Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Your go to pedal for chorus?

Travis

Not really practical but my oldest pedal ~ and the first "boooteek" thing I ever bought ~ is a Fulltone Choralflange.  Really hard to beat for rich, warm, analog goodness with a nice throb if that's your pleasure ;) .  Not practical because I believe they're out of production and could be pricey.  But IIRC (big if!), the CF-1 was Fulltone's take on the old Boss chorus, anyway, and you've already got lots of recommendations in that direction, so I'll throw in with them and say find a good used Boss. 

1 hour ago, django49 said:

One more vote for the TC Electronics SCF. But I think that shows my age. A 1990s thing(?)

But I still like it. Pretty sure it is no longer in production, but it seemed to be THE standard for a good while.

Hate to date us, but it came out in the '80s. It's still used today by many pros, and they are still a popular choice in studios. They are unfortunately pricey for a good one last I looked. I sold my mint one a few years ago for over $200 I think.

I guess I’m in the minority... I don’t like a chorus effect. So I’ve never owned one... I don’t like modulation with delay either. It’s the warbling around the pitch that drives me crazy and I think my guitars outa tune. Some say it makes it sound fuller. To my ears I hear it as slightly outa tune...

I use an Ibanez CS9.  A friend of mine gave me one 20+ years ago and it just hit the spot for me.  Two knobs for my simple brain; I just use it subtly for a little thickening on some parts or with both knobs up around 1:00 and beyond I can get a decent warbly semi-Leslie sound.  I like it so much that when Len was selling one here, I bought it as a backup.  One of these days I intend to build a small pedalboard that will handle most gigs and a larger one with some extra stuff on it.  The CS9 will be on both.

12 hours ago, tommy p said:

I use an Ibanez CS9.  A friend of mine gave me one 20+ years ago and it just hit the spot for me.  Two knobs for my simple brain; I just use it subtly for a little thickening on some parts or with both knobs up around 1:00 and beyond I can get a decent warbly semi-Leslie sound.  I like it so much that when Len was selling one here, I bought it as a backup.  One of these days I intend to build a small pedalboard that will handle most gigs and a larger one with some extra stuff on it.  The CS9 will be on both.

I used an Ibanez CS9 for many years until I found the Boss CE5 for my main board and sold it to Tommy ... still have one CS9 on my small gig board. I like both models

On 11/1/2019 at 4:28 PM, Camstone said:

I have had a number of different chorus pedals over the years (decades) but the one I have now which I really love if the Digitech "Luxe" Anti Chorus. It is actually not a chorus pedal at all. It is a polyphonic de-tuner and you can go flat or sharp and then blend in as much of the detuned signal as you want. Makes your guitar sound fat!

I have two of them, one on my electric rig pedal board and one on my acoustic rig pedalboard.

Check it out:

I'm gonna join @Camstone on Team Detune for this one.  My favorite "chorus" by far was when I had the Eventide PitchFactor.  The micropitch detune patch was a spot on version of what Jack Butler had going in Crossroads, which was a formative guitar memory for me.

That said, because that's the sound I'm after, I'm not normally a "chorus" guy.  

Failing the eventide, I'd probably go with the Luxe or maybe try out the newer Dimension Chorus pedal from Boss.

Archived