Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What's everyone using for a "grab'n'go" amp?

gtone

Just wondering what you guys might be dragging around...

For me, I just put my Vintage 47 Ric Supreme chassis back into it's stock cab as it's more compact and a few lbs lighter. It growls/snarls better due to the more focused mids with the tiny cab, but it's sure lacking the low end and thump it had in the bigger custom cab. I imagine it records well but I haven't been involved in that for some time. Before our band dismantled, I almost always used a head and 2X12 cab for rehearsals/gigs, but now I prefer to drag a small combo for jams, etc in case there's nothing there to plug in to. 

Whadya got?

FullSizeRender.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't dig this one enough:

My 3MSMSHISHKOV0066.jpg

3 monkeys SM 1.jpg

Replaces my longtime Tech21, which replaced my Boogie Studio 22+.  Compared to the Sock Monkey, the Boogie is just too heavy and TOO LOUD (and it's not bad at all).

mystudio22.jpg

5 minutes ago, RobB said:

Soldano Astroverb16 head/Bogner 1x12 cube. Great by itself, AWESOME with a small, 'travel board."

Bet that sounds really good. How many pedals on the travel board btw?

1 minute ago, BoogieMKIIA said:

Mesa Boogie Express+ 5:25.  Changed the speaker to a Tone Tubby 40/40. Winterland also works well.

Is that one heavy? The only smaller Mesa combo I've come across were the Subway series from a while back. 

1 minute ago, gtone said:

I was wondering if you still had that Chris. Bet that kicks all kinds of ass...

I think that one finally found it's final home with me!  ;)

12 minutes ago, The Shark said:

'59 Deluxe.  I bring an overdrive pedal, a Neunaber Wet (reverb) and a Strymon El Capistan.  And maybe a Fulltone Clyde.  It all fits in the back of the amp.

qKl63et.jpg

Nice! Sure has the look you want in a Tweed.

I had a '51 Deluxe (5A3) that I gigged with a couple of times. Something special about the old seasoned pine cabs in those - reverberates like mad so that even cleaner notes ring forever...

56 minutes ago, gtone said:

Bet that sounds really good. How many pedals on the travel board btw?

polytune2 mini, chorus, delay and Lovepedal dirt (either a PurPlex+, Plexi100, Jubilee+). Oh, and Xotic miniwah on the floor. So, 4 plus one...

59 Tweed Deluxe Clone! Duncan delay, hall of fame reverb and a Barber Direct Drive, I’ve got an auto wah if it get’s funky and a home made fuzz if it gets old school dirty. That get me to most tones!! I also split the channels. 

Fender Super Champ XD, properly biased and with an Eminence Ragin' Cajun.  I don't use the models much, if at all, and rely on a dirt pedal instead.  Still, it has covered my needs nicely.  On those (rare) occasions when I needed additional grunt, it went into a head cab run into an oversize 1 x 12 with an Eminence Ramrod.

No muss, no fuss grab and go, one trip, a tweaked Pro Junior with an Eminence Copperhead and a Hamer Special with pickups out of an Eclipse.

This is my grab and go for gigs. The other guitarist in my band always gets pissed at me, he wants me to carry my 4x12 cab and JMP top. He always takes at least one 4x12, sometimes the whole full stack, to gigs. But I hate to carry stuff. And for club gigs the combo is easy to get on stage quickly, mike one of the speakers and adjust the volume according to the soundmans wishes. Then just roll it out after the gig and in to the car.

This is a Marshall 2040 combo from 1973. Rebuilt in to a JTM50 on channel two. Channel one is a 6G6-B type of circuit, but with EL34's of course. Solid state rectefier. I mostly use the JTM50 channel. It sounds like heaven. 1973 greenback G12H-30 speakers, one 75hz and one 55hz. 

It's a heavy beast. But it has got casters. So I just roll it, smooth, like a pimp.

y4mCzLP-SFDY6_e2OmJKcsPUzjpGAklGU4-y3_Ag

Lotsa drool-worthy stuff - keep 'em coming guys!! 😎

I love this place as you can see the diversity of HFC members' tastes in and approaches to the "grab'n'go" idea. There are no right/wrong solutions, only the ones that work for you.

Archived