Jump to content
Hamer Fan Club Message Center
Steve Haynie

Try This At Home

Recommended Posts

Well, I  do use the same kind of thumbpick ...

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 4-5 years of piano lessons I took prior to picking up the guitar were focused almost entirely on my Scott Joplin obsession and learning increasingly difficult arrangements of The Entertainer and Mapleleaf Rag. No one in my family ever needs to hear them again (or Für Elise)! But I need to find a transcription of this now!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His TONE!!!  How is he being amplified?  I don't see a wire or a mic, must be some sort of onboard wireless?  Whatever it is, it works really well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, G Man said:

His TONE!!!  How is he being amplified?  I don't see a wire or a mic, must be some sort of onboard wireless?  Whatever it is, it works really well.

You can see an attached cable & an amp for about the first 35 seconds... 🙂

As far as talent goes, I've got his attire down to a 'T'...  😜

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can do the sitting there part.  

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I could do the sitting part, too. I just couldn't remember where I was.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kizanski said:

I can do the sitting there part.  

With the best of the them...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tommy's just fantastic.  When I saw him sitting there, I knew it would be good.  He's coming to Orlando in February and I'm not going to miss it this time.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw Alex DeGrassi at a small music store concert in Norfolk many, many yarin ago.

He told a joke.

"How many guitarists does it take to change a lightbulb?"

 

"Six" was his answer.

"One to do it. Five to sit around and say, "I can do that.""

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JGale said:

"How many guitarists does it take to change a lightbulb?"

 

"Six" was his answer.

"One to do it. Five to sit around and say, "I can do that.""

I've heard it told with drummers, which adds a little more something, IMHO.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JGale said:

I saw Alex DeGrassi at a small music store concert in Norfolk many, many yarin ago.

He told a joke.

"How many guitarists does it take to change a lightbulb?"

 

"Six" was his answer.

"One to do it. Five to sit around and say, "I can do that.""

How many bass players does it take to change a light bulb?

 

none. The keyboard player can do it with his left hand...

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Travis said:

How many bass players does it take to change a light bulb?

 

none. The keyboard player can do it with his left hand...

My favorite version of this joke is...

How many tough guys does it take to change a light bulb?

None - tough guys aren't afraid of the dark.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, alantig said:

My favorite version of this joke is...

How many tough guys does it take to change a light bulb?

None - tough guys aren't afraid of the dark.

I like this one, for sports fans..this one is hockey themed..

How many Montreal Canadiens fans does it take to change a lightbulb?

1 - all the rest just sit around and talk about how good the old lightlbulb used to be...

Edited by Sugartune
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This isn't as hard as you might think - but what's particularly exceptional is his expressiveness and musicality as well as his clean execution... and the fact that he doesn't rush it. Really really good.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My mom had The Sting soundtrack when I was growing up and I must have listened to it 1,000 times.  Something about that music just gets to me.  Dixieland jazz does it too.  Watching that second video I realize if I lived 100 more years, I still wouldn't be able to play like that.  Humbling for sure.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The first time I saw Tommy, he talked about how people ask him how to fingerpick like he does, so he explained a bit about Travis picking, and he said if you wanted to play like he does, get a thumbpick and work on keeping the bass steady.  He played a solid quarter-note bass line and said that was the key, just nail that solid bass line, "then move the rest of your fingers around really fast."

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2019 at 7:45 AM, alantig said:

The first time I saw Tommy, he talked about how people ask him how to fingerpick like he does, so he explained a bit about Travis picking, and he said if you wanted to play like he does, get a thumbpick and work on keeping the bass steady.  He played a solid quarter-note bass line and said that was the key, just nail that solid bass line, "then move the rest of your fingers around really fast."

Was that at one of the Stevensville clinics?  I recall hearing that same advice from him!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2019 at 10:59 AM, joshoowah said:

But I need to find a transcription of this now!

I have one somewhere. I used to play this several years ago. I'll see if I can find it, it's a great transcription, to the exact arrangement he's playing. I have tons of magazines spanning 40 years... it may take a while, but I'll look in my spare time 😉 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2019 at 2:06 PM, G Man said:

His TONE!!!  How is he being amplified?  I don't see a wire or a mic, must be some sort of onboard wireless?  Whatever it is, it works really well.

He is plugged up, I see a Mogami connector going to a Henriksen Bud acoustic amp. Very nice amps.

https://www.henriksenamplifiers.com/product/the-bud/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

I have one somewhere. I used to play this several years ago. I'll see if I can find it, it's a great transcription, to the exact arrangement he's playing. I have tons of magazines spanning 40 years... it may take a while, but I'll look in my spare time 😉 

That’s really cool! I’d love to see that!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...