Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Freddie King In 1966 On 'The !!!! Beat'

crunchee

Freddie King with his cherry red Gibson ES-345, as featured on a short-lived syndicated show called 'The !!!! Beat', recorded at WFAA in Dallas in 1966.  The show specialized in Blues and Soul acts, and the leader of the 'house band' was Clarence 'Gatemouth' Brown, who can be seen playing in the background with what looks to me like a late '50's Rickenbacker Capri Model 340/345 (three toaster-top pickup hollowbody, with what looks like a trem tailpiece) in Mapleglo:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_!!!!_Beat

I am a Freddie King nut. I was really excited when Gibson came out with the signature model ES 345. Unfortunately, the neck is too thick for my playing comfort so I had to pass on getting one. I have these videos on VHS. I need to get the DVD version. 

Excellent

"When Dallas Rocked"  had some nice stills of Freddy King meeting Peter Frampton and various other tidbits about Freddie.   The upcoming Vaughn Bros movie has Jimmie referring to Freddie King and the dinner/bars they used to play in.   Some of my favorite Buddy Whittington performances  are Freddie King covered tunes.    Good stuff!

Hamerica

Archived