Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Et tu Reverb?

diablo175

Despite having many hassle-free transactions on Reverb, it was bound to happen-  I did business with one of those guys.

In hindsight, I am not surprised- there were indications this guy was going to be problem. This guy practically begged me to accept the 6 various low ball offers on the CS Charvel I recently sold. Or thought I sold. His rationales for offering the pittance sums were comical at best and annoying at worst.  My response each time was a polite, "no, sorry, I can't do that." Finally, he acquiesced. Then I got a number of borderline stupid questions after it was shipped that sent up red flags: "Is this a USA?"  "What's it tuned to?"  I suppose I should be grateful he didn't ask about how much it weighed.

Then came the message- he wanted a full refund because there were 2 hairline cracks on the neck. I'm shitting bricks at first, thinking that Fed Ex managed to drop kick and caber toss that carefully packed, form fitting hard shell case to cause an issue with the neck. But no, it was the all-too-common hairline finish cracks on the body, near the neck pocket. Cracks that were not there when it was boxed up. But the guitar traveled from NE PA to Texas and well, that stuff happens. So, I'm totally screwed because buyer only sees two cracks and doesn't care that they have zero impact on function and performance. Worst still, despite taking more than a dozen photos and even video from various angles, none show those two exact spots clearly so I have no documentation that the hairline cracks didn't exist before shipping.

Reverb's policy doesn't specifically address this particular issue but it does generally favor the buyer by stating I have to accept a return and refund money if item is damaged or not as advertised. Perhaps rightly so. Except this guitar was accurately represented in the ad and buyer knew it had a few minor cosmetic dings and scrapes.  Far from pristine and minty. And now the shitbag is crying the blues because of two harmless minuscule cracks. I suppose I should offer a slight, partial refund and see if that would placate him. But my sense of principle, if not stupid pride is standing in the way. The little shit will have gotten it at the ridiculous prices he initially offered.  As it is, I'm due to get dinged for return shipping charges.

Despite knowing what will likely be the outcome, I've plead my case to Reverb, vainly hoping that they might intercede on my behalf. Certainly, they have to know and can appreciate that hairline cracks can and do result during radical changes in temp and humidity on a 11 year old guitar? Yeah, that's gonna happen. 🙄

Grrrrrrr...

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ve had several bumps with Reverb buyers. Sounds like you found a looney tune with buyers remorse. (The guitar didn’t make him play like Steve Vai) 

Reverb can help you sometimes, they’ll even buy the guitar and sell it on their shop. You had pictures for the sale and didn’t descibe it as mint or excellent then you have a chance to get Reverbs help. It’s a pain in the ass when these guy’s pop up and do their thing. I know you haven’t offer it yet, but has the buyer asked to have the price discounted yet? That’s usually the next step. If he offers that you know you got a live one and the 2 times this kinda thing happened to me I discounted the guitar and moved on!! 

32 minutes ago, DeVai said:

Keep us posted on the outcome.

I'm afraid I already know the outcome. But will do...

16 minutes ago, Dutchman said:

I’ve had several bumps with Reverb buyers. Sounds like you found a looney tune with buyers remorse. (The guitar didn’t make him play like Steve Vai) 

Reverb can help you sometimes, they’ll even buy the guitar and sell it on their shop. You had pictures for the sale and didn’t descibe it as mint or excellent then you have a chance to get Reverbs help. It’s a pain in the ass when these guy’s pop up and do their thing. Has the buyer asked to have the price discounted yet? That’s usually the next step. If he offers that you know you got a live one and the 2 times this kinda thing happened to me I discounted the guitar and moved on!! 

Here's hoping Reverb does the right thing. Not that it matters, but I have excellent feedback on Reverb. Perhaps Reverb will take that into account. Buyer hasn't asked for a partial refund or a discount yet. He went right for the full amount. Maybe he's gambling on me being more pliable and accommodating if he indicates a willingness to nix the whole deal from the get-go.

Sounds like buyers remorse! There’s so many people doing that with online stores these day’s. The whole thing hinges on the “As Described”  you said it had cometic issues, a few bumps etc. I’m interested to see what Reverb does!!

Sorry to hear.    If someone makes me a lowball    I usually don’t counter.   Did it once. The guy later got his price by negotiating more after he got it.    I have this theory that if they are a pain in the ass beforehand it usually won’t get better if something goes wrong.   (This goes for sellers, kitchen cabinet dealers etc).  Low ballers assign a lower value in their head and it just seems their natural stance is win the transaction as opposed to letting both people win.    Fedex, once had a claim.  They suck.   I since then try to avoid anything that I cant pack bomb proof.     Good luck.   The times I’ve had reverb get on involved they were fair.   

52 minutes ago, DaveL said:

Sorry to hear.    If someone makes me a lowball    I usually don’t counter.   Did it once. The guy later got his price by negotiating more after he got it.    I have this theory that if they are a pain in the ass beforehand it usually won’t get better if something goes wrong.   (This goes for sellers, kitchen cabinet dealers etc).  Low ballers assign a lower value in their head and it just seems their natural stance is win the transaction as opposed to letting both people win.    Fedex, once had a claim.  They suck.   I since then try to avoid anything that I can pack bomb proof.     Good luck.   The times I’ve had reverb get on involved they were fair.   

I haven't heard back from Reverb nor have I heard from the asshole buyer. No news is good news on this end. :D

That completely sucks.  I’ve found the lowball offer back and forth people are the ones who expect the most for the least.   

At least it’s not eBay.  With the make offer function on eBay, multiple times I’ve accepted an offer, then the buyer cancels the damn transaction.   So now I have to relist.  It used to be the seller had to cancel once someone agreed to purchase.  I’ve started not using the make offer function on things. I just list at price And keep lowering weekly until it sells.  Saves me the hassle and usually I can avoid some of these d bags, since in their head they would never pay asking price even if it is a fair price.   

Reverb has a setting that will automatically reject any offer less than 60% of your ask.  I'd rather be able to enter a specific amount or percentage as the threshold but the 60% setting gets rid of the bulk of unreasonable offers.  On the less expensive stuff Im open to accepting some pretty low offers, but for most things over $1000 80% is about as low as I'll go on a good day.

I don't generally counter low-ball offers.  It's so much easier to click decline and be done with it.

I do wish Reverb would allow sellers to block specific buyers.  I've got several that apparently have me saved as a seller and routinely submit silly offers on everything I list, then I end up with a half dozen declined offers which might lead other buyers to infer I'm not reasonable.

17 hours ago, cynic said:

Reverb has a setting that will automatically reject any offer less than 60% of your ask.  I'd rather be able to enter a specific amount or percentage as the threshold but the 60% setting gets rid of the bulk of unreasonable offers.  On the less expensive stuff Im open to accepting some pretty low offers, but for most things over $1000 80% is about as low as I'll go on a good day.

I don't generally counter low-ball offers.  It's so much easier to click decline and be done with it.

I do wish Reverb would allow sellers to block specific buyers.  I've got several that apparently have me saved as a seller and routinely submit silly offers on everything I list, then I end up with a half dozen declined offers which might lead other buyers to infer I'm not reasonable.

To be fair, while I did respond initially to his first low ball offer, I then ignored/declined his next 3 or 4. He'd send these pleading message along with.  I felt as though I was dealing with a former nigh-psychotic girlfriend. Finally, he came back with an amount that was close to what I'd be willing to accept so I countered and after few back and forths, he acquiesced. Reminded me of an ex-GF who tossed my CDs out her car window during a rather crazed, high speed torrent of expletive-laced invectives. One hour later she was begging to come over and make up with me. We all know how that ends up. I'm certain this is not going to end with a session of psychotic, freaky make up sex. 🤣

It is as I suspected: Reverb sided with buyer, citing their policy that it can be returned if it arrives damaged or not as described.

Nothing left to do but gather up what's left of my pride and refund his $. I will not be selling on Reverb anymore so, it's the forums,  the clown show on Craigslist or market place on FB from here on in.

This sort of stuff infuriates me.   I think there needs to be recognition with custom instruments that lacquer cracks do indeed happen.  I had this before with a Cali sale. The buyer made a point of raising it but luckily recognised that there’s no way of dealing with it satisfactorily.

Has this new owner not accepted that he may be the cause himself if he opened the case too quickly on arrival? You read of people opening cases and witnessing cracking before their eyes. 

35 minutes ago, DBraz said:

This sort of stuff infuriates me.   I think there needs to be recognition with custom instruments that lacquer cracks do indeed happen.  I had this before with a Cali sale. The buyer made a point of raising it but luckily recognised that there’s no way of dealing with it satisfactorily.

Has this new owner not accepted that he may be the cause himself if he opened the case too quickly on arrival? You read of people opening cases and witnessing cracking before their eyes. 

The new, soon-to-be-former, owner wouldn't concede to that let alone be able to conceive of it. And Reverb's rather short-sighted policy supports him. The buyer has totally tipped his hand though, as soon as I initiated a full refund, he reached out and said he'd accept a partial refund. It's exactly as I thought; the little shit was just angling for his initial asking price. 

Now the question becomes: do I swallow my pride, give him a discount and cut my losses or tell him to go pound sand and try selling it elsewhere?  <sigh>

So do you have to send a shipping label? Or does Reverb ship it back and bill your account?

He’ll keep it for less money... I have had this happen twice on Reverb... I just paid them the partial refund and moved on. Maybe we should start a list of these con buyers!!

12 minutes ago, Dutchman said:

He’ll keep it for less money... I have had this happen twice on Reverb... I just paid them the partial refund and moved on.

Or tell him to lick your sack & that he doesn't deserve the guitar and just makeup your losses on the next go around~

As luck would have it, there are some interested parties on FB and I'm going to have it sent back and sell to the interested parties. Fuck him.

3 minutes ago, diablo175 said:

As luck would have it, there are some interested parties on FB and I'm going to have it sent back and sell to the interested parties. Fuck him.

Good for you!.. Life's too short to put up with such shenanigans 😆

26 minutes ago, diablo175 said:

This. All day long.

2 hours ago, diablo175 said:

Exactly, fuck that guy. He doesn’t deserve the guitar and he can eat a dick for pulling that shit. 

36 minutes ago, Travis said:

Exactly, fuck that guy. He doesn’t deserve the guitar and he can eat a dick for pulling that shit. 

Yes, Don't reward that behavior or it will continue.

Do not give him a partial refund. Get the guitar back and report his reduced offer "concession" and his previous multiple lowball offers to Reverb. Put it on them to police their flock.

Do not let him or them hold you, your guitar or your reputation hostage.

26 minutes ago, Jeff R said:

Do not give him a partial refund. Get the guitar back and report his reduced offer "concession" and his previous multiple lowball offers to Reverb. Put it on them to police their flock.

Do not let him or them hold you, your guitar or your reputation hostage.

Well said and even better still, essentially what I decided on anyway. ;)

Archived