Hamer Fan Club Message Center

looking for this RED SNAKESKIN guitar

Rick

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, hamer-on said:

I don’t want to sell it for $700. I bought it for more, got the frets done and made the floyd right. I don’t know the person who sold it to me. 
It is a great sounding bad ass Hamer.

I totally understand where you're coming from.

I know you're trying to work with Rick on this, but $700 is WAY too low of a price for your guitar.

I REALLY hope you don't end up feeling guilted into selling it for a price you're not happy with.

If the family wants the guitar that bad, you'd think they'd  gladly pay a fair market price.

Stick to your guns hamer-on.

That guitar is worth (easily) three times that at "good guy" pricing.  A fair deal all around for something that rare and unique would be somewhere in the low to mid-$2,000s.  

That would sell for a considerable number north on the open market.

Shame it didn’t work out but you should not feel guilty. You didn’t have to reply to the thread and say you are the owner but you did. You bought it in a shop years ago not like you bought cheap from the original owner. There is a market value for items and why would you give a stranger it for a significant lower amount just because they want it. This would apply to any items. You would not sell your house cheap because someone knocked on the door and said their granny had lived there. I know it is not exactly the same but the principle applies. 

I understand you would like to work it out and have a feel good day for you and the potential buyer, plus get some good $$$$ for the guitar,a win/win...............................like they say it is what it is and what it is IS a very rare and expensive Hamer  guitar. No reason what so ever to feel like a "DICK" about it,your not guilty of doing anything wrong. If the buyer saw this guitar in a "Music Store" I doubt the owner would leave that kind of money on the table and sell it for $$$$ less just because someone walked in and said that was my brother's guitar and he is passed on now. "Fair Market Value" would be a great deal for the buyer as you could ask more and get it. I DO [I had a similar situation happen with my family with a car and it just couldn't be worked out either] have empathy for him and that the guitar has a special meaning but some times things just can not be worked out the way you would like to see them You could have kept quiet and no one would ever have known about the guitar but you offered it up so now the ball is in the buyers court to see if its worth it to him to have it back.

You don't have to own something to appreciate, celebrate or show off its sentiment and heirloom value. Offer to show up at a studio with it so they can take a nice professional photograph of it, and they can spend what they wish on a pro shoot session, frame, glass, mounting, lighting, etc.

I get this all the time at my shop ... people look at me like I'm the bad guy when I tell them they will have to invest $1000K plus in mostly my labor on a $30 guitar their Grandaddy bought when he got home from the (insert any) war, in order to make it not only look like but play like and sound (horribly) like it did back generations ago. They put the guilt trip on me like I'm the one shitting the bed. I simply tell them a dedicated glass case, displayed in a prominent area, with a switchable illumination light is plenty adequate of a tribute. If they continue putting guilt and sob on me, I just tell them if it meant that much to whomever, we would have never gotten to us meeting up in the first place. That ends shit quickly.

On a guitar note, the family in which my fully restored '55 Junior originated has reached out to me wanting to buy it back. The one me and Shane at HEL took from this ...

21149907_1730828323886011_88495934545083

to this ...

21167153_1730827293886114_88011010205645

The asking price I gave them (well above market BTW) not only reflects my time and $$$ investment, it also reflects MY OWN heirloom value. Considering I worked my ass off, over a long period, spending a lot of money ... and I literally bled on and in this thing getting it back to where it is today ... after waiting YEARS to have not only a vintage Junior AND one I brought back to life ... the '55 and I have at least as much sentiment as their family ever put into it. And I never gutted and kicked the fucker to the curb by selling it to the guy I got it from for salvage. They only showed interest AFTER I brought it back to '55 time capsule visuals. Fitting.

If someone offered me only $700 for the red snake, I'd personally be offended. Give them a current asking price based on fair market value and tell them until they are prepared to pay fair market value, whether it's today, next year or 12 years from now, you're not selling. But you'll gladly help them within reason to create a fitting tribute.

So Cool Story so far. I see that the guy that wants a piece of his brother back for his family has $700, not nearly enough for such a guitar. Travis you serious about having a lil something to chip in. I got $25. We as a group did this kinda thing once before and I recall it generated a lot of good feelings. Christmas is coming maybe it is time to contribute to something like this or somewhere else you choose.

So anyone in? :huh:🏁

Over the years I have been contacted by several people who want to buy a guitar from my collection, but rarely do they want to pay fair market value.   They will tell me why they had to sell, and how I'm supposed to sell it back to them for 1/2 of what I paid for it, because that is what they sold for in their desperation a decade previous.    

Someone has reached out to me to buy a Barney Rubble SSI many times, he is convinced he would be over paying at $1,500.   🤣  He had one back in the day, so I guess I owe him? 

When I had the five Virtuosos people would routinely offer me a grand each for them, to take them off my hands.  

Just ignore the nonsense. 

3 minutes ago, BTMN said:

So Cool Story so far. I see that the guy that wants a piece of his brother back for his family has $700, not nearly enough for such a guitar. Travis you serious about having a lil something to chip in. I got $25. We as a group did this kinda thing once before and I recall it generated a lot of good feelings. Christmas is coming maybe it is time to contribute to something like this or somewhere else you choose.

May I recommend Visa or MasterCard?  They are in the I want it now, but don't have the money, business.  

Just so everyone knows, and I can't believe I'm trying to clarify this, but I did respond 3 times via email and didn't hear back as they must have not gone through. I sent a private message and hope that does reach Hamer-on.

I don't know if anyone else has seen this light-coloured snakeskin Chaparral on Reverb:

https://reverb.com/item/27236692-1987-hamer-chaparral-custom-in-snakeskin-graphic

As it has a single pickup, no tone control and an Ebony fretboard just like hamer-on's red one it would have been a custom order too.   I've been specifically hunting for Chaparrals on Reverb and Ebay for around the last 9 months and in that time I've only seen 2 light snakeskin ones (including the one above) and a single red snakeskin one that was a standard model with the H/S/S pickup configuration and a Pau Ferro fretboard, not a one-off custom ordered piece.  The above Chaparral on Reverb has 31 watchers and 3 declined offers so there is considerable interest in it and it's asking price in dollars is just over $3400. Just thought it might be worth a mention,  it might well be the only snakeskin Chaparral on the planet currently for sale, or if it's not I'd bet the actual number is below 5.

12 hours ago, hamer-on said:

I don’t want to sell it for $700. I bought it for more, got the frets done and made the floyd right. I don’t know the person who sold it to me. 
It is a great sounding bad ass Hamer.

8 minutes ago, Rick said:

also, this isn't a "sob story" its my attempt to bring back a guitar of a great brother and brother-in -law to his family.

You offered $700, which is at best, 25% of its value. 

Maybe you did not know the guitar's value when you started this journey, but now you do, so its time to decide if it worth that much to you.  

36 minutes ago, BTMN said:

Proceed with caution: there's precedence here for chicanery with that sort of thing: Specifically, someone soliciting donations for something related to a medical situation, then flaunting luxury purchases soon after receiving the funds.

Absolutely be cautious. He never solicited funding. Travis offered up and I went with that sentiment also. I feel the OP was unaware of the potential rareness and cost of such a nice one off Hamer. Maybe they can't really afford it but really miss the lost family member. I get that. My idea was just that, an idea. :)

Passing it on, paying it forward, all that. If you do not wanna give, no one has to.B) Please give elsewhere this upcoming holiday season. It will mean a lot for some and yes, some that don't deserve any assistance will get a piece of that pie too. B)

Fellas I appreciate the offers for assistance but that's not what I'm here for. We truly miss Randy and are just trying to bring back something he was very proud of and never wanted to sell but had to. thank you all for trying to help.

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 9:29 AM, MCChris said:

Proceed with caution: there's precedence here for chicanery with that sort of thing: Specifically, someone soliciting donations for something related to a medical situation, then flaunting luxury purchases soon after receiving the funds.

Not to derail, but I don't recall this at all! seems like I missed some good sh**

arniez

On 11/12/2019 at 7:05 AM, Rick said:

Just so everyone knows, and I can't believe I'm trying to clarify this, but I did respond 3 times via email and didn't hear back as they must have not gone through. I sent a private message and hope that does reach Hamer-on.

On 11/12/2019 at 7:06 AM, Rick said:

also, this isn't a "sob story" its my attempt to bring back a guitar of a great brother and brother-in -law to his family.

On 11/12/2019 at 7:57 AM, Rick said:

Fellas I appreciate the offers for assistance but that's not what I'm here for. We truly miss Randy and are just trying to bring back something he was very proud of and never wanted to sell but had to. thank you all for trying to help.

Did he ever get back to you?

Multiple emails & possibly PMs not getting through...how did he manage to get your original offer?

How incredibly anticlimactic... 😒🙄

Ahh, I'm seeing somewhat of a disconnect here. This guitar was sold, by the original owner, who owned a guitar store, TEN YEARS AGO.  And apparently the person who bought it from them still has it.  I would wonder why in the 10 years since the sale, no effort was made by the original owner to retrieve it. It hasn't gone anywhere, and if they owned a guitar shop, it seems somewhat odd that they would've HAD to sell it, especially if it meant that much to them.

This reminds me of things that I have to deal with where I work. We sell military collectibles. Some of them were owned by notable people. Many still have living family, who often don't realize how much things can be worth, or how little. Anyway, we get hate mail from "relatives" wanting us to "give back their father's/uncle's/grandfather's" uniform/whatever, that apparently was "stolen", because their relative never would have sold it.  Well then we prove that yes, it was sold by that person, or their wife, or someone who was the rightful owner at the time of sale.

So then we get lowball offers on selling it back to them, most likely so they can then sell it themselves, and make money.

Anyway, I certainly hope that something can be worked out if it really means that much to the family, but something doesn't quite seem right. Someone should NEVER feel obligated to sell something for less than what they want because someone has a personal connection to an item.

I have not heard back. He always regreted  selling it. As far as I know, he didn’t have the opportunity to buy it back as his other needs were greater than this guitar. I. Dont know how much he sold it for but am more than willing to be fair in trying to get it back to our family. I would still feel the same way about it if it was a $100 guitar. Its meaningful to us because it resented a great time in his life, a purchase he was very proud of. Selling it was something he did not take lightly. His sister and I would have bought it if we had known.  He worked very hard in his life and was well loved. This guitar would always remain in our family. 

And I do not expect anyone to give the guitar away. I just want the opportunity to reach a fair aggreement. 

Well-put, Rick. Given that the deal is not happening, I'd suggest deleting this thread before it gets heated into stupidity by well-meaning bystanders. If you manage to work out a purchase with the owner off of the HFC board, log back in with an update post to let the membership know all is well.

That's what I'd do, anyway.

Archived