Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA: Schaller prices going up

Got this in an e-message this morning. For those of you into Schaller parts, now might be the time to buy.

"

c85dc991-2918-4c9a-ab37-3c6f5592bdad.jpg

We just received word that Schaller® prices will be going up a jaw dropping 40%. We highly recommend that you purchase ASAP before the prices increase and while supplies last.

We will never see these prices again!"

32 minutes ago, Hbom said:

Got this in an e-message this morning. For those of you into Schaller parts, now might be the time to buy.

c85dc991-2918-4c9a-ab37-3c6f5592bdad.jpg

We just received word that Schaller® prices will be going up a jaw dropping 40%. We highly recommend that you purchase ASAP before the prices increase and while supplies last.

We will never see these prices again!

Just put in an order for 2 each of the OFR and the Lockmeisters. Never can have too many Floyd Rose. :D

I just replaced the tuners on my archtop, so that was a close shave.  FWIW I saw some brand-new Schaller items (tuners, oddly enough) about 20% cheaper on Amazon than from Schaller's own web shop, that annoyed me a bit.    Maybe the Amazon sellers won't notice for a while or if they do they'll do the decent thing and not increase prices on their existing stocks.

36 minutes ago, Mr. Dave said:

FWIW I saw some brand-new Schaller items (tuners, oddly enough) about 20% cheaper on Amazon than from Schaller's own web shop, that annoyed me a bit.    Maybe the Amazon sellers won't notice for a while or if they do they'll do the decent thing and not increase prices on their existing stocks.

Amazon sellers will notice. If they're anything like other gear dealers, they get their Schaller stuff at or close to 50% off from retail which means they'll be forking out close to full retail once that cost increase takes effect.

Even when they're passing along 'savings', they're likely still making a buck, which is reasonable. I mean, they're in the business to make money.

57 minutes ago, Mr. Dave said:

I just replaced the tuners on my archtop, so that was a close shave.  FWIW I saw some brand-new Schaller items (tuners, oddly enough) about 20% cheaper on Amazon than from Schaller's own web shop, that annoyed me a bit.    Maybe the Amazon sellers won't notice for a while or if they do they'll do the decent thing and not increase prices on their existing stocks.

Probably just selling it slightly above cost.  Then again you never know.     There are lots of counterfeit items on amazon. 

5 hours ago, Mr. Dave said:

In order to insure my new tuner's posts were the right length, I had to buy them directly from Schaller -- local dealers couldn't give me any specs! 

5 hours ago, Ua D said:

Also didn’t the US just impose more Tariffs on a bunch of EU goods a couple of weeks ago?  I wouldn’t  be surprised if that’s the reason for the price increase. 

That’s what I was just about to say. I wouldn’t place the blame on Schaller. Blame someone in DC...

There's a few brands/manufacturers licensed to make FR trem systems and FR also manufacture them too, (also in Germany?)  Also I've noticed the 2 FU-Tone trem springs on my Lockmeister-equipped guitar are heavier or have more 'pull' in them than the 3 springs on my Chaparral.  I replaced the bridge on that but the springs are from the original FR system.  I prefer the weaker springs personally, for me at least I find it makes the trem easier to control.    On the subject of price increases, a 40% increase is indeed quite a leap, but my local supermarket doubled the price of Haagen-Dazs the first weekend in September when all the UK school summer holidays ended, dammit, how could they? I can't even blame Trump for that!

I'm seeing other areas of the web that are saying this increase is BS.  I'm not sure where the OP's info came from, but I bet it's from a source sitting on a heap of Schaller parts they're wanting to move.

"many thanks, yes, this information is not correct.
Please have a look at our webshop next year and you will see the same prices as now, definitely.
Best regards
Lars

Schaller GmbH

Dr. Lars Bünning
Geschäftsführender Gesellschafter
Managing Director – Owner"

4 hours ago, scottcald said:

I haven't seen the lockmeister in person.  Is there a difference between that and a Floyd?

Very little difference. Direct replacement for an OFR. Damn near equal to one as well. Schaller says certain aspects are superior: C45-steel ground plates and all studs, inserts and screws of  the LockMeister feature black-zinc and black-chrome finishes. 🙄 

On 11/7/2019 at 8:18 PM, diablo175 said:

Very little difference. Direct replacement for an OFR. Damn near equal to one as well. Schaller says certain aspects are superior: C45-steel ground plates and all studs, inserts and screws of  the LockMeister feature black-zinc and black-chrome finishes. 🙄 

Thanks, that's cool.  Black chrome is a cool look. 

On 11/7/2019 at 11:24 AM, Mr. Dave said:

Also I've noticed the 2 FU-Tone trem springs on my Lockmeister-equipped guitar are heavier or have more 'pull' in them than the 3 springs on my Chaparral.

FU-tone springs come in three different strengths. I prefer, "spongier", springs, too. I use Raw Vintage on all my trems, Strat and FR.

On 11/7/2019 at 3:36 PM, cynic said:

I'm seeing other areas of the web that are saying this increase is BS.  I'm not sure where the OP's info came from, but I bet it's from a source sitting on a heap of Schaller parts they're wanting to move.

"many thanks, yes, this information is not correct.
Please have a look at our webshop next year and you will see the same prices as now, definitely.
Best regards
Lars

Schaller GmbH

Dr. Lars Bünning
Geschäftsführender Gesellschafter
Managing Director – Owner"

Both may still be true if it’s the result of tariffs. Same prices from Schaller + tariffs imposed on US sellers

16 minutes ago, Sugartune said:

Both may still be true if it’s the result of tariffs. Same prices from Schaller + tariffs imposed on US sellers

I guess I shouldn't be shocked. Have to admit, I fell prey to it. Unfortunately for Stratosphere, I bought my 4 units elsewhere and didn't pay near what they charge. It's also interesting to note that STRATosphere doesn't sell OFRs- only the lic'd version, the Lockmeister and the Special. To that end, I'd be curious to know how this supposed increase in Schaller prices manifests in cost changes for the Orig. Floyd Rose. If it is tariffs, it should impact it, shouldn't it?

Archived