Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Dean Markley Strings kaput?

tommy p

I've been using Dean Markley strings since the dawn of time.  About 2 years ago I ordered a bunch of sets from Sweetwater, but they went on backorder and literally months later someone from there called to say they didn't know when they would get more.  At the local GC, I watched as the inventory grew smaller and disappeared but the spot where DM strings were supposed to go remained - until today.  They've taken away the placeholders and expanded the offerings from other brands.  They don't have any and said they don't anticipate getting any more.

Anybody know what's happening?  Is Dean Markley out of the string business for good?

Interesting. According to post #2 here https://www.talkbass.com/threads/dean-markley-blue-steel-2676-unavailable.1375295/

their winding operation closed up awhile ago, they had ghost makers, and now they seem to be vaporware.

I'm more surprised that so many string makers (and guitar companies) survive for so long.

I used to use the blue steels some 25 years ago. Not sure why I ever switched. I remember liking them quite a bit. 

2 hours ago, 0054 said:

The cryogenics are great.

Yep, I used those...

2 hours ago, Travis said:

I used to use the blue steels some 25 years ago.

...and these, and Magnums.  Loved them all.

27 minutes ago, The Shark said:

What really sucks is when they stop making your deodorant or soap!

So true!  Been through that a few times with those products and others.

On 11/9/2019 at 9:43 AM, tommy p said:

I've been using Dean Markley strings since the dawn of time.  About 2 years ago I ordered a bunch of sets from Sweetwater, but they went on backorder and literally months later someone from there called to say they didn't know when they would get more.  At the local GC, I watched as the inventory grew smaller and disappeared but the spot where DM strings were supposed to go remained - until today.  They've taken away the placeholders and expanded the offerings from other brands.  They don't have any and said they don't anticipate getting any more.

Anybody know what's happening?  Is Dean Markley out of the string business for good?

Maybe juststrings.com stockpiled 'em, though they do have some gaps in their DM inventory:

I used them a long time ago,I'm Ernie Ball pretty much these days.................... .I also remember their amplifiers....................in fact I STILL have one.:rolleyes:70EAlm7.jpg

3 hours ago, ARM OF HAMER said:

I used them a long time ago,I'm Ernie Ball pretty much these days.................... .I also remember their amplifiers....................in fact I STILL have one.:rolleyes:70EAlm7.jpg

Hey, I still have my K-75 from 30-ish years ago. It was my first practice amp and it’s just been sitting unused for years. Looked at selling it once and I was only offered $50 for it. Decided to keep it for that cost. I’ve been tempted to rip out the electronics and convert it to a 1x12” extension cab...

79DF382F-6A6B-4F48-B3D8-07AB179493E0.jpeg

I remember when Pat (Travers) signed on with them.  He set up a couple heads and some extension cabs for a practice.  I tagged along with my buddy Chris and thought it sounded pretty good.  Pat could make anything sound good.  I never bought one, but I remember there were lots of them sold in Orlando because of Pat's endorsement.  

That's too bad.  Years back I came across D 'Addario 15/85 acoustic strings.  They eventually became hard to find.  I then found 15/85's made my Dean Markley.  At the moment and probably for the next 5 to 10 years i'm stocked up on 15/85's.  It will be interesting to see who is selling them when I do need to order them again.

.15s? Are you playing bridges?

Actually, I’m on Thomastik for years. They are into classic areas a lot. That’s having them sustain in the business for long I hope. I love them Sliders.

4 hours ago, The Shark said:

I remember when Pat (Travers) signed on with them.  He set up a couple heads and some extension cabs for a practice.  I tagged along with my buddy Chris and thought it sounded pretty good.  Pat could make anything sound good.  I never bought one, but I remember there were lots of them sold in Orlando because of Pat's endorsement.  

"Boom-Boom (Out Go the Light Gauges!)."

On 11/11/2019 at 2:46 AM, gorch said:

.15s? Are you playing bridges?

Actually, I’m on Thomastik for years. They are into classic areas a lot. That’s having them sustain in the business for long I hope. I love them Sliders.

15/85 refers to the bronze percentage in acoustic strings.

On 11/9/2019 at 7:10 PM, Tortious said:

Interesting. According to post #2 here https://www.talkbass.com/threads/dean-markley-blue-steel-2676-unavailable.1375295/

their winding operation closed up awhile ago, they had ghost makers, and now they seem to be vaporware.

I'm more surprised that so many string makers (and guitar companies) survive for so long.

Thanks for that.  There was a link for Apex strings in that thread.  They look promising.

On 11/10/2019 at 12:26 PM, Gino said:

Thomann still has them in stock:

https://www.thomannmusic.com/dean_markley.html

$6.40 per set, but $33 shipping to the US.  That's not going to work!

On 11/10/2019 at 12:34 PM, Hbom said:

Not online.  Only in store.  And as I said, my local GC has removed all the stock tags for DM strings.

On 11/10/2019 at 1:11 PM, JohnnyB said:

Maybe juststrings.com stockpiled 'em, though they do have some gaps in their DM inventory:

We have a winner!  I'm not sure if I'll get a few sets from these guys or go with Apex strings, which apparently was making DM's Cryongenics for them, and was started by former DM employees in a former DM facility.

Thanks for all the input!

Just amazes me how a company like that can just fall apart. They make strings. Everyone needs strings. If they were subcontracting out their work, making strings was definitely viable. Probably another case of mismanagement, or owners that just wanted to retire.

I think they made some fairly nice tube amps for a while.

On 11/10/2019 at 1:32 PM, ARM OF HAMER said:

Had as many as 5 at one time.  Two all tube signature series, three hybrids and a mini amp.  Still have one of the hybrids.  Like Travis, I couldn't get squat for it so I keep it, use it, dig it.

As for bass strings, who remembers D'Addario Reds (over 30 years ago)? They were copper-colored (thus the name, I guess), dirt cheap, felt nice, looked unique (particularly to other musicians who might not be familiar w/ 'em).

They only lasted thru a few sets but sounded magnificent, particularly if you played with a pick. You knew you were past due changin' 'em out when they started to tarnish, like a penny.

Also sounded great going direct into a board for recording, IMO. If they were still being made and I was still an active musician, I'd still be using them.

On 11/12/2019 at 7:00 PM, tommy p said:

$6.40 per set, but $33 shipping to the US.  That's not going to work!

Uups, I didn't see that - that's ridiculous, indeed! I was under the impression that Thomann has some kind of warehouse in the US - why else bother making online offerings to US customers??

It is weird that Dean Markley are quite active on their Facebook page, they even call the page Dean Markley Strings.....?

https://www.facebook.com/DeanMarkleyUSA/

Edit: it seems they just announced a Misfits/Doyle Artist Series String set, like only a month ago....? 

https://dshowmusic.com/dean-markley-doyle-artist-series-signature-strings/

17 hours ago, Willie G. Moseley said:

As for bass strings, who remembers D'Addario Reds (over 30 years ago)? They were copper-colored (thus the name, I guess), dirt cheap, felt nice, looked unique (particularly to other musicians who might not be familiar w/ 'em).

They only lasted thru a few sets but sounded magnificent, particularly if you played with a pick. You knew you were past due changin' 'em out when they started to tarnish, like a penny.

Also sounded great going direct into a board for recording, IMO. If they were still being made and I was still an active musician, I'd still be using them.

It could be possible that D'Addario could make a similar product with a different metal.  Was the copper color plated on the outer wrap wire, or was there a an alloy with a reddish tint used for that wire?  If it was just a copper coating there is a chance D'Addario is still making something similar to those old strings. 

I've been told by supposedly knowledgeable people that there are only a handful of string manufacturers

and that even some big name companies have their strings made for them under license.  Someone

told me that Fender strings are made by D'Adario, for example.  Apparently, D'Adario makes strings

for a lot of brands.  Anyone know if this is true?

Archived