Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA: Hamer Standard

Ugh, what a hot fucking Sharpie mess.

A higher end or one off high end guitar signed by a famous guitar player - perhaps.  If its the right person that "makes sense" for that guitar AND signed in an inconspicuous place on that back of the head-stock or on a control plate cover - meh, OK.  Its going to be pretty hard to get me to pay extra or see extra value for an autograph on a guitar unless its a perfect fit for that guitar.

But a guitar autographed by the wrong person/people or signed all over the body by any random group, or ANY fucking "sports" team or athlete is an absolute deal breaker for me.  And on a custom graphic?!?!   Nope.  No.  Hell no.   Refin it or its firewood.

I know, I've become a picky fuck in my old age.  Now, get  off my lawn.   :D

i propose confiscation all of rick Nielsen’s sharpies and replace them with dry erase markers.             You can probably buff that out but no guarantee there’s no bleed thru.    Guessing the hamer poly blend might be a little more resilient than vintage style nitro.     Perfect example of how autos can reduce the value of your guitar.   (Talking mostly about the bucs,  boneheaded,  must have been alcohol flowing somewhere).    Heck I would tell Tom Brady to get the pen away from my guitar. 

2 hours ago, crunchee said:

IIRC, it's kinda rare to get a Bun E. autograph on CT stuff, even when they were playing together, isn't it?

Why is that? Is he wary of people reselling Cheap Trick merchandise/CDs/shirts/etc. with his autograph on it? I met Bun E. Carlos at NAMM years ago at the Ludwig drum booth, got his autograph on a Ludwig drum poster with Bun on the poster, and the rest of Cheap Trick was standing nearby. That was cool that they were showing their support for him in the better days off before the controversy over his departure from the band. Kind of sad & childish on the band's part to let him go over something that was said. 

I asked Michael Schenker to autograph a picture of him at the UFO reunion at the Edge nightclub in Palo Alto, CA on April of 1998. He signed it on the back with my name and made a remark that I was going to sell it on E-bay. I was happy that I got his signature on my Michael Schenker picture, but felt like he was lambasting me for bringing a picture & asking for his autograph. He was probably mad that I didn't buy their CD either. The UFO reunion show was great! After that experience from someone who I admired as a rock musician when I was younger, I've lost my enthusiasm towards meeting famous entertainers. I won't ever come over to greet them, ask for autographs or pictures, and would rather ignore them & go about my business. I know entertainers have their off days, might be feeling anti-social, apprehensive of people approaching them, and don't want to be bothered by the public. No problem, dude!

About the Rick Nielsen Hamer Standard from Japan: I think it's overpriced for someone's autograph being on it. I would buy it, play it. and let the autographs rub off. If the guitar sounds good, why should someone's autograph stop you from playing it?

Guitar George

11 minutes ago, Hamer95USA said:

I've lost my enthusiasm towards meeting famous entertainers. I won't ever come over to greet them,

I've always had  good luck meeting & obtaining signatures with famous people including Michael Schenker... he has always been very nice to me & has signed quite a few items for me... I've even had Joe Satriani sign one of my old Charvels... I once had Whitesnake sign the back of one of my American Beretta necks then youth+bong hits+and a inquisitive mind had me sand the profile down right up to the truss rod 😞

& I'm not sure why I'm confessing all this 😆

8 minutes ago, Dave Scepter said:

I've always had  good luck meeting & obtaining signatures with famous people including Michael Schenker... he has always been very nice to me & has signed quite a few items for me... I've even had Joe Satriani sign one of my old Charvels... I once had Whitesnake sign the back of one of my American Beretta necks then youth+bong hits+and a inquisitive mind had me sand the profile down right up to the truss rod 😞

& I'm not sure why I'm confessing all this 😆

That's cool for you. I wasn't exactly feeling like I was supposed to be happy to meet him after the remark at the UFO reunion meet & greet at the beginning of the show. The whole meet/greet/get autograph, picture, swag thing and paying extra for early entry/soundcheck/backstage isn't my cup of tea. I'm just happy to see the concert with my friends, have a few drinks, enjoy the show, and leave.

1 hour ago, Hamer95USA said:

About the Rick Nielsen Hamer Standard from Japan: I think it's overpriced for someone's autograph being on it. I would buy it, play it. and let the autographs rub off. If the guitar sounds good, why should someone's autograph stop you from playing it?                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

Because its value has been ruined and it looks like shit.

On a side note: I find it hilarious that the Cheap Trick logo has the, "registered trademark, 'R.'" That HAD to be Nielsen's idea.

26 minutes ago, RobB said:

I find it hilarious that the Cheap Trick logo has the, "registered trademark, 'R.'"

I find it hilarious that the seller lists the condition as "mint".

The autographs of the band members on the back make sense and are OK, still nothing I'd pay a premium for.  The front is a straight--up dumpster fire.   It would definitely need to go to someone talented to get a "front only" duplicate refin and then declare a ten foot radius around that MF as a Sharpie free zone.

2 hours ago, Hamer95USA said:

Why is that? Is he wary of people reselling Cheap Trick merchandise/CDs/shirts/etc. with his autograph on it

Seems like I remember an item being sold on Ebay that had all four members of CT's autograph on it, and somebody had mentioned here on the HFC that Bun E. didn't often sign autographs.  I don't know why that was, that's why my statement ended with a question mark.

Bun E. wouldn't sign guitars nor pickguards after a certain point in the very early 2000s - maybe the late '90s.  He told me that he didn't sign them because he wasn't a guitar player.  He'd gladly sign a CT album, ticket stub, poster or whatever though.

He made very limited exceptions when the band donated or auctioned off a guitar for a charity or something, but again that was an extremely rare occurrence.

12 hours ago, cmatthes said:

Bun E. wouldn't sign guitars nor pickguards after a certain point in the very early 2000s - maybe the late '90s.  He told me that he didn't sign them because he wasn't a guitar player.  He'd gladly sign a CT album, ticket stub, poster or whatever though.

He made very limited exceptions when the band donated or auctioned off a guitar for a charity or something, but again that was an extremely rare occurrence.

Well, that explains this then: years ago a friend of a friend was in an accident ended up in a coma and then in the hospital for weeks.  He was a big music fan and our mutual friend got the idea to get a cowbell (at the time, the "more cowbell" SNL sketch was relatively recent) and get famous people from the bands he liked to autograph it.  I met up with Cheap Trick and was getting them all to sign it and Rick wouldn't even after hearing the story.  His reason: "I don't play drums."

1 hour ago, tommy p said:

His reason: "I don't play drums."

1 hour ago, tommy p said:

He made very limited exceptions when the band donated or auctioned off a guitar for a charity or something

This explains why they split up.

I've removed permanent marker from a few different painted surfaces using a dry erase marker.  You just rub over the permanent ink with the dry erase marker.  The latter dissolves the former and you can then clean the surface with a damp rag.

I'm not sure it would work on this guitar, but if you could get it for 30-40% of the asking price, it might be worth a shot.

I use denatured alcohol on my workbenches to remove sharpie, which are wood (maple), finished in urethane. I would think this or naphtha would clean that standard up. The problem would probably be that for 16 years the sharpie had been blocking any uv and reacting with the finish so even if removed you it you will have a different hue underneath that is still visible.  

It'll be interesting to see if someone buys it.  I don't care for the body scheme without the signatures.  I'd have to refinish it all white.  But at $4000 what's the point.  Currently on HFC there's a red flamed maple Standard with matching head stock for $3300.  If I was looking for a Standard the choice would be a no brainer.

Archived