Jump to content
Hamer Fan Club Message Center
Sign in to follow this  
tommy p

Dean Markley Strings kaput?

Recommended Posts

I've been using Dean Markley strings since the dawn of time.  About 2 years ago I ordered a bunch of sets from Sweetwater, but they went on backorder and literally months later someone from there called to say they didn't know when they would get more.  At the local GC, I watched as the inventory grew smaller and disappeared but the spot where DM strings were supposed to go remained - until today.  They've taken away the placeholders and expanded the offerings from other brands.  They don't have any and said they don't anticipate getting any more.

Anybody know what's happening?  Is Dean Markley out of the string business for good?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://deanmarkley.com

Their website is in dire need of updating.   There is no contact info, address or dealers list. Not looking too good for DM. 

Edited by RobB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting. According to post #2 here https://www.talkbass.com/threads/dean-markley-blue-steel-2676-unavailable.1375295/

 their winding operation closed up awhile ago, they had ghost makers, and now they seem to be vaporware.

I'm more surprised that so many string makers (and guitar companies) survive for so long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The cryogenics are great.

I remember a couple years ago there was some backorder issues, but last year, no problem. I will order a few sets and see.

 

 

Edited by 0054

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to use the blue steels some 25 years ago. Not sure why I ever switched. I remember liking them quite a bit. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 0054 said:

The cryogenics are great.

Yep, I used those...

2 hours ago, Travis said:

I used to use the blue steels some 25 years ago.

...and these, and Magnums.  Loved them all.

27 minutes ago, The Shark said:

What really sucks is when they stop making your deodorant or soap!

So true!  Been through that a few times with those products and others.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like GC still has some. Clearance priced.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Guitar-Accessories.gc#pageName=collection-page&N=45758+16374&Nao=0&recsPerPage=30&postalCode=75027&radius=100&profileCountryCode=US&profileCurrencyCode=USD

And available on Reverb too.

Edited by Hbom
because I can

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2019 at 9:43 AM, tommy p said:

I've been using Dean Markley strings since the dawn of time.  About 2 years ago I ordered a bunch of sets from Sweetwater, but they went on backorder and literally months later someone from there called to say they didn't know when they would get more.  At the local GC, I watched as the inventory grew smaller and disappeared but the spot where DM strings were supposed to go remained - until today.  They've taken away the placeholders and expanded the offerings from other brands.  They don't have any and said they don't anticipate getting any more.

Anybody know what's happening?  Is Dean Markley out of the string business for good?

Maybe juststrings.com stockpiled 'em, though they do have some gaps in their DM inventory:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

                                                         I used them a long time ago,I'm Ernie Ball pretty much these days.................... .I also remember their amplifiers....................in fact I STILL have one.:rolleyes:70EAlm7.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ARM OF HAMER said:

                                                         I used them a long time ago,I'm Ernie Ball pretty much these days.................... .I also remember their amplifiers....................in fact I STILL have one.:rolleyes:70EAlm7.jpg

Hey, I still have my K-75 from 30-ish years ago. It was my first practice amp and it’s just been sitting unused for years. Looked at selling it once and I was only offered $50 for it. Decided to keep it for that cost. I’ve been tempted to rip out the electronics and convert it to a 1x12” extension cab...

79DF382F-6A6B-4F48-B3D8-07AB179493E0.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why bother ripping out the electronics?  Just bypass them and use the speaker.  You can have a spare amp on hand that way. 

Edited by Steve Haynie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember when Pat (Travers) signed on with them.  He set up a couple heads and some extension cabs for a practice.  I tagged along with my buddy Chris and thought it sounded pretty good.  Pat could make anything sound good.  I never bought one, but I remember there were lots of them sold in Orlando because of Pat's endorsement.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's too bad.  Years back I came across D 'Addario 15/85 acoustic strings.  They eventually became hard to find.  I then found 15/85's made my Dean Markley.  At the moment and probably for the next 5 to 10 years i'm stocked up on 15/85's.  It will be interesting to see who is selling them when I do need to order them again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

.15s? Are you playing bridges?

Actually, I’m on Thomastik for years. They are into classic areas a lot. That’s having them sustain in the business for long I hope. I love them Sliders.

Edited by gorch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Shark said:

I remember when Pat (Travers) signed on with them.  He set up a couple heads and some extension cabs for a practice.  I tagged along with my buddy Chris and thought it sounded pretty good.  Pat could make anything sound good.  I never bought one, but I remember there were lots of them sold in Orlando because of Pat's endorsement.  

"Boom-Boom (Out Go the Light Gauges!)."

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, ARM OF HAMER said:

                                                         I used them a long time ago,I'm Ernie Ball pretty much these days.................... .I also remember their amplifiers....................in fact I STILL have one.:rolleyes:70EAlm7.jpg

The only thing I ever won, a Dean Markley Amp. IT was rigged!

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2019 at 2:46 AM, gorch said:

.15s? Are you playing bridges?

Actually, I’m on Thomastik for years. They are into classic areas a lot. That’s having them sustain in the business for long I hope. I love them Sliders.

15/85 refers to the bronze percentage in acoustic strings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2019 at 7:10 PM, Tortious said:

Interesting. According to post #2 here https://www.talkbass.com/threads/dean-markley-blue-steel-2676-unavailable.1375295/

 their winding operation closed up awhile ago, they had ghost makers, and now they seem to be vaporware.

I'm more surprised that so many string makers (and guitar companies) survive for so long.

Thanks for that.  There was a link for Apex strings in that thread.  They look promising.

 

 

On 11/10/2019 at 12:26 PM, Gino said:

Thomann still has them in stock:

https://www.thomannmusic.com/dean_markley.html

$6.40 per set, but $33 shipping to the US.  That's not going to work!

 

On 11/10/2019 at 12:34 PM, Hbom said:

Not online.  Only in store.  And as I said, my local GC has removed all the stock tags for DM strings.

 

On 11/10/2019 at 1:11 PM, JohnnyB said:

Maybe juststrings.com stockpiled 'em, though they do have some gaps in their DM inventory:

We have a winner!  I'm not sure if I'll get a few sets from these guys or go with Apex strings, which apparently was making DM's Cryongenics for them, and was started by former DM employees in a former DM facility.

 

 

Thanks for all the input!

Edited by tommy p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just amazes me how a company like that can just fall apart. They make strings. Everyone needs strings. If they were subcontracting out their work, making strings was definitely viable. Probably another case of mismanagement, or owners that just wanted to retire.

I think they made some fairly nice tube amps for a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2019 at 1:32 PM, ARM OF HAMER said:

                                                         I used them a long time ago,I'm Ernie Ball pretty much these days.................... .I also remember their amplifiers....................in fact I STILL have one.:rolleyes:70EAlm7.jpg

Had as many as 5 at one time.  Two all tube signature series, three hybrids and a mini amp.  Still have one of the hybrids.  Like Travis, I couldn't get squat for it so I keep it, use it, dig it.

 

Edited by tomteriffic
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As for bass strings, who remembers D'Addario Reds (over 30 years ago)? They were copper-colored (thus the name, I guess), dirt cheap, felt nice, looked unique (particularly to other musicians who might not be familiar w/ 'em).

They only lasted thru a few sets but sounded magnificent, particularly if you played with a pick. You knew you were past due changin' 'em out when they started to tarnish, like a penny.

Also sounded great going direct into a board for recording, IMO. If they were still being made and I was still an active musician, I'd still be using them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2019 at 7:00 PM, tommy p said:

$6.40 per set, but $33 shipping to the US.  That's not going to work!

Uups, I didn't see that - that's ridiculous, indeed! I was under the impression that Thomann has some kind of warehouse in the US - why else bother making online offerings to US customers??

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is weird that Dean Markley are quite active on their Facebook page, they even call the page Dean Markley Strings.....?

  https://www.facebook.com/DeanMarkleyUSA/

 

Edit: it seems they just announced a Misfits/Doyle Artist Series String set, like only a month ago....? 

https://dshowmusic.com/dean-markley-doyle-artist-series-signature-strings/

Edited by Disturber

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...