Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Betty Davis, I'm a little late to this party...

BruceM

I recently ran across an article in Pitchfork about Betty Davis:

Betty Davis - Nasty Gal review

As I said in the title, I'm a little late to this party. This is blistering rock/funk from the 70s, and she also did some recordings for Columbia in the 60s. Look it up if you've never heard of her.

And I'll leave you with this clip of Mahalia Barnes & The Soul Mates, featuring Joe Bonamassa covering the song Nasty Gal. They released a cover album a few years ago:

I always like discovering "new" old music.

I love Betty Davis. She made three albums back in the day and they are worth buying on CD, all three of them. Raw, sexy and funky. If I remember correctly Larry Graham plays bass on the first album, but I don't think he is on the other two. Still, killer musicians on all albums. 

There is also a lost album that was released in 2009, is it love or desire. Perhaps not as good as the other three, but it's still worth having, (it sure is funky enough). 

https://www.popmatters.com/118737-betty-davis-nasty-gal-light-in-the-attic-is-it-love-or-desire-light--2496149411.html

edit: @RobB Thanks for posting about Tales from the Bus tour. I had forgotten that I needed to watch that. Started to google for the DVD. Then I found the whole series on HBO Nordic. I on my way to buy a six pack of beer and a pizza right now, I'm gonna binge watch!

1 hour ago, RobB said:

You’ll dig TFTTB. 2 seasons so far and every episode has been excellent. The James Brown 2-parter is a hoot!

Great!

I found this movie too, just now. It seems it is coming out on DVD in January 2020. Can be streamed on Vimeo right now, pay per view.

https://www.popmatters.com/betty-they-say-im-different-film-interview-2593326412.html?rebelltitem=6#rebelltitem6

300x.jpg

On 10/20/2019 at 9:28 PM, RobB said:

The Betty Davis episode of, “Tales From the Tour Bus”, is very enlightening. She is just as important as Parliament/PFunk in the development of hard funk. She’s NASTY. 

George Clinton was a piece of shit. His "bandmates" deserve the credit he gets.

Archived