Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Mirage II gets some Gravelin rewinds

Travis

Never cared for the JB/59 combo in my Mirage II. I liked the 59 well enough, have had a ton of them in guitars over the years. But, I’ve always thought it was a bit boomy and loose in the neck when playing the lower strings on the higher frets. I’ve never liked the JB. 

LOVE the natural tarnish on the nickel covers so instead of yanking them for other pickups I sent them over to josh for a rewind. He gave me some options and I went with his suggestions for this guitar. An A4 magnet swap with the 59 rewind and a 10.4k hot PAF style for the JB in the bridge. 

All I can is....  wow...

seriously, if you don’t have a set of gravelins in at least one of your guitars then y’all need to get on it. This is my second guitar outfitted with Josh’s pickups and I’m already thinking about what I’ll have him wind for me next. 

Thanks, @JGravelin, you are a master of your craft. 

9F8AB644-1167-47DF-9096-C56BDABA64B7.jpeg

6496BACC-4CF7-4C5C-B61E-17BEE69EECA7.jpeg

30 minutes ago, bubs_42 said:

What no picture of the finished product?  Looking good though ;) 

D4A8D365-FB3B-4A08-99AE-A8979AA563CA.jpeg

That Koa top is gorgeous. I only recently found out about how tight the rules are regarding it's harvesting, wow, strict.  I don't get why Hamer chose that JB/'59 combination so often,  it's such a mismatch.  It's not so much that the 'JB' is a bad pickup, but I don't think it really belongs on a Mirage or other models like the Studio/Sunburst/Archtop/Special etc. and not paired up with a '59.  The JB is amongst SD's highest output pickups and would maybe be more suited to 'superstrats' and other pointier-looking things.  I've seen one or two custom-ordered Archtops for sale recently with '59s on the bridge as well as the neck, that likely works better but I've never actually heard the bridge version.

Archived