Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Try This At Home

The 4-5 years of piano lessons I took prior to picking up the guitar were focused almost entirely on my Scott Joplin obsession and learning increasingly difficult arrangements of The Entertainer and Mapleleaf Rag. No one in my family ever needs to hear them again (or Für Elise)! But I need to find a transcription of this now!

42 minutes ago, G Man said:

His TONE!!!  How is he being amplified?  I don't see a wire or a mic, must be some sort of onboard wireless?  Whatever it is, it works really well.

You can see an attached cable & an amp for about the first 35 seconds... 🙂

As far as talent goes, I've got his attire down to a 'T'...  😜

I saw Alex DeGrassi at a small music store concert in Norfolk many, many yarin ago.

He told a joke.

"How many guitarists does it take to change a lightbulb?"

"Six" was his answer.

"One to do it. Five to sit around and say, "I can do that.""

1 hour ago, JGale said:

"Six" was his answer.

I've heard it told with drummers, which adds a little more something, IMHO.

3 hours ago, JGale said:

I saw Alex DeGrassi at a small music store concert in Norfolk many, many yarin ago.

He told a joke.

"Six" was his answer.

How many bass players does it take to change a light bulb?

none. The keyboard player can do it with his left hand...

22 hours ago, Travis said:

How many bass players does it take to change a light bulb?

none. The keyboard player can do it with his left hand...

My favorite version of this joke is...

How many tough guys does it take to change a light bulb?

None - tough guys aren't afraid of the dark.

37 minutes ago, alantig said:

My favorite version of this joke is...

How many tough guys does it take to change a light bulb?

None - tough guys aren't afraid of the dark.

I like this one, for sports fans..this one is hockey themed..

How many Montreal Canadiens fans does it take to change a lightbulb?

1 - all the rest just sit around and talk about how good the old lightlbulb used to be...

My mom had The Sting soundtrack when I was growing up and I must have listened to it 1,000 times.  Something about that music just gets to me.  Dixieland jazz does it too.  Watching that second video I realize if I lived 100 more years, I still wouldn't be able to play like that.  Humbling for sure.

The first time I saw Tommy, he talked about how people ask him how to fingerpick like he does, so he explained a bit about Travis picking, and he said if you wanted to play like he does, get a thumbpick and work on keeping the bass steady.  He played a solid quarter-note bass line and said that was the key, just nail that solid bass line, "then move the rest of your fingers around really fast."

On 11/19/2019 at 7:45 AM, alantig said:

The first time I saw Tommy, he talked about how people ask him how to fingerpick like he does, so he explained a bit about Travis picking, and he said if you wanted to play like he does, get a thumbpick and work on keeping the bass steady.  He played a solid quarter-note bass line and said that was the key, just nail that solid bass line, "then move the rest of your fingers around really fast."

Was that at one of the Stevensville clinics?  I recall hearing that same advice from him!

On 11/16/2019 at 10:59 AM, joshoowah said:

But I need to find a transcription of this now!

I have one somewhere. I used to play this several years ago. I'll see if I can find it, it's a great transcription, to the exact arrangement he's playing. I have tons of magazines spanning 40 years... it may take a while, but I'll look in my spare time 😉 

9 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

I have one somewhere. I used to play this several years ago. I'll see if I can find it, it's a great transcription, to the exact arrangement he's playing. I have tons of magazines spanning 40 years... it may take a while, but I'll look in my spare time 😉 

That’s really cool! I’d love to see that!

Archived