Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Mirage I on the workbench

Travis

Well, technically it’s on the island in my kitchen. Best lighting in the house, close proximity to outlets for soldering irons and the beer fridge is nearby. 

Polished the frets, oiled the fretboard and yanked the pickups. Talking to Josh about what we want to do with this one. Stay tuned...

D4DD7930-583A-464D-B8EF-16D031542DEE.jpeg

7 hours ago, spanky said:

I remember that mirage and it’s actually the inspiration for what I’ve been thinking. I asked Josh how close to a P90 he could get sticking with a single coil size. He said he could get some single coils done up with a p90 vibe. That’s where I’m leaning.

this mirage was my very first Hamer, a ‘94 bought new in January ‘95 for me by my dad. I can’t bring myself to route it. After I pick up another mirage maple top to complete my trilogy (since I foolishly sold an insanely figured maple top years ago) I might look for another Mirage I to mod heavily...

16 hours ago, Travis said:

I remember that mirage and it’s actually the inspiration for what I’ve been thinking. I asked Josh how close to a P90 he could get sticking with a single coil size. He said he could get some single coils done up with a p90 vibe. That’s where I’m leaning.

this mirage was my very first Hamer, a ‘94 bought new in January ‘95 for me by my dad. I can’t bring myself to route it. After I pick up another mirage maple top to complete my trilogy (since I foolishly sold an insanely figured maple top years ago) I might look for another Mirage I to mod heavily...

My first Hamer ~ and still my #1 axe ~ is a Mirage I.  I did end up having mine modded for a full sized humbucker in the bridge after a few years, and while I don't regret that decision and still love the guitar dearly, I do sometimes wonder "what if" I'd gone in the other direction and put three traditional single coils in there.  And I do remember, probably ten years ago now, going down an internet rabbit hole and discovering this company that (allegedly) made single-coil sized P-90s, and I really wondered what my Mirage would have sounded like with those.

Will be very curious to see ~ and hear ~ what y'all end up doing with this one!

• 2 weeks later...

Installed!

I asked Josh to get the single coils as close to P90's as you can get without using the larger housing and routing the guitar. 

Bridge is 10k and hot. Got the power of a humbucker with a bit more midrange. Neck is 8k and middle is 6.4k, positions 2 & 4 are noise cancelling. The stock blower switch is now a kill switch. We’ll see if I decide to wire it up as a blower again or not.  Kinda cool to do some Randy Rhoads’ style toggling...

Will need to mess with the pickup height some, but it sounds really good so far. 

Thanks, @JGravelin, another grand slam!

5ECCBAC6-F75A-4DAC-B124-C0D5FD7FD6D8.jpeg

B0572B4D-DAD5-4F41-9D28-83873BD3C0FC.jpeg

Archived