Hamer Fan Club Message Center

So I sold my two Cruise basses and my P bass to concentrate more on blues guitar. But I missed playing bass so when this showed up on craigslist (via the Hamer club on FB)  I thought I would contact the seller. Anyway .... pretty dang nice and weighs about as much as my strat ( 8lbs?)  Wow. 

DSC02346.jpg

Edited by Punkavenger
  • Like 14

I'm pretty sure ...  I dunno, what do you think?

DSC02344.jpg

DSC02346.jpg

Edited by Punkavenger
  • Like 1

Nice!  Imagine what it would weigh without the 2Tek.  Congrats and enjoy!

• Like 2

Very nice. Love the natural finish!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Punkavenger said:

I think it is alder ... just more highly figured than normal

Congratulations. I have access to a Cruise bass and use one for every track I lay down.

If it doesn't have a knot on it's backside, I'd assume it's ash. To my eyes, it's too blonde to be alder and this would have been the era where there was a massive stock of swamp ash available. That said, obviously alder blanks can come in blonde, knot-free and nearly as light as swamp ash so it could be alder just as you surmise. The Lake Placid Blue Cruise basses are all heavier and are probably alder... all of the painted Cruise basses are probably alder IMO.

To me, ash is harder than alder and makes better basses. Plus, clear finished alder is sort of avoided as a rule of thumb but... again there are plenty of exceptions to that rule.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, zenmindbeginner said:

Congratulations. I have access to a Cruise bass and use one for every track I lay down.

If it doesn't have a knot on it's backside, I'd assume it's ash. To my eyes, it's too blonde to be alder and this would have been the era where there was a massive stock of swamp ash available. That said, obviously alder blanks can come in blonde, knot-free and nearly as light as swamp ash so it could be alder just as you surmise. The Lake Placid Blue Cruise basses are all heavier and are probably alder... all of the painted Cruise basses are probably alder IMO.

To me, ash is harder than alder and makes better basses. Plus, clear finished alder is sort of avoided as a rule of thumb but... again there are plenty of exceptions to that rule.

No knots and some sections on the back even look a little flamey. Maybe it's maple?   :)

18 minutes ago, Punkavenger said:

DSC02347 (2).jpg

Oh shit.. this more neutral lower light picture shows the telltale red hue of alder... dangit, it's alder. 2 piece means that there could have been knots on the other side of the blank. Definitely AAA grade alder (hence the many open pores which gives it such beautiful texture).

• Like 2

The twilight shot. I'm just glad I didn't knock it off the railing, lol. It's about a 20' drop. I'm just glad it sounds so killer, definitely the best sounding of the 3 cruises I have owned. 

• Like 3

Hamer’s ‘94 and ‘95 Swamp Ash stock was actually pretty heavy.  Don’t recall exactly if that’s why they switched to Alder in ‘96 for most Cruise/Daytona/T-51 bodies, or not.

• Like 2

My CruiseBass is on every track too. That looks like alder to me. But I defer to our experts here. That is gorgeous in natural.

• Like 1

Looks like a very exceptional slab of alder. Very Nice. Congrats!

• Like 2

I had the sunburst version of this same bass, same year, and it was so, so good. Natural finish with a tort guard? NICE!!

• Like 1

Try with flatwounds. Gold records, yo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've never tried those gold ones but now I'm curious! La Bella makes my favorite strings ever and of their own offerings, if I were you I'd go for the 760FS set - .105 - .045. They make a slightly more flexible and melodious version of these branded for Sadowsky and these are my all-time favorites! Links:

Sadowsky Blue Flatwounds: https://www.sadowsky.com/product/blue-flatwound-bass-strings/

Or these La Bellas: http://www.labella.com/products/760fs-deep-talkin-bass-flats-standard-45-105/

My Cruise has EB Cobalt flats. Love them. Flats are so damn old skool and perfect.