Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Everyone should own...

bubs_42

Somehow, I’ve never owned one, but have had a couple loaners over the years.  Played this one at a gig last week and got the itch again...

833A4D8C-C185-4DB1-92B6-9D60D472E08E.jpeg

11 minutes ago, BoogieMKIIA said:

Never owned one but would like to. First one I saw was at Willcutt’s.  Cherry red, spruce top, harp tailpiece - beautiful.

That’s where I got my Pro Custom. Could’ve been the guitar I bought. Willcutt didn’t get a lot of those.

38 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

That’s where I got my Pro Custom. Could’ve been the guitar I bought. Willcutt didn’t get a lot of those.

I don't remember the year. It had just arrived at Bob was commenting on the smell if the lacquer as well as everything about it. 

9 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

A Newport! Not aCollings, not a PRs, Not a 335. Best Hamer EVER!

My gear buying embargo is lifted in January. If my 1st choice is not available then I will seek out a Newport based upon your endorsement...

10 hours ago, cmatthes said:

Somehow, I’ve never owned one, but have had a couple loaners over the years.  Played this one at a gig last week and got the itch again...

833A4D8C-C185-4DB1-92B6-9D60D472E08E.jpeg

I have that same strap on my SG Jr.  The same one Kim Shattuck used to use.  RIP.

1 hour ago, rugby1970 said:

I've owned two and sold them both. Great guitars but I wasn't happy with the pickups.

I've owned three with the same result.  The only one I miss was the plain Newport model.  The NewProbe and Newport90 I owned both reminded me of the really hot girl that just lays there during sex.

The original with PhatCats and Bigsby is my hands-down favorite.

16 hours ago, 0054 said:

I still have your old one, 5 plus years!!

I hated the phat catz, but love the G-Trons... they really give the guitar a lot of character.

My only issue with that guitar was the Bigsby. I was playing a very nice single cut semi hollow PRS this weekend.  I started talking to the owner of the singlecut about the Newport hanging on the wall, so I went over and picked it up and gave it to him. He played it, then ask me to play it so he could here it. I was instantly in love with it, they just react with and amp like no other guitar I have picked up. This is the first one I have played with Humbuckers, and I like it, but I so also love the Phat Cats. 

On 11/2/2019 at 6:46 PM, cynic said:

There's nothing wrong with owning the right Collings.

giwjcnlxqckostm6rklo.jpg

Everything but he price, side by side I don't think they are a better guitar. 

On 11/3/2019 at 10:42 AM, cmatthes said:

The original with PhatCats and Bigsby is my hands-down favorite.

Love the Phatcats, but that damn Bigsby! Might still have one if not for that. One of the biggest/best Hamer surprises (for me). The orange sparkle was too cool.

GHamerNewport.jpg

I have owned one with Bigsby and Fat Cat some years ago... I´ve sold it again. (to much Jazz/Rockabilly for me :-) )

Now I play one with Humbuckers and Stop Tailp. My absolute favourite guitar! 

I absolutely love my Orange Sparkle Newport until I plug it in. With Volume wide open, the pickups sound too bright and tinny and with just a slight roll back of the volume knob, the tone turns to mud with the gain seemingly cut in half. I need to break down and put some better pickups in it and possibly replace the pots with ones that have a better taper. 

Everyone should own... ONE!

But if you've got room, have one with Seth Lovers,

Add an orange sparky so you can swap pickups whenever you want.

Then get the one with 6 extra strings. It will really change your outlook on life.

Just don't get that fn' arthritis. It makes all of the above pretty stupid.

But on the good days that 12ver is just glorious!

On 11/3/2019 at 10:16 AM, cynic said:

I've owned three with the same result.  The only one I miss was the plain Newport model.  The NewProbe and Newport90 I owned both reminded me of the really hot girl that just lays there during sex.

Even the fabled Newport90!?!?!? I had your plain Newport. With the Filtertrons. It was awesome, but I have no idea where it went. It was a victim of GAS a long time ago. That is a huge regret. Have never even seen another Newport since. Would very much like another stab at one. Maybe a pro. Still unsure about Bigsby's..

Archived