone out of the music it just isn't going to sound the same. 

Plus at this stage, wouldn't a reunion "Just for the money" be the exact opposite of what the Crowes used to stand for? 

1 hour ago, bubs_42 said:

Plus at this stage, wouldn't a reunion "Just for the money" be the exact opposite of what the Crowes used to stand for? 

I'm not that sure they ever really stood for anything. I don't mean that as a dis exactly, but when they stopped being Mister Crowe's Garden, who were a very good, jangly REM-Let's Active sort of band, to re-emerge a year later with a new name, long hair, bell-bottoms, and name-dropping John Lee Hooker and Robert Johnson, the reaction of the local music community was "What the hell just happened to Chris and Rich? They never gave any indication they were deep into the Faces and Delta blues. Huh?"

Followed by, "Ohhhhh. Well, it works."

I think they genuinely dug the new sound and Chris sure has the pipes for it, but I never got any sense they stood for more than rockin' out. I never KNEW them, but they went to a few of my band's shows. Rich seemed nice, and Steve super-nice. I never figured Chris out, but he was besties with our guitarist, who's a good judge of character. He sang with us at one rehearsal.

I think they're being realistic about what most people want in any band: the big personalities out front are gonna sell seats. Deeper fans may care about the band, but as long as it's Mick+Keef, Steve+Joe, Chris+Rich, Ray+Dave, Anne+Nancy, etc... the rhythm section can be anyone.

@polara I can't argue with a guy that witnessed them from ground zero, I do not have that perspective to work from. It is also possible that they were working toward something that wasn't them and someone steered the ship on the right course. For them, I hope the band gets some fresh air. 

18 hours ago, tommy p said:

This is not a reunion - it's a cash grab.  No thanks.

Not only is it not reunion, it's a tour with a single set list! They're just gonna play "Shake Your Moneymaker" start to finish! Of the albums from the "core" lineup, that's the one I need to hear the least of on any given night, not the one I wanna hear exclusively at every show! I'm definitely sitting this one out.

11 hours ago, cynic said:

Got caught up in the excitement after hearing them on Stern this morning.  If they're still around, I'll be seeing them in June.

I'm sure, if the brothers don't kill each other, that it can be a great show. The ad says they will play Shake your money maker "Plus all the hits". So I guess it will be like a best off the BC evening. But still... If the other cats in the band will be non original members then this, to me, is a Brothers of a Feather thing - not the BC. 

Edit: this just came up. They look very happy about it, and to be together again. Jolly, I'd say!

black-crowes-2.jpg?resize=900,600&w=1200

"The duo enlisted all-new members that include guitarist Isiah Mitchell of psych-rock band Earthless, veteran session bassist Tim LeFebvre who appeared on David Bowie’s Blackstar and keyboardist Joel Robinow and drummer Raj Ojha of prog/psych-pop group Once and Future Band."
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/black-crowes-2020-reunion-tour-dates-910124/?fbclid=IwAR02vEnram0R3lNCmhVuC5DEyGg_lFR_ANTbE3evkI6EIhTDTSOr6OoVu2U

Could we do a GoFundMe for them just to stay home?

I loved the Black Crowes, especially from the second album through By Your Side.  The debut was OK, but not on the same level IMHO.  I saw them many times through the years because they seemed to play in my area a lot either for free or cheap.  One of those times, they had lost Marc Ford (I think it was him) the previous show and had a new guitarist with them (Luther Dickinson maybe?).  Rich was standing over with Luther half the show shouting out chords to him, but Luther did play some good solos.  The last time I saw them they were so deep in trying to be a Grateful Dead jam band they were lost.  It was literally the only concert I've ever walked out on in my life.

Judging from internet buzz and the postings of my friends who don't know any better/don't care, they will do killer business on this tour and make a shload of cash and I think that's what it's all about for them this time around anyway.

I love the Stones/Faces groove of SYMM and I love TSHAMC and even the Frisco live album. I really dig the Greek collaboration with Page, too. I seriously debated buying tix cause they are playing some nice venues and the tix are not exorbitant...at least not at the venue near me. But then I saw it is just the brothers with hired guns. I am certain it will jam and sound great....but it bothers me. They should just call it the Robinson Brothers. It is a huge tour by today’s classic rocker standards....I wonder if it will last? 

Archived