Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Stupid Deal of the Day--Quilter Pt II

Good deal. It is a good way to build a very portable pedalboard with a decently powered amp output. I THINK they have just been discontinued in favor of a more fully featured version....

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/quilter-labs-interblock-45-45w-guitar-amp-head

Naturally, it is more expensive, but might be more versatile. FWIW. there are a few dealers that do sell them (Quilter products) at 15-20% off in their periodic sales.

Just FYI...my local dealer is a HUGE  Quilter fan....
He  is always pushing Quilter products on me and he has a massive collection of vintage amps...mostly Fenders.  Big Quilter believer.

And yet when I asked him about this pedal/amp he said it was the one POS that Quilter made and that it sounded terrible and nothing like their other products. I trusted him and he knowingly lost a sale that day because he is a good, honest proprietor of tone. YMMV.

note: I didn’t ask about the improved version, the Interblock 45. It may be awesome. I will buy a Quilter head one day.

39 minutes ago, Jakeboy said:

Just FYI...my local dealer is a HUGE  Quilter fan....
He  is always pushing Quilter products on me and he has a massive collection of vintage amps...mostly Fenders.  Big Quilter believer.

And yet when I asked him about this pedal/amp he said it was the one POS that Quilter made and that it sounded terrible and nothing like their other products. I trusted him and he knowingly lost a sale that day because he is a good, honest proprietor of tone. YMMV.

note: I didn’t ask about the improved version, the Interblock 45. It may be awesome. I will buy a Quilter head one day.

FWIW, their combo amps (Aviator, now discontinued) and the Mach 2 are a lot of fun and very "gig ready". The "mini heads" are also very usable (and keep improving with each new iteration) but are best (IMO) with a tone shaping pedal or two.....My pedals of choice in that context are the Ethos OD and Strymon Flint. The newest mini (202) seems to get good reviews but i have not had a chance to test drive one. Maybe when the next "20% off sale" pops up......

I also like their designs on matching speaker cabinets but think they are overpriced......My rationale for doing some of my own "shop built" variations for my own personal use.

1 hour ago, Jakeboy said:

....he said it was the one POS that Quilter made and that it sounded terrible and nothing like their other products.....

Oh thanks a lot for raining on everyone's parade, Jake. Now tell me there's no Santa Claus while you're at it.

Anyone able to compare the Quilter amps to the DV Mark amps?

I only ask because it seems that musicians friend has been slamming me with DV Mark offers since Friday when I looked at the other Quilter that was SDOTD.

2 hours ago, hamerhead said:

Oh thanks a lot for raining on everyone's parade, Jake. Now tell me there's no Santa Claus while you're at it.

Lol maybe he’s wrong and it is glorious...???? One man’s trash/treasure and all....
IIRC it started out as a joke where Pat tried to make a super powerful amp in pedal size and then someone said “hmmmmmmm”....

On a final note, I am expecting a VeryVery cool amp from Quilter hopefully in 2020....if I am allowed to give details, I will. I’ll find out and report back. I think my local guy has inside info and let something out that he shouldn’t have...

I have Quilter Micro Pro Mark II head. Gotta' say, I love it. I've tried many different speaker cabs, but you have to mate it with the recommended Celestion BN12-300s speaker. (It's a bass speaker, but more a full-range speaker) Really lets the amp sound correct. The cleans are nice and fat, the OD is very flexible with the great tone shaping can cover Fenders to Marshall.  When my drummer says the amp sounds great, I know, I did good. haha!

Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 9.04.00 AM.png

27 minutes ago, Jakeboy said:

Well guys, any more reviews? I so hope they sound great and that my local store owner got it wrong...

I think I will just wait until they flesh out the details of that VeryVery cool amp they will be dropping in 2020.

...and I am effectively gagged on that. But if What I heard comes to pass and they execute it with the typical Quilter tone, it *could* be a game-changer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

BELATED UPDATE: So I finally took THEM out of the boxes (I got 2), hooked them to my old Boss GT-3 and into my freshly wired-in-stereo 2x12 cabinet, and gave them a workout at a 4-5 hour jam.

These little f***ers RAWK!

They have a really nice warm clean (the OD sucks) that works great with the GT-3, and plenty enough power to gig with. It's pretty amazing, really. I mean - c'mon, these things are the size of an MXR pedal! Once I figure out how to attach them directly to the GT-3, it'll make a killer grab 'n go set-up.

The only nit (for me) is the power supplies. A regular wall wart would have been preferable, but the GT-3 runs the same type (cord/box/cord) so it's not a big deal.

Next up will be a my full pedalboard. My guess is they will be just fine, but sometimes you get an unsuspected clash. We'll see.

So if you find one on clearance or the SDOD - get one. They sound great and are an absolute no-brainer as a backup. These take the Crate Powerblock (formerly the world's great backup) to another tiny level.

On 11/18/2019 at 12:18 PM, Hbom said:

Anyone able to compare the Quilter amps to the DV Mark amps?

I had a DV Mark amp for a few days. IMHO, it sounded OK, but it lacked the punch of a tube amp. I've never tried a Quilter, so I can't comment on those.

Archived