Jump to content
Hamer Fan Club Message Center
Sign in to follow this  
Sugartune

New Amp + Pedal Board Day

Recommended Posts

Been away for a while. Not really by choice. Something weird was up with my account, and I couldn't log in. But anyway, I'm happy to be back! 

New amp, Revv D20 - 20 or 4 Watts. 2 6V6s. Could fit a lunch inside if it were empty. Amazing clean/pedal platform. Two Notes Torpedo Cab and Speaker sim direct into DAW or Board from amp. Super awesome all around. 

New Pedal Board - Temple Audio Duo 17 with 4 way Jack module, IEC Mains Module. Purged a bunch, trying to stabilize a lineup...the pedals mount to the board via a plate that is applied to the pedal. It's not terribly hard to remove the plates cleanly, but not something you can do on the fly unless the replacement pedal already has a plate attached. Not ideal for all, if you constantly swap. Perfect for those looking to love the ones you're with ;).

Pedals - Peterson StroboStomp HD, Earthquaker Devices Plumes, JHS Kilt V2, Strymon Riverside, Empress Echosystem, Strymon Flint. I've said it before, but I'm done. This time it's personal.

IMG_8646.JPG

59370437966__244DB42B-38B7-4C76-9D18-43EDFC5F7019.JPG

59370789322__C7058AAE-07FD-4FF1-B268-E77685252027.JPG

  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s neat that they added the lights. There’s a nifty little power out to light the logo in their cabs, if you should happen to have one to pair it with :). I guess all their amps are like that. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a perfect setup for home or playing out. I use a Torpedo CAB M/Neunaber Neuron preamp to go direct for my home rig. 

What's the story with Revv using Two-notes DI tech in their amps? Are they a division of Two Notes or did they license it?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, RobB said:

That's a perfect setup for home or playing out. I use a Torpedo CAB M/Neunaber Neuron preamp to go direct for my home rig. 

What's the story with Revv using Two-notes DI tech in their amps? Are they a division of Two Notes or did they license it?

It really is perfect. It truly loves pedals too. I’m really digging the whole gambit of features so far. 

I do believe it was developed in partnership. So perhaps a licensing deal applies. Not an ownership or any other affiliation, as far as I know.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love that HAMER sign you got there!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Disturber said:

Love that HAMER sign you got there!

Thank you. A friend of mine made it for me. He did a killer job. :) 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks killer. How would you describe the REVV?  I’ve been looking at amps around 15-20w that take pedals well and completely overlooked the REVV...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Travis said:

Looks killer. How would you describe the REVV?  I’ve been looking at amps around 15-20w that take pedals well and completely overlooked the REVV...

I would describe it as awesome. 

Most definitely takes pedals well. 

I set it very clean (and it does clean really well) for a solid base tone, use a Flint for Reverb and Tremolo, and use all sorts of drives and delays, don’t use the effects loop. It’s been great with every pedal/effect I’ve played with it. 

I was playing with the amp grind earlier today and it’s really nice too! Nothing super gainy or super sustaining, but nice and crunchy, rocking Ac/dc type grit. Even better with something pushing it from the pedalboard. 

I love it. I play it every chance I get, and just want to keep going on it with every guitar for hours on end. 

Still in the honeymoon period, but it sounds awesome no matter what I do throw at it.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You‘ve got some great stuff there. Enjoy!

The Hamer wood board kills.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, gorch said:

You‘ve got some great stuff there. Enjoy!

The Hamer wood board kills.

+1

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, SSII x 2 said:

Love the Jazzmaster!

Thank you! So do I, quite a bit. It surprised me :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, SSII x 2 said:

Love the Jazzmaster!

Actually, was is special with these Jazzmasters? It has a few more switches I recognized.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, gorch said:

Actually, was is special with these Jazzmasters? It has a few more switches I recognized.

This one in particular does not have those wacky switches :). This is the performer series, it has a Strat trem and simply a pickup selector switch. No other switches. I like it simple :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks sweet!  Clispeses? :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, draelyc said:

Looks sweet!  Clispeses? :)

Someday I'll shat some out :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just came across this amp rooting around for truffles on Reverb. Why an amp was rooting around for truffles online I don't know. groucho3-xlarge.jpg

What you hear when he is fiddling with the built-in amp simulation is what I hear with the A+ CabZone LE. Same shift in presence and dynamics with different sims. Most noticeable with distortion. Boy can play can't he?

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 10/31/2019 at 11:11 PM, Sugartune said:

I would describe it as awesome. 

Most definitely takes pedals well. 

I set it very clean (and it does clean really well) for a solid base tone, use a Flint for Reverb and Tremolo, and use all sorts of drives and delays, don’t use the effects loop. It’s been great with every pedal/effect I’ve played with it. 

I was playing with the amp grind earlier today and it’s really nice too! Nothing super gainy or super sustaining, but nice and crunchy, rocking Ac/dc type grit. Even better with something pushing it from the pedalboard. 

I love it. I play it every chance I get, and just want to keep going on it with every guitar for hours on end. 

Still in the honeymoon period, but it sounds awesome no matter what I do throw at it.

Ok... so for gain with this amp it is best to throw pedals into the front end... 

 

Does the amp have a basic tone character close to anything we would be familiar with? 

I'm looking for an amp to record direct with... I do love pedals... have you tried throwing anything Vox like in front... or Blackface to see how it reacts? 

Looks great and really interesting. Love having the Two Notes built in with it.... much more affordable than the Suhr PT15 which has their IR stuff loaded inside.. but costs twice as much. 

 

I see they have a new G20 out now... which is a higher gain version of the D20? My high gain stuff levels off at hot rodded Marshall style, so this might be more than I need.

 

 

Edited by bford

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/17/2020 at 3:20 PM, bford said:

Ok... so for gain with this amp it is best to throw pedals into the front end... 

 

Does the amp have a basic tone character close to anything we would be familiar with? 

I'm looking for an amp to record direct with... I do love pedals... have you tried throwing anything Vox like in front... or Blackface to see how it reacts? 

Looks great and really interesting. Love having the Two Notes built in with it.... much more affordable than the Suhr PT15 which has their IR stuff loaded inside.. but costs twice as much. 

 

I see they have a new G20 out now... which is a higher gain version of the D20? My high gain stuff levels off at hot rodded Marshall style, so this might be more than I need.

 

 

Sorry, shits been wacky, right? 

There is amp gain that's quite nice. It's low gain, but nice on it's own and real nice to stack into. 

Basic tonality comparison - The cleans, to my ears, sound like a Deluxe Reverb. Add a verb effect and you're in that ballpark. I frequently pair it with a Super Reverb for some stereo fun and I mostly keep it clean, which is against most of my other instincts for playing. But when I use a drive in front, I have enjoyed every loving minute. 

I haven't tried any sort of Vox or Blackface flavoured pedals in front, but I would be confident in it's ability to work well with either and beyond. It is a fantastic pedal platform. I have had great success with everything I have thrown at it. TS-type stuff, Marshall flavours, Fuzz (clean amp and dirty). All great. 

The PT15 also looks great, but seems a bit more complicated and the price too is not nearly as friendly. The Revv's are made in Canada, so that's a plus for me. Pete Thorn being a Canuck is cool, but Suhr stuff is beyond my rational reach. 

Yeah the G20 is more high gain oriented, but of course you don't have to crank the gain. It's cool/different for the midi capabilities. You can set multiple voicings, as many as you can program/your controller can handle. You can set the gain type (or clean signal), cab sim and reverb for each voicing. I may have gone for that had it been out when I got the D20, but I don't need the super high gain stuff. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...