Hamer Fan Club Message Center

String Deals

I usually just wait until GC or MF has a 10 or 12 set deal for right around $3 a pack...usually Balls or D’Addario XLs....but on my SHISHKOV, I pony up for the NYXLs. They are incredible.

Just scored 12 packs of EB Cobalt Slinkys (sorry: 9- 42's) for 90 bucks with PA tax.  Still 8 bucks a pack but it's cheapest I've seen (short of those gift packs at guitar shows) and got here in 2 days.

There’s a guitar center down the street from my office so I do their monthly “string club”

paid the yearly membership, whatever it was, $20 maybe...? then once a month I get $5 towards a pack of strings. GHS Boomers cost me 40 cents out the door. 

So it ends up being something like 12 sets of strings for the price of 4 or 5, or something like that. 

^^ This. 

Have been using Strings and Beyond for over 10 years now.  Good prices, outstanding selection, quick ship out of North Carolina via USPS Priority Mail, regular specials.

The best deals are discoveries of sheer luck. I was in a mom'n'pop music store, and on my way out, there was a basket of strings on the checkout counter. It was filled with Elixir guitar strings at $2.00/set (Elixirs retail at around  $10.69 - $12.59/set today0. I grabbed a hand full and checked out. These were 11-49s and were absolute magic with my new Newport. It turns out that the slightly thicker strings put more downforce on the bridge and archtop, and really opened up the sound. 

With their polyweb coating, they lasted a long time and I gladly ponied up $8.50 for replacement strings from then on.

Anymore, I tend to shop at juststrings.com. Staggering selection, goood prices, prompt and free shipping. What's not to like?

I recently ordered 50 sets of Martin strings (25 9-42, 25 10-46) from Strings By Mail.  I paid $49.99 for each pack of 25 and I think shipping was $3.95, so $103.93 total, or about #2.07 per set.I haven't tried many yet, but first impression was they feel much better for me than D'Addario and fairly similar to EB or Boomers.I don't expect them to last as long, but so far I'm very pleased for the price.  

I'll just go ahead and say NOW to skip Webstrings. Didn't even make the weekend.

I bought 10s, 9.5s and hybrid sets (9s top, 10s bottom) from Webstrings and put them on 3 main guitars just before a jam a couple of weeks ago. At first I thought maybe I didn't stretch them enough or something because they would not stay in tune. After a couple of weeks and a couple of string breaks with no improvement in tuning stability, I took them off last night and the EBs and D'addarios are back on.

Three different guitars (LP, Hamer Jr and Dillion Firebird), three different gauges of strings - same tuning issues across the board. That's not very good. With my annual gig coming up tomorrow, I can't be worrying about grabbing a note that ain't that note.

I haven't bought strings in years... because I'm lazy about changing them, and also when Carvin changed from GHS to something else I stocked up on the "Carvin" branded strings.

Archived