Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What's everyone using for a "grab'n'go" amp?

gtone

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, RobB said:

Hmmmm...new for 2019 is an old/new switch. I was considering the EL34 option for the mini head, but sobered up to reality: I have 3 really nice amps, no need to add more. 

You do have nice amps however, I might add that since the addition of the two Splawns, I have pretty much sold all my other amps off... Boogie Mark III, Rivera, Soldano, various Marshalls, another Astroverb, Riviera era Fender Concert, etc... they just have that very cool Marshall~esque sound that's been in my head since the 80s... I encourage you to try one out 😉

1 hour ago, Dave Scepter said:

You do have nice amps however, I might add that since the addition of the two Splawns, I have pretty much sold all my other amps off... Boogie Mark III, Rivera, Soldano, various Marshalls, another Astroverb, Riviera era Fender Concert, etc... they just have that very cool Marshall~esque sound that's been in my head since the 80s... I encourage you to try one out 😉

I'm curious about the Splawn Super Sport amp head or 1x12 combo amp, but have never tried a Splawn amp locally or ever seen one for sale except online. 

Guitar George

I have an SS combo (6v6), but the EL34 option is very tempting in mini head. 50w, though... I don’t think I could ever get it loud enough to get the power tubes cooking. 

The gaping mouths of amazement when I bring the SS to jams, oh lawdy! “Holy shit, bro, where’d you get that?!”, etc. 

58 minutes ago, Hamer95USA said:

I'm curious about the Splawn Super Sport amp head or 1x12 combo amp, but have never tried a Splawn amp locally or ever seen one for sale except online.                                                                                                                                                                                 

They’re hard to find used, George. I guess owners don’t want to give them up. 

Besides having a killer, modded-JCM800 tone (2 modes, 2 ODs), the clean channel is excellent. You can live on that channel alone with the right boost/OD box. The FX loop welcomes stompoxes or rack effects.   I use a Talisman reverb in the loop and it sounds great  with both channels. 

35 minutes ago, RobB said:

EL34 option is very tempting in mini head. 50w, though... I don’t think I could ever get it loud enough to get the power tubes cooking. 

I find a 1/2 power option with the loop master volume to be very useful features... also there is a 6v6 SS 112 & a EL34S 50w  112 On Reverb "just to try out" but highly recommend the mini heads

Splawn Super Sport Combo https://reverb.com/item/28160239-splawn-super-sport-combo?_aid=pla&utm_source=android-app&utm_medium=share

2019 Splawn Super Sport Combo, 50w, EL34 https://reverb.com/item/29790833-2019-splawn-super-sport-combo-50w-el34?utm_source=android-app&utm_medium=share

36 minutes ago, Dave Scepter said:

I find a 1/2 power option with the loop master volume to be very useful features... 

There it is, right there...

I'm not sure about the smaller heads & combos, but, when using the loop master on the 100w heads you shouldn't crank them above half-way. You also need to cut the cab ohms in half when using the half/power option.  

I absolutely love my (big, heavy) Quick Rod!

2 hours ago, Dave Scepter said:

You mean, switch the "Amp" selector in half right?  😉

When using the half/power switch you need to lower the impedance selector by half, despite the rating of your cab. 

This is Scott Splawn's advice for the Quick Rod & Pro Mod 100s, though I can't tell you exactly why... pentode vs triode thing? 

It's in the owner's manual as well (rear panel controls):

8. Half Power Switch - Disconnects the outside power tubes (Always set the amps impedance to half of the speaker cabinets impedance when in half power)

PS - Keeping the OP's thread on-track, my Tech 21 TM-60 was pretty awesome, but my next "grab & go" will likely be another Splawn… 😎   

13 hours ago, gtone said:

Approximate weight of that puppy? See you have a flight case for it so that only adds to the equation...

I did add 4" casters to the bottom of the flight case. I would estimate that in the case, it's gotta be around 60 - 70 lbs?

But it's the smallest amp I own (other than a Yamaha THR10 that I use to practice alone.)

A Pre-Peavey Budda SD18 Series II 1x12 Combo.  

Does everything I need, and it's built like a tank.  Seriously, was playing a gig in Austin back over the summer and had it fall out of the back of a Suburban into the parking lot.  I thought for sure I was fucked, but nope - it was good to go.  It's tumbled over in the back of my truck a time or two as well - after typing this, I think I've realized I really need a road case for it.  

Side note - I loaned it to a buddy of mine here that does sound at one of the larger local venues, and when he brought it back the next day, he said the thing blew his mind.  I've seen him deal with everything from Friedmans to Kempers up there with touring bands, but he said he's never had an amp on stage that cut through a mix that well and was so easy to mix.  

Sounds good and is built well enough to handle my occasional brain farts.  What more could you really want for $700? 

13 minutes ago, LucSulla said:

What more could you really want for $700? 

A Superdrive 30! LOL The Budda's are amazing amps and underrated like no other. 

Easy to mix? That is because they tuned the amp that way. Only amp i've owned that I never changed the speaker out on. Mine still have the original solder joints intact. 

Except for the Mesa 2x12 rig I used 2011-2016 in Wizard Sleeves/Ded Mullet, I have been grab n go for 25 years. All my current gear definately qualifies; Fender 65 DRRI (w/ Quilter 101 head as backup) is used for band gigs, Katana 50w for solo looper gigs, Zoom G2 direct for duo gigs. I leave a Microcube at the EMS base. I still have a Mesa 1x12 cab sitting unused upstairs. If I had to, I could do it all w/ the Katana.

Archived