Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Television

mudshark

Marquee Moon is a desert island album for me. Those guys blew my mind in the '70's - loved the 2 guitar interplay that Television used in their arrangements (Wishbone Ash also). 

Reminds me of a little anecdote concerning this album:  After our son set up a really kickass little vintage stereo system for vinyl, I set about hitting up any/all retail outlets looking for some  classic vinyl for him in decent condition at his request. One day I was pawing thru the usual dreck at our local vintage vinyl shop and I came across a copy of Marquee Moon in almost mint condition and a copy of The Yes Album in good condition.  He'd heard the latter a few times before, but had never sampled anything by Television in spite of my constant jabbering about how great they were back in the day. He absolutely loved it, still does and it's the one album he always spins for his friends when they come over as most of them have never even heard of the band, let alone actually listened to them on a decent system.

I have Marquee Moon somewhere in storage.  Luckily, I can just dial it up on YouTube on the iPhone.  

I really think that album was the zenith of what they did.  The songs and the mix are just so damn perfect.  I didn't bond with any of the other albums.  I remember thinking that paying whatever I paid wasn't worth just two or three good songs.  But Marquee Moon...

A famous now sadly deceased English DJ called John Peel had a late night spot on BBC radio for many years where he'd play real music instead of the commercial trash pop music of the day that would be played by other DJs earlier on.  Anyhow I remember hearing Television a few times on his show around '77-'79.  At that age I had a tiny little radio that I had to listen to at minimal volume in case I woke my parents and incurred their wrath. I got some of my first tastes of proper music because of 'Peely' during the punk era, he'd play a lot of stuff that was a little off the beaten track, introducing them in his characteristic monotone voice. Some bands/artists who went on to be big names had some of their first real exposure on his show.  Sometimes a word or a phrase, or part of a song or a particular smell or some other small stimulus can trigger the release of a larger bunch of memories that have been stored away in some deep place of the long-term memory and seeing the name of this band did that for me after I'd seen the title of this thread a few times, thanks.

Archived