Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA: 1981 Prototype Two Coil

oh man, thats my old guitar sold in 2006 to San Francisco area (if I remember correctly)- I think Peter bought this ...

big increase in value ;-)

5 hours ago, The Shark said:

That's $2,049.50 per pickup.  A little strong, if I do say so.

Needs a neck pickup, but it would be over six grand then...

If you count on that way: It is still a "bargain" compare to an Esquire with only one PU :-)

Great guitars. Too many were routed out for bridge humbuckers, but a new scratchplate hides the vandalism.

They were made (about 20) for a German distributor, but they pulled out and Prosound in Koblenz (Peter Wolf) took the majority.

Whether they are collectable enough to justify that price? I don't know.

12 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Great guitars. Too many were routed out for bridge humbuckers, but a new scratchplate hides the vandalism.

They were made (about 20) for a German distributor, but they pulled out and Prosound in Koblenz (Peter Wolf) took the majority.

This one was "untouched" when she leaved me

TC.JPG

3 hours ago, Andrew said:

They were made (about 20) for a German distributor,

So they are more rare than 4 digit Standards, many have been modified, leaving perhaps eight clean examples in the wild?  Sounds far more rare than Virtuous and they command those prices. 

46 minutes ago, Studio Custom said:

So they are more rare than 4 digit Standards, many have been modified, leaving perhaps eight clean examples in the wild?  Sounds far more rare than Virtuous and they command those prices. 

But it's still a Prototype in the end. Awesome, yet under appreciated. 

20 hours ago, The Shark said:

And not worth the cash this seller is asking...

what is the value of a guitar? 58´s Les Paul for 200.000 $ is also only a guitar...

i.m.o. Value is that somebody who want it is "willing" to pay for... (of course: I have sell this one for much less 13 years ago...)

I have payed much to much for some of mine guitars, but be happy to have them! (please don´t tell my wife!) :-)

14 hours ago, JochenP said:

what is the value of a guitar? 58´s Les Paul for 200.000 $ is also only a guitar...

i.m.o. Value is that somebody who want it is "willing" to pay for... (of course: I have sell this one for much less 13 years ago...)

I have payed much to much for some of mine guitars, but be happy to have them! (please don´t tell my wife!) 🙂

Me too, but I'm not big on paying double...

13 hours ago, Camstone said:

I paid a grand for this one not all that long ago.

If I replaced the motherbucker with a single coil, it would not be a better guitar.

Phantom (1024x768).jpg

You are looking at strictly from a functionality issue, not accounting for rarity. 

Is a Les Paul completed on December 31, 1959 really a different guitar than one completed January 2, 1960?  

Of course not, but the former is worth far more because it is a 1959

4 hours ago, Studio Custom said:

You are looking at strictly from a functionality issue, not accounting for rarity. 

Some things are rare for a reason.  Hell, even the distributor that placed the original order didn't want them once built.

Personally, I would pay more for @Camstone's than for the two coil.  Yes, I prefer function over rarity.  The two coil would be cool for a collector, for sure.  

My personal opinion, if I'm going to collect then I'm going to spend my cash on something that will appreciate at a greater rate due to a wider audience at a later date.  I will put my life on the line to say that every one of my Hamers over the years were better made guitars than 99% of Gibsons.  The sad fact is that more people recognize the Gibson name and they will attract a higher price/mystique than Hamers aside from the small group of those "in the know"

Of course, that small group is pretty much on this forum and have abided by the unwritten oath not to gouge a fellow Hamer fan club brother for the sake of making an extra few dollars.  Just one more reason why this is the greatest forum in the intrarwebs....

There are a lot of very rare objects that are not highly valued:

AMC Matadors

Les Paul Personal and Professional models

My artwork

It's a cool guitar, the seller only needs one buyer willing to pay the price.

Archived