Hamer Fan Club Message Center

P bass pickup in a Cruise bass 2nd gen?

Jakeboy

Question

So does anyone know (before I simply pull the guard and check)if the 2nd gen Cruisebass is routed for a p bass pickup under the pickguard? If it is, I’ll have to try it as this is my only bass and if I can get j and p sounds that would be awesome. No biggie if not cause it plays and sounds incredible as is.

8 answers to this question

If you want a P and a J in a Hamer bass, get a 1st Gen Cruisebass.  Blitz basses had them, too.

Edited to add:  Also, I believe 4-string Hamer Chaparral basses had a P-style PU in the neck position, and a bass HB in the bridge position...though by design, a P-Bass PU is humbucking already.  

Thanks everyone! I love the bass the way it is and don’t think I wanna have it routed.I have a vintage wound set of Rumpel Js coming....

On 11/13/2019 at 1:59 AM, crunchee said:

If you want a P and a J in a Hamer bass, get a 1st Gen Cruisebass.  Blitz basses had them, too.

Edited to add:  Also, I believe 4-string Hamer Chaparral basses had a P-style PU in the neck position, and a bass HB in the bridge position...though by design, a P-Bass PU is humbucking already.  

The difference in the wood and neck joints is not going to be the same as a 2nd Gen Cruisebass.  There will be a big difference in the tone of each type of bass before getting plugged in.  . 

Archived