Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Your go to pedal for chorus?

Travis

Need to add a chorus pedal to my board. Haven’t had one since I had an old DOD stereo chorus 20+ years ago. 

Just looking for a simple, straightforward pedal that sounds good. 

Feel free to include any reasons why you like one brand over another (Boss, MXR, EH, etc...)

thanks in advance 

If you’re buying used, it’s hard to beat Boss, they sound fantastic, are very abundant used and can be had for $45. List of artists using them is quite extensive including Les Paul (RIP), Michael Schenker, Ted Nugent, Frank Gambale, Vai, Satch, John 5, Dave Navarro, Richie Sambora, Mark Stern, Greg Howe.

2 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

If you’re buying used, it’s hard to beat Boss, they sound fantastic, are very abundant used and can be had for $45. List of artists using them is quite extensive including Les Paul (RIP), Michael Schenker, Ted Nugent, Frank Gambale, Vai, Satch, John 5, Dave Navarro, Richie Sambora, Mark Stern, Greg Howe.

Yeah, a list like that is quite an endorsement...

thanks for your input, as always. 

I have had a number of different chorus pedals over the years (decades) but the one I have now which I really love if the Digitech "Luxe" Anti Chorus. It is actually not a chorus pedal at all. It is a polyphonic de-tuner and you can go flat or sharp and then blend in as much of the detuned signal as you want. Makes your guitar sound fat!

I have two of them, one on my electric rig pedal board and one on my acoustic rig pedalboard.

Check it out:

I'd say Boss is your best bet. Like Butcher, they are everywhere.

My views of what I own now:

HBE THC Chorus. Very thick, chewy analog sounds. Does a good Leslie sim. Best with clean(ish) tones, as it can get a little noisy depending on how high the, "depth" knob, is cranked.

Keeley DynoMyRoto. Three pedals in one. TriChorus, Rotary and RotoFlange. On the fence on this one. It is a very abrupt pedal, and takes some dialing in to get right. The chorus is pure 80s, very Police/Rush-sounding. The rotory setting is very watery-sounding. A pretty good imitation, but there are better pedals for that. The RotoFlange can get some truly upsetting sounds. I like this as much as the TriChorus. The DMR is one of the few choruses I've tried where the, "level", control actually boosts the guitar signal past about 11o'clock. This one ain't no tone suckah!

MXR Analog Chorus: Got this recently, discounted from Sweetwater. $89, thought I'd try it out. It's actually a VERY good chorus. I'd put it up there with Boss, vintage MXR, etc. It has, "high" and "low", controls that are really useful for dialing in sounds. They rotate from, "cut" to "flat", and help shape the chorus to work with the amp.This is the one that made it to my pedalboard, but I'll prolly still keep the others around.

I have the Keeley DMR and RobB’s description is spot on. I love  the Rotoflange for both bass and guitar. Trichorus is awesome. Does Prince great.

My Lovepedal EPH3 delay has a cool chorus setting if you turn the delay to 0, Flutter to 1 o’clock, Mix and Feedback to about 11. A really nice chorus there...or I may have the mix and Flutter settings backwards. Anyway it is a cool Easter egg on that delay cuz it is a nice usable chorus sound.

14 hours ago, Len said:

image.png

My Choice

Any input on why you chose that one over the super chorus CH-1?

Considering the CE-2 was the go-to in the early to mid 80s, when chorus was everything, I'd be inclined to lean towards that modern Waza Craft repro too.

Bias alert: My go-to is a CE-2 from May 1983, the SN says.

And a Q: Does a univibe or clone of one count? I use my DejaVibe more than I use my classic Boss.

25 minutes ago, Jeff R said:

And a Q: Does a univibe or clone of one count? I use my DejaVibe more than I use my classic Boss.

I'm a 'viber, too... I've got a really early Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe (1995 - 12th in the US, and 1st to "just some kid - a non-artist" according to the old man when I ordered it) and a big gold Deja from 2001. Funny enough, my first ever pedal was a Boss CE-5, and it's a great one. I didn't fully appreciate it at the time, so I sold it to a buddy after a year or two of not using it once I got the Voodoo. It (the CE-5) was great at making almost any solid state amp sound a lot more like a Roland JC120, but my taste in equipment evolved, and ultimately I wanted "Little Wing" not "Message In A Bottle," so off it went. Miss that now and then.

Oh, if vibes are part of the discussion, I have a killer Lovepedal 5 knob photocell Vibronaut for sale right now...but I am kinda hoping it doesn’t sell. It’s cool...but the Lovepedal Pickle Vibe is my fave vibe. It has some phase shifter under the vibe and is glorious.

I have a Rocktek CHR-01 (plastic case but amazing) on my board and a DOD FX-65 Stereo Chorus on the way in to replace it. Always loved the DOD FX-65 (just bought it back from the guy I sold it to last year)...

Red Witch Empress because Andy Summers used one once ;) ....but If I did it all again, It'd be a Boss CE-2w, or a Roland Jazz Chorus amp :)

The one that spent the most time on my pedalboard (decades) was an Ibanez FL-9, from the old 9 series.  It was a bit subtler than the Boss, a littleless seasick sounding to my ear.  Eventually it was replaced by a TC Eletronics SCF which, IMO is still the mack daddy of that sort of thing.

ETA: Travis, I bought that Ibanez from Mike when he was in his first store and Dan was in a punkin seat.

Boss BF2. Sure, technically it's a flanger, but it can be dialed in to do the EVH-type chorus Ed always used once he discovered the chorus pedal.

Plus, it's a decent flanger.

One more vote for the TC Electronics SCF. But I think that shows my age. A 1990s thing(?)

But I still like it. Pretty sure it is no longer in production, but it seemed to be THE standard for a good while.

Archived