Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Vintage 47 Amps?

Hbom

4 hours ago, crunchee said:

I've heard of them, but that's about it.  If I found an amp like this one, with two 6x9" speakers and a 4" tweeter, I'd want to know if it has an external speaker jack for more conventional outboard speakers:  

http://www.vintage47amps.com/Cowboy-Amp-Tonemaster/

If you need some spare 6 X 9s, I’ve got some Sparkys from my Nova and T/A. Vintage Sparkys from ‘79! Three-ways too!

5 hours ago, crunchee said:

I've heard of them, but that's about it.  If I found an amp like this one, with two 6x9" speakers and a 4" tweeter, I'd want to know if it has an external speaker jack for more conventional outboard speakers:  

http://www.vintage47amps.com/Cowboy-Amp-Tonemaster/

That's a good point but I think the 6"x9" and 4" would be part of the "charm" for this amp. I don't see a jack for an ext. speaker but a work around usually isn't too hard.

1 hour ago, 0054 said:

IT's a greasy bluesy, amp, it's the valco sound for sure.

They are Rola style 6 x 9 are supposed to sound awesome with this amp.

I do use the Vintage 47 Preamp Tube Signal Boosting Pedal to really push the amp.

They tend to be dark, so the boost really pushes volume in a great kind of way. My  only issue? I wish the amp woulda come with speed and intensity for the tremolo.

Thank you! That was what I was looking for. They seem to have a good reputation.

I may give the guy a call. He's pretty close and the price seems good. But I sure don't need another amp right now.

@RobB - still have my V47 Ric Supreme. Sounds a fair bit like an old '51 Fender Deluxe 5A3 I used to have, but with less sag and compression so it's tighter sounding than the Tweed.

Done a couple of mods to improve it over the time I've had it (6 yrs or thereabouts). As 0054 mentioned, the first thing I did to it was ditch the cheap sounding stock Weber alnico in favour of a Vox/Celestion Blue speaker - huge improvement right there in volume and tone. Because it sounded small and boxy in the stock cab, I fitted the amp chassis and speaker into one of my custom pine combo cab builds - bigger sounding and more resonant than the small birch ply cab but still in a decent grab'n'go size and weight. 

Here's a little lo-fi clip I recorded in the garage in the stock cab, Blue installed, straight in with no pedals/effects of any kind :

Decent prices too....I dig the Suitcase. I had an old Custom Kraft (Valco-made) Model 900 that sounded crazy good. I sold it to fund another amp. That was a mistake.

YOWZA! That Lo-fi clip sounds like pure rock and roll to me. I can hear the Blue adding some grit and chime. Love those speakers.

Archived