Hamer Fan Club Message Center
Sign in to follow this  
tommy p

Dean Markley Strings kaput?

17 hours ago, Willie G. Moseley said:

As for bass strings, who remembers D'Addario Reds (over 30 years ago)? They were copper-colored (thus the name, I guess), dirt cheap, felt nice, looked unique (particularly to other musicians who might not be familiar w/ 'em).

They only lasted thru a few sets but sounded magnificent, particularly if you played with a pick. You knew you were past due changin' 'em out when they started to tarnish, like a penny.

Also sounded great going direct into a board for recording, IMO. If they were still being made and I was still an active musician, I'd still be using them.

It could be possible that D'Addario could make a similar product with a different metal.  Was the copper color plated on the outer wrap wire, or was there a an alloy with a reddish tint used for that wire?  If it was just a copper coating there is a chance D'Addario is still making something similar to those old strings. 

I've been told by supposedly knowledgeable people that there are only a handful of string manufacturers

and that even some big name companies have their strings made for them under license.  Someone

told me that Fender strings are made by D'Adario, for example.  Apparently, D'Adario makes strings

for a lot of brands.  Anyone know if this is true?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SSII x 2 said:

I've been told by supposedly knowledgeable people that there are only a handful of string manufacturers

and that even some big name companies have their strings made for them under license.  Someone

told me that Fender strings are made by D'Adario, for example.  Apparently, D'Adario makes strings

for a lot of brands.  Anyone know if this is true?

I've actually heard that before too.  It reminds that I heard something like 90% of all HDTV screens used to be made by Samsung at one time.

That wouldn't surprise me.  Like contract breweries and such. They give their specifications and get the strings made.

The question is, even the ones that make their own, where do they start in the process? Metal is 'ductile', so it can be drawn out into thin strands. But, where do the string makers start the process? Do they actually make the wire, or do they just put the wires together and/or treat them? I don't know nearly enough about the business to even venture a guess.

I wonder where fretwire makers start out as well. I can probably find out where Jescar starts if I wanted to.

When I toured Ernie Ball we were forbidden to take photos in that part of the factory.  I recall seeing a lot of lathes for wrapping strings, but do not recall seeing anything drawing wire to size.