Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Stupid Deal of the Day--Quilter

Pretty sure this is discontinued in favor of a newer and much more expensive "mini-head". But this is a pretty good value if you need something small, powerful and flexible.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid?source=3TP5DNB&dtm_em=90390f667c27aa933f79c6d600956a56

4 hours ago, django49 said:

Pretty sure this is discontinued in favor of a newer and much more expensive "mini-head". But this is a pretty good value if you need something small, powerful and flexible.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid?source=3TP5DNB&dtm_em=90390f667c27aa933f79c6d600956a56

Gone

I might have bought one for that price.  I still own an Crate Power Block which does basically the same thing (Less Features) and has Direct Out.  We definitely live in the age of wonderful guitar gadgets.  Something I'd be more interested in is something along the lines of the Seymour Duncan Diamond Head, and more specifically the Strymon Iridium.

I bought a DV Mark 50W solid state head a while ago. It sounded good on Youtube, etc., but when I tried it out at home, it didn't have the "punch" I was looking for. So back it went; I don't know if the Quilter would be any different or not.

1 hour ago, dhuber said:

I might have bought one for that price.  I still own an Crate Power Block which does basically the same thing (Less Features) and has Direct Out.  We definitely live in the age of wonderful guitar gadgets.  Something I'd be more interested in is something along the lines of the Seymour Duncan Diamond Head, and more specifically the Strymon Iridium.

From the demos on line, I think the Iridium paired to either a Power Block or pretty much any of the Quilters "minis" (I think the just released 202 version would be even better) would give a great all in one setup. Stick both on a small pedal board and tote along a small speaker cabinet (with ability to go direct). Gig bag on your back. "Amp" in your hand. One trip in and out. With or without going direct.

FWIW, I did multiple gigs with a somewhat similar rig......Ethos OD Amp and Flint pedal and a 1 x 12. And a somewhat similar rig with an Ethos (non amp) and small Quilter head with reverb.

I PREFER to use an actual tube amp, but the net result, for an audience, is pretty much undetectable. It is easy and it works.

1 minute ago, Thundersteel said:

I bought a DV Mark 50W solid state head a while ago. It sounded good on Youtube, etc., but when I tried it out at home, it didn't have the "punch" I was looking for. So back it went; I don't know if the Quilter would be any different or not.

No direct experience, but Pat Quilter is the "Q" in QSC.  I tried out some of his earlier amps and they sounded very good indeed, especially in the clean to slightly furry area.

I've got a Quilter Aviator combo (100w) with the 8" Celestion speaker and it weighs 20 lbs and the clean channel sounds great with pedals and I love it for easy jam sessions and quick rehearsals.  Does it sound as good as my Boogie, Vox, or H&K tube amps?  Not quite but it definitely has punch and definition and it weighs half of the other amps/cabs.  The Celestion 8" speaker also stuns me with it's clarity and full-range response for such as small speaker.  It's a great solution for it's portability and overall tone when you don't feel like dragging the larger gear around with you.  I read several reviews before purchasing it too and have been happy with it now for over 2 years.  YMMV... 

Quilter came in today, just sat with it for 20 minutes plugged into a 2 x 10 pine cabinet I had built with Eminence Legends in it.

Played my Suhr Classic T with a mini Humbucker in the neck.

Sounds surprisingly good for the $179 I paid for it. I was happy to discover that the tone controls are not at fixed detents, they move smoothly from setting to setting.

The "Lead" voice is crap, but the others are useable and once I put a few dirt pedals in front and a reverb pedal in the loop, this would be useable as an emergency backup for gigs.

Not such a Stupid Deal if you ask me!

uBWW2PK.jpg?1

Mine showed up today.

Power stuff is bigger than the pedal/ power amp.

Plugged it into a 4x12

guitar>dirt box> delay> quilter> cab.

Not Bad!

in a pinch, you can have a tago the way you want and just plug into a cab.

It can get loud. controls are good, not "that" sterile in tone.

With the right pre amp in front....

I got two to make a on the cheap wet dry wet rig ;)

Archived