Hamer Fan Club Message Center

1978 Gibson SG Custom

There is a local music store that took in a 1978 Gibson SG Custom that is as near new as you will get for a 41 year old guitar.  There are no pick swirls on the three gold pickup covers.  The walnut finish is shiny.  The store owner said there is a mark on the back.  It does not matter.  If you are looking for something virtually unplayed this is the one.  The price is $3500. 

The store should be able to provide photos.  PM me for the store contact info. 

7 minutes ago, HoboMan said:

Not interested but curious, is there an issue with just posting the guitar store's name here? Are you getting a commission on the sale?

I would like for the regular HFC members to get first crack rather than just posting something for the lurkers.  I will respond to any PM, but people like yourself are regular participants.  You should get the first opportunity. 

No commission for me, either. 

If it is in that great of condition  that would be the one to have. I had a cherry SG Custom back in the day and it was a excellent guitar................. but...........................I always wanted one in the  white finish.

4 hours ago, Camstone said:

The asking price is pretty close to what the street price would have been new in 1978 (adjusted for the 293% inflation). I was selling new Gibsons in 1978. This one looks like a closet queen to me..

I remember one of the slogans back around that time... "A Gibson SG. For Half a G".

1 hour ago, scottcald said:

Looks great.  Haven't seen the gold with walnut before, very cool.

My guitar teacher (29 years ago) had one exactly like this, but 2 pickups and rosewood/small blocks instead of the ebony/big blocks on a custom. Walnut finish and gold hardware looks great on an SG! (And Jim's guitar is why I still prefer rosewood with small blocks!)

On 10/21/2019 at 1:14 PM, Camstone said:

.....This one looks like a closet queen to me..

Has to be - the gold plating comes off of those if you just look at it too hard.

Archived