Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Dean Markley Strings kaput?

tommy p

3 hours ago, SSII x 2 said:

I've been told by supposedly knowledgeable people that there are only a handful of string manufacturers

and that even some big name companies have their strings made for them under license.  Someone

told me that Fender strings are made by D'Adario, for example.  Apparently, D'Adario makes strings

for a lot of brands.  Anyone know if this is true?

I've actually heard that before too.  It reminds that I heard something like 90% of all HDTV screens used to be made by Samsung at one time.

That wouldn't surprise me.  Like contract breweries and such. They give their specifications and get the strings made.

The question is, even the ones that make their own, where do they start in the process? Metal is 'ductile', so it can be drawn out into thin strands. But, where do the string makers start the process? Do they actually make the wire, or do they just put the wires together and/or treat them? I don't know nearly enough about the business to even venture a guess.

I wonder where fretwire makers start out as well. I can probably find out where Jescar starts if I wanted to.

Archived