Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Et tu Reverb?

diablo175

Yeah, if there's something I'm interested in, and they have a Make Offer button, I'll generally offer 10% or maybe 15% lower, as that's what I see as reasonable.  I know everyone else has different parameters, but that's how I go.  I hate wasting my time or someone else's on haggling and griping about things.  If they don't want what I've offered, that's fine by me, I get it.  Too many folks who want something for nothing.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update:

To further illustrate the diminished intellectual capacity of the erstwhile buyer, after I initiated the refund process, I received a message from him asking where his shipping label was. I explained to him that it would be sent by Reverb. Then he immediately sent another asking where his refund was.  I had to explain to him that that was likely being held up until the item was shipped and acknowledged as received in good condition. Then I get another message last night, roughly 12 hours before the guitar landed here, demanding his refund. I again explained that I had already approved the refund and that Reverb would issue it. It was out of my hands. I went on to tersely advise him to direct all subsequent questions or issues to Reverb as I had no need or desire to communicate with him further. Then the real tip off- I got a very angry reply moments later (expletives, all caps, poorly spelled and punctuated, in something vaguely resembling English) where in he fell back on his early accusation that I intentionally sold him a damaged guitar, with huge cracks (not) and added that I couldn't be a shredder because the the strings were an inch off the board. Huh? Then it dawned on me: dumbass likely tuned it to E standard where as I had it set up for D#. Numbnuts must've cranked up the strings and pulled up the bridge in trying to get it to E std. I contemplated sharing that tidbit with him, emphasizing the noob (or dumbass) nature of that oversight but decided to adhere to my no further communications policy.   His parting shot in his last communique resorted to his earlier mantra of "I paid $2000  for a cracked guitar!" No, dumbass, you paid $1895 and that included shipping. You don't deserve such a fine instrument.

giphy.gif

36 minutes ago, RobB said:

This story makes me queasy. I have three, high dollar guitar sales planned and Jim’s recent Reverb experience doesn’t bode well. 

I shall have to think about this...

Yeah, I won't sell on Reverb or eBay so, that means I'm pretty much relegated to the shit show that is CL as well as the slightly less f-ed up FB Marketplace and of course, the stellar HFC.

10 hours ago, mrjamiam said:

So I'm guessing we'd have heard if there were any shenanigans or carelessness evident.  Were the meltdown-precipitating cracks very evident?

No shenanigans.  Only when you got up within 2 feet, in the right lighting and were specifically looking for them, could you see them.

IMG_0801.jpeg

30 minutes ago, MCChris said:

Grown men behaving this way. Flat-out embarrassing.

The behavior is not limited to guitar players.  Companies with overly generous customer service practices with regard to complaints have trained people to think they can demand anything they want.  Being a cry baby has its rewards. 

This whole episode reminds me of a klusterfuk transaction I had on eBay where I sold a bunch of freshly pulled JBL 075 and 077 bullet tweeters... shipped to a PO Box via eBay Global Shipping program, shortly after, the buyer wanted a full refund stating that I had replaced the OEM diaphragms with aftermarkets... luckily I had very good photos of the wax seals that were still intact and through a series of emails had him accidentally confess that he opened them up, thus revealing he tried to switch and return 😞

EBay representatives were monitoring the email and shut him down accordingly 😉

4 hours ago, Studio Custom said:

I could see how a novice might not understand the Eb -> E issue, and how it is magnified on floating bridge assemblies. 

This might be applicable had he not made a point of stating how he's been playing guitar for 30 years. Sure, he could be lying or maybe he's been playing nothing but guitars set up to E std. Still, it would have served us both well had he taken a different tack on this and asked about it instead of stupid shit like, "This is a USA?" (after he had bought it) 'Cause the ad didn't say it several times? 🙄

In the biz, people like that earn the title “DC”.  😉

I've had buyers remorse once for something that was not damaged, but was simply not to my liking. Know what I did? I took responsibility for the fact that I freely made the purchase, so I simply turned around and sold the guitar. And even if there were something like cracks in the paint, my philosophy is a lot like Seinfeld's: "Fruit is a gamble," he says as he refuses to return a melon. I can't stand complaining customers, so I just avoid being one myself. Buying online is a gamble, I acknowledge I've been warned, and so I live with my decisions. I'd have to see a lot of evidence that a seller is an intentional crook before I'd even consider returning something.

18 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

Yes, but not anything you could feel.  If you have seen similar lines in the finish around a bolt-on neck joint you would know what to look for. 

As insignificant as they are, I'd have listed/pictured them because I'd want to know they were there if I was buying it. It's really not that insidious.

4 minutes ago, crunchee said:

What's next, buyers returning 'relic'd' guitars because of finish 'damage'?

I always wondered about those sellers who list their factory relics as “mint”...

Archived