Hamer Fan Club Message Center

NBD: Rickenbacker 4003s

G Man

Well, as pretty as that EBMM Classic Sabre was that I posted several months back, I find I just really don't like an active bass.  So, it went on the chopping block with a trade option.  I was lucky enough to have someone offer this 2018 Mapleglow 4003s as a straight trade. Came in today and damn if it doesn't fit like a glove right out of the box.  I have heard some people have trouble with the ergo's on these basses, but not me.  I've got a set of TI flats on the way and it will be just right at that point . Can't wait for practice next week.

spacer.png

Oh nice!  Now if only they still came with the real horseshoe magnet bridge pickups. I think the cover is just a piece of plastic.

Still, those are great basses.  I unfortunately find then neck on them just too small for my hands.

I got a mapleglo '76 Ric 4001 back in 1982 and it was my only bass for years. Gigged it relentlessly and never had to so much as turn a wrench. I do regret selling it (with all my gear) in a fit of pique after my experiment with being in a signed band didn't end up being fun. Wonderful instruments, and more versatile than people assume.

I grew up on an '81 Stingray mongrel with a beautiful '79 Sabre neck. Loved it at the time, but after experiencing other basses in later years I eventually let it go.  Can't say I'd go out of my way for the MM sound again, but I still like the way those basses play.  For what it is worth, I have found renewed love for active basses in my old Mockingbird, my 4-dig Hamers, and an Alembic Distillate.  Mostly, though, passive does me fine!

I've had a 4001 in my life since mid-late 80s, and no plans to change that!  Congrats - beautiful bass, and it sounds like you made a sensible trade.

Oh wow!

17 hours ago, Jeff R said:

Speaking of horseshoe and toaster replacements, this is a newer one I recently upgraded for a client ...

Oh wow! How was the difference in sound?  There's a lot of "opinions" out there regarding the horseshoe style pickups. I think Lollar makes some, even though they don't feel the sound of the horseshoe is as compatible with modern bass rig setups.

I'm not Ric schooled enough to give a good sound assessment. I have a separate bass client who's much more savvy than I am, he's owned every 4000 series under the sun at one point, I'll ask him when I see him this coming week. The guy who owns the bass above is more a Beatles enthusiast/hobbyist/collector who plays his collection, not a tone aficianado or tonal difference expert necessarily. I can tell you he LOVED the visual transformation, and we HFC'er know how important "The Look" tends to be. :)

3 minutes ago, tommy p said:

I don't know how to tell the models apart, but I have a mid-70's Ric bass in JetGlo.  I always said if I ever bought a bass, that would be the only one I could think of I'd really want.

Mid-70s with triangle inlays is a 4001.

TI Flats installed, and this bass feels like home.  I am half tempted to have a local luthier make me a tort pickguard out of this really nice one-ply tort material he has, but I feel as though I should live with the white for a while.  Not a lot of examples out there to determine if I like the idea or not.

My guy came in today to drop off his Hofner for seasonal refreshing (!) and he said the reissue horseshoe pickup assembly in the Ric is darker than the modern stock unit. Not muddier darker, just more of a characteristic 60s less high end. He's still loving it.

Archived