Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What Gravelin pickups for a Studio Custom

This forum is full of very knowledgeable folks so I’m looking for some ideas.  I’m looking to replace the stock SD pickups on my Studio Custom and I figured I can’t go wrong with with Gravelin’s.

I play mostly classic rock on this guitar with my favorite tones from Clapton,  Bad Company,  Zepplin and throw in GnR for Slashes tone.

what pickup would you guys recommen?  I tend to stay traditional and was leaning PAF but I’m open for options

thanks!

The pickups @JGravelin wound for my Charvel are flat out amazing. I’m definitely going to have him wind me some more for another guitar or two. 

I would suggest talking to him and telling him exactly what you’re looking for. If he doesn’t have something “off the shelf” that fits your needs perfectly then he’ll create it. 

Cant recommend Josh highly enough. 

the ones in the demo guitar are pretty hot to my ear, hotter than 57 classic gibson. If I was ordering some for classic rock I would go lower output than the one in the proto but humbucker kinda freak me out anyway 

All I know is this: the Shlabotnik sisters Josh wound in 0006 are quite simply the best sounding humbuckers I have ever played....from 1978 till today.

Ditto on the above, if you email him and explain what you use and what you’re going for he can definitely fine tune the best fit.     He just did a slightly hotter than vintage p-90 dogear for me and it came out awesome.    

42 minutes ago, Peter Studio Custom said:

Hammerhead. Those pickups are awesome!   I’m really enjoying the Artist,  thanks for a smooth sale

You're welcome. I'm glad you're still diggin' it.

Thanks again everyone,  Josh responded right away and we had a phone call to talk through what I was looking for.  Pickups on order so now just need to be patient for a couple of weeks to get them.

what a great time to play guitar with so many great craftsman building all custom products.  Not much better then talking directly to the person making something for you.

Thanks to Josh and the forum 

2 minutes ago, Peter Studio Custom said:

Decided to go with a modified version of the stock “Charlotte” pickups.  2 wire not 4 since I won’t be coil tapping.  Love the sound of them and the fact that the bridge is slightly hotter.

really looking forward to getting them and installing!

Love it. Full tone report when you get them installed...

Sweet.  This thread is very timely since I was just looking at Josh’s site and wondering what I could do for my studio custom.  I loved the modified pickup I bought from him for a partscaster last year.  

Thanks for all the positivity everyone! I love what I do, take a lot of pride in it, and to work directly with customers and create special magnetic works of art that help inspire better and more music from people - this is why I do it. Thank you all for your enthusiasm and support!

Peter, it was a pleasure to talk to you and I'm excited to get started on your set. I was short exactly 1 screw-side black bobbin and ordered bunch along with a few other bits and pieces I needed for some other custom pickup orders; everything will be arriving on Tues and I'll get to work immediately.

And Bubs was right: pay no attention to my website, at least for now. I'm working with an extremely talented guy on a site-wide revamp, hyper-optimized SEO, new pickup models with actual names, a pickup database, photo blog, and more .. coming soon!

Ua D, get in touch and let's discuss this. I'm glad to assist however I can. Holler at me here: [email protected]

12 hours ago, JGravelin said:

I love what I do, take a lot of pride in it, and to work directly with customers and create special magnetic works of art that help inspire better and more music from people - this is why I do it. 

Definitely a lost commodity in today's Workforce...  Keep up the great work Josh!

Archived