Jump to content
Hamer Fan Club Message Center
Sign in to follow this  
diablo175

INGD- O'Connor Maple Cali

Recommended Posts

Imminent New Guitar Day:

Rare-ish '89 O'Connor marble finish with maple neck. Even without the reversed headstock and boomers, just had to have it!  :D

And no I will NOT be modding it. I'm just gonna have to deal with the confounded blade-style switch. The Hamer-stamped Floyd is not original so, I'll put a new Schaller on there until I can secure a black Hamer stamped one. (if anyone has a proper black one, in very good condition, and is willing to part with it, pm me)

 

 

 

Screen Shot 2019-11-13 at 10.13.12 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-13 at 11.13.27 AM.png

Edited by diablo175
  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dave Scepter said:

Dibs! 😆

You are WAY too late on that. ;)

  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, diablo175 said:

You are WAY too late on that. ;)

That's okay as I really don't have any money anyways... It was just my way of saying that you have a really cool guitar😉

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That Sir is an absolutely brilliant find.

An O’Connor Cali and a maple board?  I reckon that’s a very rare Hamer.

Looks fantastic.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The maple fretboard makes me want to try that Californian.  Hopefully, you end up keeping this one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

The maple fretboard makes me want to try that Californian.  Hopefully, you end up keeping this one. 

The marble finish is stellar but the maple board sold me on it. That wood gave me wood. 🤣

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, diablo175 said:

That wood gave me wood. 🤣

I believe I speak for the entire group when I say, thank you for sharing.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Studio Custom said:

I believe I speak for the entire group when I say, thank you for sharing.  

Most on here understand the context in which it's used (hell, may even have been there at some point) and know to regard it accordingly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is an incredible rock machine!! Congrat’s!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Dave Scepter said:

That's okay as I really don't have any money anyways... It was just my way of saying that you have a really cool guitar😉

Yep, I refer to that as "broke guy dibs".

Certainly not just a tire kicking sixteen year old wasting your time or B.S.ing, but still toy broke and pondering the pro's and con's of selling off a kidney.  Somewhere approaching that scenario.

But dayuum!   Thankfully the dibs line for this BAMF already sounds pretty deep - so my kidney is safe (for now).

Edited by Boomerang~Junkie
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like this is a pinnacle sort of guitar... can there be any such GAS left in the tank after this exceptionally awesome acquisition?

I am elated that you picked this up J... couldn’t have gone to a better dude!!

Rock out my brother!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty much a holy grail candidate right there. As Jim pointed out, it is screaming for a proper Floyd in black finish. 

BTW, I've seen a couple of mid/late '80s Roscoe shredders pop up on CL recently, and it occurred to me that like Hamer's Cali, Chap, Centaura, and Diablo, those Roscoes--many of which had incredible custom finishes--were highly underrated top-shelf superstrats.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, zenmindbeginner said:

I feel like this is a pinnacle sort of guitar... can there be any such GAS left in the tank after this exceptionally awesome acquisition?

I am elated that you picked this up J... couldn’t have gone to a better dude!!

Rock out my brother!!

Would that I could play it as well as you, Zen! Thank you for the kind words, brother! 

Fingers crossed it has the mojo in addition to the stunningly good looks and features!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOVE that maple board!  Good on you, sir. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember the days when I first joined the HFC, Jim. Back then you seemed to hate maple boards or anything without a reverse headstock. These days you seem to be in love with maple, and are willing to accept a guitar without boomers, without a reverse headstock, AND with a blade switch, not to mention you're not only NOT modding this guitar but are looking for a period correct Floyd. What the heck happened to you? Did you go through an intervention? Did you see a burning bush? Did you fall asleep next to a very large alien pod and wake up a different person? 

In any case, congrats on an authentic Hamer maple-boarded Cali. You now belong to an elite group. If I ever meet you in person, I'll show you our secret handshake and present you with an official decoder ring which doubles as a guitar pick and nose-hair trimmer. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I need to add, I just looked up my first post here in 2013 where I showed my maple-board Cali. After someone called dibs and speculated that Jim may have beat him, this was Jim's response, and I quote: 

"LOL- All yours, Steve. I'm a reverse head stock and boomers-only type. That and with a few exceptions, I'm not much of a maple neck/board person. However, my guess is that FGJ isn't going to be giving that up any time soon. ;)"

I wanted to share that to provide context to my previous comment.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jim, I pm'd you about the black Floyd...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, FGJ said:

I remember the days when I first joined the HFC, Jim. Back then you seemed to hate maple boards or anything without a reverse headstock. These days you seem to be in love with maple, and are willing to accept a guitar without boomers, without a reverse headstock, AND with a blade switch, not to mention you're not only NOT modding this guitar but are looking for a period correct Floyd. What the heck happened to you? Did you go through an intervention? Did you see a burning bush? Did you fall asleep next to a very large alien pod and wake up a different person? 

In any case, congrats on an authentic Hamer maple-boarded Cali. You now belong to an elite group. If I ever meet you in person, I'll show you our secret handshake and present you with an official decoder ring which doubles as a guitar pick and nose-hair trimmer. 

 

3 minutes ago, FGJ said:

I need to add, I just looked up my first post here in 2013 where I showed my maple-board Cali. After someone called dibs and speculated that Jim may have beat him, this was Jim's response, and I quote: 

"LOL- All yours, Steve. I'm a reverse head stock and boomers-only type. That and with a few exceptions, I'm not much of a maple neck/board person. However, my guess is that FGJ isn't going to be giving that up any time soon. ;)"

I wanted to share that to provide context to my previous comment.

Yup. Funny how some things change. I still stand firm on my preference for reversed headstocks but obviously I've softened somewhat on maple boards. Actually, reversed my stance as I pretty much favor them to ebony by the tiniest of fractions. Don't expect the same treatment  for blade switches though, I tolerate them only when there is no other viable option. ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, diablo175 said:

 

Yup. Funny how some things change. I still stand firm on my preference for reversed headstocks but obviously I've softened somewhat on maple boards. Actually, reversed my stance as I pretty much favor them to ebony by the tiniest of fractions. Don't expect the same treatment  for blade switches though, I tolerate them only when there is no other viable option. ;)

If you do not need the two pickups on simultaneously sound, use a push/push pot on the volume to serve as the pickup selector.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Studio Custom said:

If you do not need the two pickups on simultaneously sound, use a push/push pot on the volume to serve as the pickup selector.  

That seems like a reasonable alternative to my usual approach of just drilling a hole for a toggle switch but... tried them for coil splitting/tapping and did not care for. Dislike those even more than blade switches. Besides, I do use a middle setting (2 p'ups on) now and if an ax is a keeper, I typically drop in a momentary kill switch/volume pot which would preclude the use of a push pull.

Edited by diablo175
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...